GDT: Game 10 | Detroit Red Wings vs. St. Louis Blues | 8:00 PM EST | FS-D (HD) ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Howard needs the rest badly. But Mrazek should have started at home against Calgary rather than on the road against a Blues team that just got embarrassed by the Predators.

This isn't a 20/20 thing either, this seemed pretty evident after Howard's **** performance against CBJ.

Whatever.

How could Babcock have known? This is 20/20, they had a chance to get 2 points against Calgary and Howie was needed to start in that instance. Can't believe this childish hindsight BS going on this board.

/endofJManimpression

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Plus, while the Blues have a very good team it isn't like they are am offensive Juggernaut. You really can't shield goalies anyways, might as well get him in there.

Are we talking about the same Blues team that stomped us 6-0?? The same team that is 3rd in the league for Goals/game, add in the fact that they are pissed off and this could get ugly.

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
Red Wings logic: Show up against good teams, toy around with below average teams.

Yep. Seems like it's been that way for 4-5 seasons.

We don't have the luxury of being elite anymore, so points against Calgary and Columbus become crucial. Blues are just too deep to beat on hockey talent alone.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Excited to see Mrazek play tonight. I always like to keep tabs on former 67s. Good luck

Don't worry about Mrazek losing confidence. Such a feat is impossible.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Would've been more excited if the team was doing well, but it is what it is. Maybe it's what this team needs to play harder.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Howard needs the rest badly. But Mrazek should have started at home against Calgary rather than on the road against a Blues team that just got embarrassed by the Predators.

This isn't a 20/20 thing either, this seemed pretty evident after Howard's **** performance against CBJ.

Whatever.

Not sure anyone could have predicted the Blues would have been blown up. I'm pretty sure you give a competitor like Howard another shot at redeeming himself against a poor Calgary team rather than making him wait after a bad showing against CBJ. I know I'd feel pretty ticked off if I'd have to wait to give it another go. I'd want to get right back into it and try again ASAP.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Also, good for Mrazek, although St.Louis might be the worst possible team for a goalie to make their NHL debut against...

Babcock might see this as a "what the heck, we'll probably lose so let's see what he's got"

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think it's a message being sent to Howard. He's given up a number of weak goals this year and hasn't stepped up to be the backbone we need him to be. So he gets sat for a big game against a division rival. I seriously doubt Howard is at risk of losing his job, but if Mrazek steps in and dominates...well, it gives Babcock options moving forward and maybe lights a fire under Jimmy.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
How could Babcock have known? This is 20/20, they had a chance to get 2 points against Calgary and Howie was needed to start in that instance. Can't believe this childish hindsight BS going on this board.

/endofJManimpression

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

I think...

Not sure anyone could have predicted the Blues would have been blown up. I'm pretty sure you give a competitor like Howard another shot at redeeming himself against a poor Calgary team rather than making him wait after a bad showing against CBJ. I know I'd feel pretty ticked off if I'd have to wait to give it another go. I'd want to get right back into it and try again ASAP.

Howard started the first 8 games. He played somewhere between terrible and poop soup against CBJ. Mrazek was called up in time to play against Calgary, a weak team, at home. Instead an overworked Howard plays, who has another weak game because, probably he's exhausted.

This has nothing to do with the Blues getting blown out, that just compounds the fact. Either way, they'd be playing the Blues on the road.

Which is better: (1) a hungry Mrazek at home against Calgary and a well-rested Howard on the road against the Blues, (2) or a tired Howard who played bad in his previous game at CBJ against Calgary, followed by a goaltenders first NHL game on the road against the Blues.

Last edited:

Probert

Feb 27, 2008
Boston, MA
Love the GDT Flashy, thanks for putting it together. :handclap:

I'm stoked to see that Mrazek is getting the start tonight; I think it's the right move for a number of reasons.

1. Howard desperately needs the rest, we should all remember what happened the last time he was over-worked and I don't think any of us want to see him go down with an injury. Think of how much worse things would be this season without Howard. :help:

2. This should, in theory, light a fire under the Wings to play their hearts out for the young goalie. The team should always be fired up to go up against St. Louis, but any additional help is welcome.

3. If the Wings win this game it will hopefully translate into a confidence builder for Mrazek, and give the coaching staff another reason to keep playing him this weekend to help with Howie's workload.

4. If the Wings lose this game, Mrazek could take some solace from the fact that this is a very good Blues team, the same team that spanked Howie/Gus and the Wings for a 6-0 thrashing on opening night.

I choose to look at the positive side of things, and I'm expecting a great game from Mrazek and the Wings tonight. I'm calling this one a 3-0 shutout victory for the Wings.

:yo:

RedWingsNow*

I think it's a message being sent to Howard. He's given up a number of weak goals this year and hasn't stepped up to be the backbone we need him to be. So he gets sat for a big game against a division rival. I seriously doubt Howard is at risk of losing his job, but if Mrazek steps in and dominates...well, it gives Babcock options moving forward and maybe lights a fire under Jimmy.

I would agree that Howard has not been very good. But honestly, I don't see a message being sent here.

But like I said in the offseason -- Howard was going to get exposed this year. And he has been.

He's a good NHL goalie. But he's not great. He's not elite. I think his playoff performances have show that. And I think we're seeing it again now.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Just being a goof and sending a friendly ribbing Jman's way. :) I agree with your post, though.

Which is sort of funny because he posted something similar later, and therefore I edited my previous response to actually respond to his. :laugh:

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
We are "4rd" in the division? Is that better than 1st? I hope so. :laugh:

Nice job on the GDT, Flashy! Cleary is really photogenic.

Hey at least there is no "Henrik" Samuelsson this time!

4rd is fixed, Starting goalie also updated.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
How come we are already meeting the Blues 3rd time?

The lockout shortened the season to 48 games. No inter-Conference games, arena availability for the various teams, and trying to shorten the number of times teams need to fly across the country.

I would agree that Howard has not been very good. But honestly, I don't see a message being sent here.

But like I said in the offseason -- Howard was going to get exposed this year. And he has been.

He's a good NHL goalie. But he's not great. He's not elite. I think his playoff performances have show that. And I think we're seeing it again now.

The Wing's model had been to load up on defense, play a defense-first game overall thus not needing an elite goalie.

I don't think Howard is really a "problem" for this team in general. If they can't find any defensemen to spend their big bucks on, well then Kenny can reevaluate and see if an elite goalie would be worth the money. Can't see him putting his eggs in one basket like that though.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere

Howard started the first 8 games. He played somewhere between terrible and poop soup against CBJ. Mrazek was called up in time to play against Calgary, a weak team, at home. Instead an overworked Howard plays, who has another weak game because, probably he's exhausted.

This has nothing to do with the Blues getting blown out, that just compounds the fact. Either way, they'd be playing the Blues on the road.

Which is better: (1) a hungry Mrazek at home against Calgary and a well-rested Howard on the road against the Blues, (2) or a tired Howard who played bad in his previous game at CBJ against Calgary, followed by a goaltenders first NHL game on the road against the Blues.

I'm just speaking on behalf of a fellow competitor. Howards a competitor, a workhorse, and your #1. I know when I'm playing in some sort of competition, I don't want to stop 'till I win. I absolutely despise losing. If I give a cruddy performance, I want to get right back into it and redeem myself. Howard's probably many times worse than I am. The fact he's a workhorse and a #1 means I'd give him that second chance without thinking twice. A competitor thrives off of victory. If I'd have to wait for any period of time before I get that chance, I'd go nuts.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

An .892 sv% is pretty weak. Removing goalies who have played fewer than 4 games this season, he's right at 30th in the league. And he hasn't faced an overabundance of shots, either. in 9 games, he's faced 249 shots, which is in the same ballpark as Varlamov and 10+ shots fewer than Bryzgalov, Lehtonen, and Andersson (while Dubnyk has been peppered in Edmonton - 323 shots in ten games...).

I agree, he's not elite, but he's better than what he's shown. And being sat in a big game, after a day's break...I don't know. You're probably right, but I also wonder how the weekend starts will get divided if Mrazek has a big night tonight.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Really looking forward to watching Mrazek tonight. I hope and think he'll do just fine. Go get'em kiddo!

mrazek02.jpg

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
The lockout shortened the season to 48 games. No inter-Conference games, arena availability for the various teams, and trying to shorten the number of times teams need to fly across the country.

The Wing's model had been to load up on defense, play a defense-first game overall thus not needing an elite goalie.

I don't think Howard is really a "problem" for this team in general. If they can't find any defensemen to spend their big bucks on, well then Kenny can reevaluate and see if an elite goalie would be worth the money. Can't see him putting his eggs in one basket like that though.

All of this is spot on. The only truly "elite" goaltender the Wings have had in recent memory was Hasek. I love Ozzie, and his 08 Playoff performance was Conn Smythe worthy, but much of his performance can be credited to a truly elite d corp. Gone are the days of us outshootingopponents every night 40-20. Howard is a good goalie, but as stated, his playoff perfomances and inability to maintain focus for 60 minutes has shot us in the foot the past 3 seasons. He has made huge saves and had stellar games, but how many deflating goals have we seen trickle in? He is a solid goalie with a good defense in front of him, but we lack that, and his save % and gaa reflects it. I'm stoked for Mrazek, the kid worked his rear off to get here and he deserves it. I only hope that if he plays lights out he is rewarded and not sat/sent back dow ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad