Post-Game Talk: Game #11: Canucks 5, Islanders 4 in OT - Who Needs Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Love Torts' comments about Bieksa. The guy is a warrior! Best player on the ice last night.
And don't look now but guess who is tied for the NHL league in plus minus.
If Torts can bring structure to Bieksa's game then he could surprisingly be the biggest beneficiary of the coaching change. It's surprising because many thought he would be in the doghouse by now.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Nothing obvious about it until we see just how motivated Booth is when he plays tomorrow.

Plus we won the game so no harm done. At the very worst that one goal made us surrender one point to the Eastern conference. Moot.

Yeah I don't understand how scratching Booth looks like a mistake at this point. We won the game and have no idea how Booth will react. At this point it looks more like a great move than a bad one. See how it plays out, but if you change the lineup and win on the road, that's a plus as a coach.

Winning matters, not David Booth's feelings.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Yeah I don't understand how scratching Booth looks like a mistake at this point. We won the game and have no idea how Booth will react. At this point it looks more like a great move than a bad one. See how it plays out, but if you change the lineup and win on the road, that's a plus as a coach.

Winning matters, not David Booth's feelings.

Booth doesn't strike me as the type who wilts under criticism/tough coaching, hope to see him bounce back.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I think Tortorella's comments on Bieksa and the fact that Bieksa looks better than he ever has as a Canuck is exactly what I was hoping for from Tortorella. The team has stopped being passive and is trying to imprint itself on each game.

Heck, even up 4-3 in the 3rd they outshot the Islanders 8-3 to start the period.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Anyone mind linking me to the Torts comments on Juice? I'm sure they're right under my nose here but I can't seem to find anything.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Anyone mind linking me to the Torts comments on Juice? I'm sure they're right under my nose here but I can't seem to find anything.

I don't have the audio:
“I just think he is a warrior,†Tortorella said. “We all know what he brings. I think we need more of that strut within our team. At times he gets sloppy, but in these types of situations he is the type of guy you want on the ice.

“I think we can correct some of the things and teach how we want him to play a little bit more defensively in certain situations. But he is a gun-slinger and I like that. We need more gun-slingers.â€

Bieksa's comments were interesting too:

Bieksa just smiled when he was asked if he’s enjoying playing Tortorella’s system, which encourages the defencemen to get involved offensively and on the forecheck.

“What do you think,†he said with a big smile. “I’m all over the place. I love it. . there’s a lot of creativity that is encouraged, a lot of jumping into the play and for me and for all of our D who can skate we love the opportunity to jump in and keep pucks in and the forwards loe it, too.â€

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
I basically take crap for my ideas but you if you want to be pro-active:

1 - Hire someone with universal respect at President (which is a schooze role) someone like Wayne Gretzky who nobody would ever rip and who's good reputation would eclipse our bad reputation. Eastern media will gravitate to the team providing positive coverage naturally in order to get more time with the President.

2 - Hire a recent ex-referee to actually help the team improve it's relationships with referees. Ask him how different refs feel about our team and what we can do to improve that. If we're going to go with a "no complaining" strategy, that strategy should be enforced by a former peer letting other refs in the community know that we hired them to help with that so that they know that we respect their opinions and are trying to work with them.

3 - If it comes to light that we don't get calls specifically because of Burrows. Offer through back channels to have Burrows deliver a cheque for $1M (like one of those giant show cheques) on behalf of the Canucks to hockey Canada in support of referee training or something like that to show that we are trying to improve the situation.

Complaining to the media, as some posters have suggested, is certainly not the way to get help from the refs or the NHL. These are old school guys that like to handle stuff in-house. It's the game within the game, and if we play it the way we have in the past (by *****ing to the media) we will get burned.

How is any of this anything other than PR ********?

The first two are basically getting a hired gun to do your complaining for you (unless you think the President is going to evaluate the organization and suggest internal changes that make it likelier to get a fair shake, in which case you've demoted Mike Gillis from his position as President and hired a boss.. how's that going to go).

The third is basically saying "hey world, the state of hockey officiating is SO AWFUL that here's Alex Burrows of all people giving away money in an attempt to change things."

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
I don't have the audio:
“I just think he is a warrior,†Tortorella said. “We all know what he brings. I think we need more of that strut within our team. At times he gets sloppy, but in these types of situations he is the type of guy you want on the ice.

“I think we can correct some of the things and teach how we want him to play a little bit more defensively in certain situations. But he is a gun-slinger and I like that. We need more gun-slingers.â€

Bieksa just smiled when he was asked if he’s enjoying playing Tortorella’s system, which encourages the defencemen to get involved offensively and on the forecheck.

“What do you think,†he said with a big smile. “I’m all over the place. I love it. . there’s a lot of creativity that is encouraged, a lot of jumping into the play and for me and for all of our D who can skate we love the opportunity to jump in and keep pucks in and the forwards love it, too.â€

Thanks!

SnapIt

Feb 19, 2013
Love Torts' comments about Bieksa. The guy is a warrior! Best player on the ice last night.
And don't look now but guess who is tied for the NHL league in plus minus.
If Torts can bring structure to Bieksa's game then he could surprisingly be the biggest beneficiary of the coaching change. It's surprising because many thought he would be in the doghouse by now.

Yep. I thought Bieksa was going to be the most difficult project. Glad I'm wrong.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
I don't have the audio:

“What do you think,†he said with a big smile. “I’m all over the place. I love it. . there’s a lot of creativity that is encouraged, a lot of jumping into the play and for me and for all of our D who can skate we love the opportunity to jump in and keep pucks in and the forwards love it, too.â€

But it's just 5 guys collapsing to the front of the net and playing the trap!!! :sarcasm:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I actually thought Bieksa's best play came on Higgins' goal. He very nearly got himself into hot water at center ice, but stayed hard on the puck and carried it into the zone. Particularly in the replay, you can see him look up, spot Higgins coming down the far wing, and then I am 100% certain he fired a low, hard shot to the side with the intention of going for a rebound.

That was a really smart play by Juice, IMO.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
I actually thought Bieksa's best play came on Higgins' goal. He very nearly got himself into hot water at center ice, but stayed hard on the puck and carried it into the zone. Particularly in the replay, you can see him look up, spot Higgins coming down the far wing, and then I am 100% certain he fired a low, hard shot to the side with the intention of going for a rebound.

He almost did the same thing again except nobody was able to pick up the huge rebound Nabokov threw right up the slot.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary

:laugh: I always try to make that play in shinny, I pretty much always manage to somehow put it high glove side. :help:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

He said in the post game that he heard Higgins shout and that was what he was trying to do. He said it's one of those plays you either look great on or look like an idiot when the goalie steers it to the corner. Last night, I don't think it was ever a mistake to shoot the puck on Nabakov.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
The Canucks really are shooting from everywhere this year. That makes me think their shooting percentage will remain lower than normal. I would say we have typically over passed in the Sedin style under AV so I'm happy to see a change as most of our personnel need to some luck and hard work to score.

Last edited:

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
Booth must be feeling pretty crappy about being benched for 37 sec of Andrew Alberts. That is pretty much the worst punishment Torts can give. I hope it fires him up!

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
How is any of this anything other than PR ********?

The first two are basically getting a hired gun to do your complaining for you (unless you think the President is going to evaluate the organization and suggest internal changes that make it likelier to get a fair shake, in which case you've demoted Mike Gillis from his position as President and hired a boss.. how's that going to go).

The third is basically saying "hey world, the state of hockey officiating is SO AWFUL that here's Alex Burrows of all people giving away money in an attempt to change things."

Yeah, some of those ideas are way too suck up-ish to me. The last thing I want the Canucks to do is suck up to the refs, of all people. Don't take it up the "you know what".

Honestly, the coach and the players need to start giving the refs a verbal lickin'. At least that way they'd still have their pride. I bet the absolute last thing Burrows wants to do is hand over a big fact check that supports the reffing community in any way. I would hope he has a bit more pride than that.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The only thing they can do is put their heads down, work hard and play hard, honest hockey. If they do that game in and game out the refs perspective of the team will change.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Yeah, some of those ideas are way too suck up-ish to me. The last thing I want the Canucks to do is suck up to the refs, of all people. Don't take it up the "you know what".

Honestly, the coach and the players need to start giving the refs a verbal lickin'. At least that way they'd still have their pride. I bet the absolute last thing Burrows wants to do is hand over a big fact check that supports the reffing community in any way. I would hope he has a bit more pride than that.

If you want the Canucks to give the refs a verbal lickin', you cannot ***** and complain when **** calls go against the Canucks.

Cause that is what has and willing continue to happen.

The poster is trying to find solutions to the obvious fact that the Canucks get ****ed over in regards to reffing.

If you don't like the suggestions, fine; but then offer up a reasonable solution.

That or keep quiet when things don't go the Canucks way like it never does.

Unless a stanchion is involved.

MrShift4

GRRRR.......Babe
Aug 17, 2011
Calgary
The Canucks really are shooting from everywhere this year. That makes me think their shooting percentage will remain lower than normal. I would say we have typically over passed in the Sedin style under AV so I'm happy to see a change as most of our personnel need to some luck and hard work to score.

Now they just need to add net crashing to this tactic.
Which is how we got a couple of goals last night if I remember right.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
If you want the Canucks to give the refs a verbal lickin', you cannot ***** and complain when **** calls go against the Canucks.

Cause that is what has and willing continue to happen.

The poster is trying to find solutions to the obvious fact that the Canucks get ****ed over in regards to reffing.

If you don't like the suggestions, fine; but then offer up a reasonable solution.

That or keep quiet when things don't go the Canucks way like it never does.

Unless a stanchion is involved.

No, I WILL continue to complain because it's the refs' job to call the game properly, regardless. If they were just doing their job and calling the game fairly then it wouldn't have even come to this point. You see other players and coaches around the league giving it to the refs so why can't any members of the Canucks organization?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad