GDT: Game 10 - CBJ vs CAR - 24 Oct, 7pm, @Nat

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I always kept that tear that Korpisalo went on a few years ago in my pocket as cause for optimism. But I didn’t think I’d feel as comfortable as I do with him in net this year.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I was late to the game and watched the replay on my phone once real quickly. I watched it several times on my home computer. That was a gorgeous moving one timer by Texier. Very nice pass by Bemstrom on the play.

Too early to make any definitive evaluation of Bemstrom or Texier, but Texier definitely has NHL wheels and appears to be tenacious. Jarmo is very good at European scouting. He's gotten some decent players at lower draft positions. Maybe he should concentrate on that full time.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
As I posted in a thread about a week ago, this is the CBJ this year. Lots if tight low scoring games where the CBJ will prevail more often than not while the team develops. Torts is doing a good job o keeping the players focused upon the thin line between winning and losing. CBJ are definitely wild card candidates. This is definitely going to be a fun situation to watch. We are definitely "competitive". It will be interesting to see how this all works out, Could Sonny eventually become the new Panarin gift eventually skills like Panarin?
Excellent points. Torts is coaching within the talent he has. Its going to be like this all year. And I agree that they want Panarin like numbers out of Milano. They have guys that can score, but they lack good set up guys severely. I think that is what Milano needs to do, and he was that guy in the playoffs last year. He is one of those guys who has the tools to score 20 and get 40 assists. To get those kind of numbers start with being better with the puck, and creating opportunities, which is what he is lacking right now.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Excellent points. Torts is coaching within the talent he has. Its going to be like this all year. And I agree that they want Panarin like numbers out of Milano. They have guys that can score, but they lack good set up guys severely. I think that is what Milano needs to do, and he was that guy in the playoffs last year. He is one of those guys who has the tools to score 20 and get 40 assists. To get those kind of numbers start with being better with the puck, and creating opportunities, which is what he is lacking right now.

Milano can be that guy but not at such limited minutes. Right or wrong, Torts seems childish with him often. Maybe it's tough love I dont know. A creative guy has to know an occasional hiccup wont land him inactive or playing down for a month. You invested a 1st round #16 pick in this guy knowing he was rough you better darn well see what you got.
You owe your organization that much...

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Milano can be that guy but not at such limited minutes. Right or wrong, Torts seems childish with him often. Maybe it's tough love I dont know. A creative guy has to know an occasional hiccup wont land him inactive or playing down for a month. You invested a 1st round #16 pick in this guy knowing he was rough you better darn well see what you got.
You owe your organization that much...
In all fairness to Torts, he didn't pick Milano. I also don't think asking him to be better with the puck is asking all that much. And , unfortunetly, Columbus really can't afford a lot of mistakes the way the team currently is made up. A lot of us thought the game was over at 3-1. Actually, now that I think about it, remember when Torts first got here, him and Foligno were butting heads and Torts was benching him because he expected certain things out of him and felt he wasn't getting it. Foligno figured out what was expected, and worked his way back in the lineup and has been in ever since. This is what Sonny has been going through. At some point he needs to get it, or Columbus is going to move on without him. He still isn't there yet where he will get minutes.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Happy for the win but since NHL changed tiebreakers, these OT wins aren’t helping. Need regulation wins

What did I miss?

Edit: Never mind I posted this when I first read DJ's comment's = lots of explanation later.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Glad to see the Jackets winning BUT I think pulling the extra point out of OT games is not a key to long term success. Need to get better and win more in regulation,. OT can turn to a loss in one quick play.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Look, I don’t want to crap on a win, but this game is a perfect example as to why Torts struggles to develop young skilled wingers . There was absolutely no reason for Milano to get 9 minutes, Texier 7, and Bemstrom 8. They scored 2 of our 3 goals , and yet Torts decides to roll 3 lines going into the 3rd period , and has the nerve to say in the press conference that we almost gave the game away at the end , yet it had nothing to do with Fatigue :laugh:. Adrenaline gets them thru he says . Your playing one of the faster teams , and you take most of the skill and speed out of your lineup . He comes out in the press this week and says the issue with the powerplay is they play tentative . I wonder why John , not to mention maybe putting some of that skill on the powerplay would help tremendously . Our ceiling is what it is if the young skilled players don’t play, and develop. They are not usually going to pot 2 goals playing 7 , or 8 minutes . You see the look Torts gives Larsen when Milano scores . Sure seems like Larsen is the one pushing for Milano and the young guys to play, and that’s what these looks between the 2 are . Almost like Larsen is saying see I told you , and Torts can’t understand how they are producing

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Speaking of Panarin.....I might be crazy for saying this, but Bemstrom looks an awful lot like bread the way he skates with and moves the puck to teammates. He needs more touches and ice time at 5v5 (as does Tex).

No, have actually thought this. Definitely the same type of movements and skillset.

However, Bemstrom needs to "significantly" improve his skating, mainly his overall agility and edgework.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Speaking of Panarin.....I might be crazy for saying this, but Bemstrom looks an awful lot like bread the way he skates with and moves the puck to teammates. He needs more touches and ice time at 5v5 (as does Tex).

Do I detect a UserName change in the not too distant future?????

;)

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Look, I don’t want to crap on a win, but this game is a perfect example as to why Torts struggles to develop young skilled wingers . There was absolutely no reason for Milano to get 9 minutes, Texier 7, and Bemstrom 8. They scored 2 of our 3 goals , and yet Torts decides to roll 3 lines going into the 3rd period , and has the nerve to say in the press conference that we almost gave the game away at the end , yet it had nothing to do with Fatigue :laugh:. Adrenaline gets them thru he says . Your playing one of the faster teams , and you take most of the skill and speed out of your lineup . He comes out in the press this week and says the issue with the powerplay is they play tentative . I wonder why John , not to mention maybe putting some of that skill on the powerplay would help tremendously . Our ceiling is what it is if the young skilled players don’t play, and develop. They are not usually going to pot 2 goals playing 7 , or 8 minutes . You see the look Torts gives Larsen when Milano scores . Sure seems like Larsen is the one pushing for Milano and the young guys to play, and that’s what these looks between the 2 are . Almost like Larsen is saying see I told you , and Torts can’t understand how they are producing

Not to delve into your entire post but as far as the last few sentences, I’ve thought basically the exact same thing between Larsen-Torts on both Milano goals when they’ve shown the bench reaction.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Actually Larsen is saying that was a nice goal and Torts is saying its too bad we can't trust him late in games and play him more.

Reactions: pete goegan

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I am in agreement that the young guys Bem, Tex and Sonny need more minutes. They probably have more stamina and hop than the guys that Torts is riding the shit out of... we may have some mayhem from game to game.. but that 2 against in under 2 minutes can't be blamed on youth.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Glad your back Viqsi & thanks for bringing Frenchy.. who is that person & what were they doing? Can we have them back... Frenchy said we a couple times when referring to the Jackets!!

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Glad your back Viqsi & thanks for bringing Frenchy.. who is that person & what were they doing? Can we have them back... Frenchy said we a couple times when referring to the Jackets!!
DSL and I were both out for the evening and so asked around for some backup attention in case of thread invasions or other nonsense showing up (thankfully it didn't), and Frenchy volunteered and got us a bit more than we'd bargained for. But I'm not complaining. ;)

Reactions: Dumais and cslebn

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
DSL and I were both out for the evening and so asked around for some backup attention in case of thread invasions or other nonsense showing up (thankfully it didn't), and Frenchy volunteered and got us a bit more than we'd bargained for. But I'm not complaining. ;)

Are you implying that you have ... real responsibilities? :sarcasm:

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad