GDT: Game 10: Sharks @ Avs | Tuesday, October 28th, 7pm MT | Memory Lane

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Did I say I wanted to blow up the team? (though I can think of at least 8 players that should be sent out as quickly as possible for anything possible)

Make some game plan changes. Do something other than shuffle up the lines every 3 shifts.

Winning this game in a shootout, and even being close in some of the other games because we managed to score some powerplay goals or lucky short handed goals does nothing but make things out to be less severe than they really are.

Then define this big change that's going to be made over losing this game.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
:laugh: Surely this is a joke right?

Were 10 games in. 72 games left and we'd have to get 85 points to hit 95.

That's what, 42-29-1....

That's hardly an unbelievable record.

We need to calm down about the playoff stuff yet. Still lots of hockey to be played, and were only a couple points out of the picture right now, while clearly playing some pretty below average hockey.

Avs have 8 points. They need to go 43-28-1 to get 95 points and we don't know if 95 points is enough. This doesn't look like a team that will be able to play .604 hockey the rest of the season.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
It's a shootout for godsakes. At that point it's a coin flip. At this point we've gotten points in every game that wasn't Minnesota or Pickard played. If you think Roy is going to put his foot in their ass over losing a shootout you'll be sadly mistaken.

San Jose ALWAYS gets 40-50 shots. I'd like to know the scoring chances.

It's a coin flip and even then Roy has to buck the system and do what no other coach in the NHL does, which ends up potentially costing his team the game.

Weast

May 16, 2011
:laugh: Surely this is a joke right?

Were 10 games in. 72 games left and we'd have to get 85 points to hit 95.

That's what, 42-29-1....

That's hardly an unbelievable record.

We need to calm down about the playoff stuff yet. Still lots of hockey to be played, and were only a couple points out of the picture right now, while clearly playing some pretty below average hockey.

With the way we are playing, that record seems out of reach

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Man, I'd hate to be in the room with a lot of you guys when something doesn't go your way in real life. I'm picturing half of you throwing Legos at your mom.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The futility of the OT power play made me angry...so angry.

It was bad. So easy for the Sharks to just stand there and defend as the Avs passed back and forth and launched some bad looking one-timers.

Almost had a nice scoring chance when Duchene sent it to Landeskog in front but no dice.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
That said we're never going to be a force as long as we're icing pairings like Stuart - Barrie and Holden - Redmond for significant minutes.

This in addition to just not being able to score is going to kill us. We've only managed to score more than 2 goals three times this year and even then we still lost 2 of those games.

Our defense is just bringing us down we spend way too much time in our own zone getting pinned and outmuscled at every possible turn. There's no transition game and thus no offense. At least last year the forwards were supporting our defensemen but this year we're an absolute mess. Looks just like the Sacco years.

Last edited:

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
For **** sakes, what was Hedja doing on that 2nd goal? :facepalm: I am on the verge of wanting to have Gervais over him. :laugh:

And some horribly godawful coaching by Roy....You have one of the best one timers in the league sitting on the bench in Iginla, and you put a struggling-turn-when-I-enter-the-zone MacKinnon. :facepalm: Roy you deserved to lose this game and glad you did. You can put a struggling MacKinnon when our record is above .500, not when we're on the verge of needing the points.

Pretty sure this was the only game where MacKinnon wasn't struggling. Probably his best overall game IMO. No problem with Roy doing that. Team didn't show up until the 3rd/OT. Had some chances at the end, Duchene almost buried one.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
It's a shootout for godsakes. At that point it's a coin flip. At this point we've gotten points in every game that wasn't Minnesota or Pickard played. If you think Roy is going to put his foot in their ass over losing a shootout you'll be sadly mistaken.

San Jose ALWAYS gets 40-50 shots. I'd like to know the scoring chances.

You are right. The Avs have definitely played well this year. Just unlucky.

And the Sharks definitely 100%, no doubt a bout it, get 40-50 shots a game. Except for first 11 games they played this season, where they have not had more then 40 SOG until tonite.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Confidence isn't going to turn the team around though. There are significant flaws with the team and how they play the game in general. Last year so many games were won on lucky bounces, late goals, comebacks and Varlamov standing on his head. Just hoping for more of the same isn't going to do it. You guys are free to do so though, cross your fingers for 50 saves and a shootout.

I'm one of the more negative people here but I still hate losing. I'll take a win regardless of how it comes. Sacco-esque tanking doesn't help organizations that much since by the time your shiny pick is ready to break out a la Duchene you lose valuable players of tenure like Stastny this past summer and probably O'reilly in the future.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Since all the negative nancies are here who don't mind the Avs losing, I'll point out some positives:

- Landy finally looked like Landy in the 3rd. That line of he, Duchene, and ROR could be dominant.
- MacKinnon had his best game yet, IMO.
- EJ cranked it up the second half of the game and showed how dominant he can really be.
- Everyone's favorite whipping boy Stuart has been a monster on the PK and really hasn't been that bad, outside of his non-existent puck skills.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Winning the game would have just had them saying "Well we won, must be doing something right!". Maybe losing enough games will make them look at themselves and make some changes.

I don't think there's any amount of introspection that can turn Hejda or Stuart into a top pairing defensemen. Unless I'm wrong about that what they need is some confidence and momentum to put together a few full games of playing loose and fired up hockey, not more frustration and trying to force things.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
A new defensive system, that everyone in the NHL doesn't see as a joke.

It's not the system. The players have been playing like crap most of the year, and they played like crap most of this game until the end of the 3rd period. Plus it doesn't help that their D core has been their achilles heel for almost a decade. Why isn't that obvious to everyone?

It's so easy to just blame Roy or the system. It's as simple and wrong as pointing to their corsi and saying regression was inevitable.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It was bad. So easy for the Sharks to just stand there and defend as the Avs passed back and forth and launched some bad looking one-timers.

Almost had a nice scoring chance when Duchene sent it to Landeskog in front but no dice.

I don't know why they don't do what Florida did to us. If you want a one-timer so bad, passing back and forth at the point isn't going to cut it. You need that player on the right side of the net to slide up around the two point men, the RD to pass it down to the forward at the left post, the RD drives the net and takes the PK'er with him, and then the forward hits the high sliding forward for a one timer. You need movement on a PP if you want to get one-timers off, not just inter-changing between MacK and Barrie with Duchene standing around doing nothing (not his fault, the other two QB'ing that did a horrid job)

member 116861

EJ was amazing. This team needs to be aggressive all the time. We're going to be giving up a ton of chances no matter what so we might as well take some risks and play aggressive.

avsrule

Jul 3, 2003
Pretty sure this was the only game where MacKinnon wasn't struggling. Probably his best overall game IMO. No problem with Roy doing that. Team didn't show up until the 3rd/OT. Had some chances at the end, Duchene almost buried one.

The only thing was that he looked good coming down the wing, but after that, he clearly is playing with zero confidence. Instead of firing a shot on net, he's slamming on the breaks and looking for the pass every time. He's not driving to the net or at least trying to set up a rebound. There's a time and a place to stop and look for the pass (it almost worked when he set Barrie up in the slot), but not every time.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
This in addition to just not being able to score is going to kill us. We've only managed to score more than 2 goals twice this year and even then we still lost 2 of those games.

Our defense is just bringing us down we spend way too much time in our own zone getting pinned and outmuscled at every possible turn. There's no transition game and thus no offense. At least last year the forwards were supporting our defensemen but this year we're an absolute mess. Looks just like the Sacco years.

This is why its stupid to just gut your scoring depth by dumping Parenteau/Downie for 4th liners and letting Stastny walk. You could maybe justify each move individually but cumulatively it adds up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad