Post-Game Talk: Game #11: Canucks 5, Islanders 4 in OT - Who Needs Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
An ugly game technically, but damn if it wasn't kind of fun to watch (defensive breakdowns and deplorable officiating notwithstanding).

Thought Bieksa and Kesler had really, really damn good games. In Bieksa's case, it's the continuation of his strong play to start the season. In Kesler's case, tonight offered some promise after some rough outings.

Kassian rebounded with a strong game tonight, too. He was really good against Buffalo and Pittsburgh, but then looked pedestrian against Columbus. Nice to see him bounce back.

Hard to say anything about Santorelli - and Richardson, for that matter - that hasn't been said already. Both looking like excellent bargain bin depth signings right about now.

LOL at Alberts' -1 in 37 seconds of TOI. How has this guy not been waived yet?

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Any update on Hansen?

All blake price said was that he heard its a shoulder injury and not overly serious but expects him to miss a few/some games.

Very vague but its all i heard. Almost as if its just a sore shoulder right now, but who knows.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Luongo looked pretty human. Whatever.

Anybody know what happens to dog house players on a Torts team? It looks like Alberts and Booth are going to find out.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
I got a great quote from a player while engaging in some casual conversation after the game about Kassian’s disallowed goal. And the player used quite the descriptive for the official who overturned what was called a goal.

Should I use it? It’s vulgar.

-Botch

Outside99*

Anyone notice Andrew Alberts TOI tonihgt?

37 seconds. And he was a minus 1 lol

If you look at the replay of that goal, Alberts is not the only one at fault. Yes he didn't look ready but some of that has to be on the coaching staff as it is their job to prepare the players - heck he was taking the warm up at center.

LolClarkson*

Had you told me that we could have either Bo Horvat or Nino Neidderreiter and Ryan Pulock on the morning of the draft I probably would have preferred NYI's package.

That's simply because I had Pulock going 9th. :p:

Id take the Isles package too... WTH Gillis:loony:

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Garrison has to be the most ripped Canuck by far.

Dem pecs.

booth should be 2nd added to the beast in the gym as well. higgins 6 pack?:) as for andrew alberts, i think it all started in the pre season... when edmonton destroyed vancouver given the rosters were split. and he was on ice for most of them. therefore torts doesn't trust him or doesn't want to play him. waive him already

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
He was, but do not a lot of posters here preach patience with players and looking at the bigger picture? The same should have applied to Edler. Eventually he was going to put all the tools he possessed together and become the #1 guy us fans have been craving and it looks like he is now.

Uh, no. Not a lot of posters here preach patience with players or look at the bigger picture. Wouldn't need all that many fingers to count them, in fact.

----------------------------------------------------------

Sloppy game a lot of the time. Lu...okayish. Made some showstoppers, flubbed a couple. Better than usual for October though, I'll give him that.

Edler, Stanton, Kassian, Hamhuis, Higgins: strong games.

Bieksa, Kesler, Sedins: great games.

Hansen: dammit! Don't be too badly hurt.

Tanev: Don't notice him very often...but in a good way.

--Does anyone actually think that disallowed goal should've counted? Really? Sure, it would've been nice if that rule actually applied when someone was sitting on Luongo and everything, but these are NHL refs we're talking about. I no longer go into any game with the expectation of competent or unbiased officials. It's like the WWF, and we're always going to be the heels. It's just the way it is, folks. There's literally nothing we can do, so there's no point complaining about it.

--Of course, it would be nice if the team could bloody do something with the PPs they do get. That BADLY needs to get fixed, pronto.

--Santorelli and Richardson still looking like brilliant bargain bin finds.

Call up Shinkaruk or Horvat...? Possibility...? At all?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I thought Luongo was pretty damn good. Islanders got clear shots on the net untouched in the slot multiple times tonight.

Conflicted on Luongo tonight. Let in a couple he'd want back, had a bit of luck at times, and brilliant at others. In peak form he stops 1 or 2 of those goals, he's letting in about .5 goals a game more than he'd like atm. Onwards to November Luongo.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
Luongo was good enough to win. It was a loose game so it's not surprising that the winning team allowed 4 goals. I thought that the Islander's handled the puck better than we did, and the real difference was Nabokov, who looked uncomfortable.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Conflicted on Luongo tonight. Let in a couple he'd want back, had a bit of luck at times, and brilliant at others. In peak form he stops 1 or 2 of those goals, he's letting in about .5 goals a game more than he'd like atm. Onwards to November Luongo.

Well, he's not peak form Luongo...and to be honest I'm not sure if you mean that it's October or not 2003-04 anymore.

People tend to remember more about the goals in this town rather than the ones that weren't goals. Nothing against you, that's just my personal feeling about most fans in Vancouver.

And as good as I thought Luongo was, I wouldn't say he was the best player on our side tonight.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Just saw the replays. Couldnt tell what happened with the winning goal. It looked like Bieksa knocked it in but its credited to Richardson.

Anyone explain what happened?

Lowkey

Nov 24, 2006
Just saw the replays. Couldnt tell what happened with the winning goal. It looked like Bieksa knocked it in but its credited to Richardson.

I think it may have went in off Nabokov or else they saw it that way and just haven't credited it to Bieksa yet.

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011

It looked like Richardson passed it to the centre and hit off an Isles player and went in. I think it looked as if Bieksa got a piece of it since he just swung at Nabakov's pads and didn't really make a contact with the puck.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Call up Shinkaruk or Horvat...? Possibility...? At all?

No, not until their Junior teams are eliminated from the playoffs. In Horvat's case, he'll be in the Memorial Cup this spring due to London being the host team. Host teams get automatic berths in the tournament.

The decision has obviously been made in both their cases. Both needed a year of conditioning and strength training to stick in the pro leagues. This isn't the Flames, Oilers, Leafs or Avalanche, teams who don't consider themselves serious cup contenders and feel the need to rush in younger players to give the fans something to watch. If we are depending on 18 year olds to bail us out, we're in bigger trouble than we thought.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Sloppy game but strangely entertaining. I like it when we win, so much better then losing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad