GDT: Game 10: Sharks @ Avs | Tuesday, October 28th, 7pm MT | Memory Lane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Time to start a three game winning streak! Winchester will bring the mojo.

Really hope he plays next game. It'll be nice to get Cliche out of there. Would prefer McLeod sitting but he probably has too much heart, character, and leadership to be a healthy scratch.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Since all the negative nancies are here who don't mind the Avs losing, I'll point out some positives:

- Landy finally looked like Landy in the 3rd. That line of he, Duchene, and ROR could be dominant.
- MacKinnon had his best game yet, IMO.
- EJ cranked it up the second half of the game and showed how dominant he can really be.
- Everyone's favorite whipping boy Stuart has been a monster on the PK and really hasn't been that bad, outside of his non-existent puck skills.

If they keep that line together I feel they need to go with a Tanguay-Mitchell-Iginla line. Tanguay and Mitchell seem to play well together and there's obvious chemistry with Tangs and Iggy.

That third line though. McGinn with MacKinnon is fine. But Talbot.... yeah, no. I'd rather Briere be there than Talbot

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Pretty sure this was the only game where MacKinnon wasn't struggling. Probably his best overall game IMO. No problem with Roy doing that. Team didn't show up until the 3rd/OT. Had some chances at the end, Duchene almost buried one.
It doesn't matter if this was MacKinnon's best game (it definitely was), he is still struggling and practically stopping all momentum with his U-turns when he enters the zone. No problem with Roy doing that? Well enjoy losing because Iginla could have won this game since all they did was set up MacKinnon and Barrie for one timers. Please prove to me that MacKinnon has a better shot than Iginla.

Like I said, you can do it when you're around .500, not when you need points and WINS. Extremely lousy coaching if you ask me.

EJ was amazing. This team needs to be aggressive all the time. We're going to be giving up a ton of chances no matter what so we might as well take some risks and play aggressive.
Agreed, especially with Varlamov in net. Only problem is Avs are spending more than half of the period in the defensive zone.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
No defensive scheme is going to turn Hejda, Stuart, Barrie, Holden, Redmond, Guenin into defensive stalwarts. Roy's man on man has been exposed this year but we'd be just as badly exposed in a traditional structure.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I can't believe we are back to being angry over losing a shootout. And to San Jose. You really think they were easily going to outright win this one? Maybe some people need to manage expectations. Like quit looking at the playoffs, if they get there they get there. There is no sense standings watching now.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
No defensive scheme is going to turn Hejda, Stuart, Barrie, Holden, Redmond, Guenin into defensive stalwarts. Roy's man on man has been exposed this year but we'd be just as badly exposed in a traditional structure.

Truth.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs are 28th in the league in P%. Only Buffalo and Carolina lower.

Last year things went their way most of the time. This year everything goes against them combined with the fire drill defensive system.

The goalies have been good for the most part and the team still can't win.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Confidence isn't going to turn the team around though. There are significant flaws with the team and how they play the game in general. Last year so many games were won on lucky bounces, late goals, comebacks and Varlamov standing on his head. Just hoping for more of the same isn't going to do it. You guys are free to do so though, cross your fingers for 50 saves and a shootout.

Did you not see the difference between landeskog in the third period and every other game this season? How can you look at that and still refuse to understand how important getting confident and into the season can be for an athlete.

Last year this team won because the forwards did a ton on both ends of the ice, and our best players played great without facing many injuries until we were already rolling, not because we crossed our fingers for 50 saves and a shootout harder.

The defense won't be great, but this team has more than enough talent to beat out the likes of Nashville, Phoenix, Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg and Edmonton for a spot in the playoffs, and earning a playoff spot through a much more adversity-filled season is what we were gunna have to do this year.

The way to get there isn't by losing, no tank is the answer to where we are now, no this team needs to start putting together some wins and getting our players to play as well as they can.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Really hope he plays next game. It'll be nice to get Cliche out of there. Would prefer McLeod sitting but he probably has too much heart, character, and leadership to be a healthy scratch.

Would definitely prefer McLeod to sit over Cliche. Cliche at least brings SOMETHING to the table. McLeod? He sucks

member 116861

I don't get the Hejda bashing. He is a completely different defender when paired with EJ.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This in addition to just not being able to score is going to kill us. We've only managed to score more than 2 goals twice this year and even then we still lost 2 of those games.

Our defense is just bringing us down we spend way too much time in our own zone getting pinned and outmuscled at every possible turn. There's no transition game and thus no offense. At least last year the forwards were supporting our defensemen but this year we're an absolute mess. Looks just like the Sacco years.

This was the most underrated aspect of last years team and the reason for their success, and it's probably one of the biggest reasons for their failures so far this year. Everyone is so spread out. They're not playing as the unit of 5 they played as all last year, and coming back to take away the middle of the ice, forcing all the shots to the outside. They gave up lots of shots last year too, but they were far, far less dangerous.

They're playing Joe Sacco fire wagon hockey and leaving the neutral zone wide open for teams to rush the puck into the zone un contested.

Combine that with not being prepared to start games, not being mentally focused and blowing passes, not reacting quick enough, and only playing the way they did last year for about 10 minutes a game, and that is what's plaguing the team.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
If they keep that line together I feel they need to go with a Tanguay-Mitchell-Iginla line. Tanguay and Mitchell seem to play well together and there's obvious chemistry with Tangs and Iggy.

That third line though. McGinn with MacKinnon is fine. But Talbot.... yeah, no. I'd rather Briere be there than Talbot
It will absolutely be MacKinnon with Tanguay and Iginla. And it should be. MacKinnon needs to play, and he needs to play with talented players.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I can't believe we are back to being angry over losing a shootout. And to San Jose. You really think they were easily going to outright win this one? Maybe some people need to manage expectations. Like quit looking at the playoffs, if they get there they get there. There is no sense standings watching now.

You really think people are upset because of a shootout loss? Watch the first two periods again and you'll see why people might be upset. The Sharks haven't even been playing that well but they were still skating circles around the Avs and made them look like an AHL team through 40 minutes.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
roy please recall everberg and roll these lines

landeskog-duchene-o'reilly
tanguay-mitchell-iginla
mcginn-mackinnon-everberg
Talbot-Winchester-briere

4th line is designated pk killers.

when mack gets rolling again switch with mitchell

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I hope Varly said something after the game. Didn't have to be much. Just one sentence would do. Something like, "guys we really have to be better."

I think that would actually carry a lot of weight and get guys to wake up. Their starts have been brutal this year.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It will absolutely be MacKinnon with Tanguay and Iginla. And it should be. MacKinnon needs to play, and he needs to play with talented players.

Well playing with talented players so far has not done anything for him. I'm not trying to point the finger at MacKinnon but as soon as Landeskog and O'Reilly were taken away from MacKinnon, they immediately started to play better.

I've said it once I'll say it again. Play MacKinnon on the 3rd line and give him easier match-ups. It's the only way to get him going again IMO, for him to feast on weaker players. Let Mitchell roll with Tangs and Iggy

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It doesn't matter if this was MacKinnon's best game (it definitely was), he is still struggling and practically stopping all momentum with his U-turns when he enters the zone. No problem with Roy doing that? Well enjoy losing because Iginla could have won this game since all they did was set up MacKinnon and Barrie for one timers. Please prove to me that MacKinnon has a better shot than Iginla.

Like I said, you can do it when you're around .500, not when you need points and WINS. Extremely lousy coaching if you ask me.

Agreed, especially with Varlamov in net. Only problem is Avs are spending more than half of the period in the defensive zone.

Doesn't matter that MacKinnon made a nice pass to Barrie that if he buried would have looked like an amazing play.

Like it or not this team depends on what MacKinnon does. He's going to carry the team's play a lot more than you'd hope.

Choosing Tanguay to go first in the SO was a worse decision.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
roy please recall everberg and roll these lines

landeskog-duchene-o'reilly
tanguay-mitchell-iginla
mcginn-mackinnon-everberg
Talbot-Winchester-briere

4th line is designated pk killers.

when mack gets rolling again switch with mitchell

So waive Cliche and sit McLeod? I dare you to suggest that.....

11318428816_63df0860c8_o.gif

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Well playing with talented players so far has not done anything for him. I'm not trying to point the finger at MacKinnon but as soon as Landeskog and O'Reilly were taken away from MacKinnon, they immediately started to play better.

I've said it once I'll say it again. Play MacKinnon on the 3rd line and give him easier match-ups. It's the only way to get him going again IMO, for him to feast on weaker players. Let Mitchell roll with Tangs and Iggy

He will never get going and this team will suffer for it. This team depends a lot on MacKinnon, more than most people would like to admit. They need his talent and that talent has to produce to create wins. He's not someone that is going to shine with 14 minutes of ice time.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
These faceoff numbers have to change:

Duchene - 4 for 14 - 28.6%
O'Reilly - 8 for 18 - 44.4%
Cliche - 4 for 13 - 30.8%

Fortunately Mack continues to do well, and Mitchell was average.

MacKinnon - 7 for 12 - 58.3%
Mitchell - 9 for 17 - 52.9%

Duchene and O'Reilly have to be better though. They both suck in the faceoff circle every night it seems. They used to be good.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He will never get going and this team will suffer for it. This team depends a lot on MacKinnon, more than most people would like to admit. They need his talent and that talent has to produce to create wins. He's not someone that is going to shine with 14 minutes of ice time.

I agree he needs more time but this team needs wins. Now. And right now MacKinnon isn't doing anything to win this team games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad