GDT: Game 1: Wings @ preds 8:00 pm et (FSD)

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Maybe it's just me, but when there's 81 more games to follow this one, I'm thinking a guy who's questionable enough to be a game time decision just shouldn't f***ing play.

Would be awesome if we lost him for a good portion of the season because we played him in the first game of the season when we shouldn't have.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
it became obvious a couple years ago mantha was an extremely rare powerforward with size-coordination-ruggedness-shot . E.X.T.R.E.M.E.L.Y. R.A.R.E. ! right then and there i wanted holland to offer him 8 years but no kenny had to play hard ball to keep all his bottom half roster talents signed . and the whining about mantha not skating 200' north 200' south at full speed over and over like a 180lb player . now at minimum its going to cost way more cap hit and he maybe walks . alls left to say is im ecstatic the very dense hollands outta here .

I will say this: Getting rid of Holland probably keeps Mantha and AA on the team. If Holland were still GM I think they are both gone as soon as they hit UFA. I find it hard to believe Mantha has no grudge after Devellano trashed him publically for two straight years.

Last edited:
Reactions: decaguard

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I will say this: Getting rid of Holland probably keeps Mantha and AA on the team. If Holland were still GM I think they are both gone as soon as they hit UFA. I find it hard to believe Mantha has no grudge after Devellano trashed him publically for two straight years.

Devellano is still a senior advisor to the team and very close to Yzerman. Why would Holland being gone help that issue???

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Let the pain begin.

Also it is going to take awhile for me to get used to seeing Fil in a Wings jersey again.

Excited to have the Wings back. Disagree, I think the first time Fil enters the zone with a threatening rush, tappers off to the left hand corner and button hooks I will be muttering under my breath...:laugh: I always like Fil, but he is a guy I always felt like and his hot streaks suggested could have been a big point producer if he took his game to the middle more often.

lgrwmike

Dec 28, 2007
Deerfield Beach, FL
EGJBhZeVAAINi0k

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
So their going with AA at centre. Interesting.

I would think Glendening will take the right face-off and center ice draws if that is the lineup at least. Would also probably be deployed at center responsibility when starting a defensive zone start.

I mean the other guys were a lot more talented, but Kane and Kariya for years have played center a lot in the offensive zone. I could see the logic of leveraging AA that way if he saw the ice better, but maybe they are thinking of attempting that some this year in terms of putting Glendening around to protect him and free him to be more offensively focused. I don't believe AA is a center so I will be interested to see the experiment again, I just don't think it will work out long-term. I could see a scenario where you figure out ways to free him more in the O-zone though, big time offense guys have been weaponized that way in the league before.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think Yzerman's hiring signalled that the old regime was over. If Yzerman was GM I doubt you would had Devellano running around spouting off about the team's prospects.

Devellano is drunk uncle, I think you're reaching massively here. Jimmy D cannot help himself, he will do it again until they tell him to stay in Tampa full-time. Devellano is an executive senior vice president, he has a platform when he wants one. What do you think his cattle comment was because of Holland and Ilitch too? The guy has a history throughout his entire 4+ decade career of saying things out of turn.

Also, if you have the Athletic go read the recent article on Holland in Edmonton. Much of what people have said in defense of Holland was echoed by Devellano, Bowman and Nill all over that article in terms of the limitations he had towards his end in terms of ownership mandate. I think that is the bigger thing, Stevie has a different mandate from the Ilitch family. I am excited for his start, but people are really reaching to categorize sweeping differences. They are very similar men. Glad to see Yzerman update some of the off-ice stuff, but a lot of the same philosophies are being deployed and really that isn't surprising, he was trained by that crew and continued to keep them as confidants even while in Tampa, it wasn't a secret that they talked a lot.

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
What's this different mandate that Yzerman has?
People keep repeating this stuff. Over and over again. And it never gets any truer.

The interesting thing to me about tonight's line-up. If AA plays, it looks like Helm is the odd man out.
Erne. Ehn. DLR and Hirose over Helm.

Not sure I like that because I'd like to swap Helm sometime and him getting sat on a bad Red Wings team... well, that only hurts a trade value that already sucks.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
How Daley earned a spot over Bowey beats me.

You've got a rookie, for the most part, on the first pairing.
A rookie, for the most part, on the second pairing.

Bowey, another inexperienced D, is out. Not a surprise at all, really.

No team is going to play 3 unestablished defensemen if they can avoid it.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
I would think Glendening will take the right face-off and center ice draws if that is the lineup at least. Would also probably be deployed at center responsibility when starting a defensive zone start.

I mean the other guys were a lot more talented, but Kane and Kariya for years have played center a lot in the offensive zone. I could see the logic of leveraging AA that way if he saw the ice better, but maybe they are thinking of attempting that some this year in terms of putting Glendening around to protect him and free him to be more offensively focused. I don't believe AA is a center so I will be interested to see the experiment again, I just don't think it will work out long-term. I could see a scenario where you figure out ways to free him more in the O-zone though, big time offense guys have been weaponized that way in the league before.

Didn't occur to me that he might switch with LGD when their in the D-Zone, but that's a good point; you might be right.

Like you said, I thought that this was an experiment that was tried already at the end of last season and they didn't like what they saw. I also thought the reason that they signed Filp is because they concluded AA wasn't a centre. But now he's centring the second line to start the season again? Wonder how long it lasts.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Maybe it's just me, but when there's 81 more games to follow this one, I'm thinking a guy who's questionable enough to be a game time decision just shouldn't ****ing play.

Would be awesome if we lost him for a good portion of the season because we played him in the first game of the season when we shouldn't have.
If he’s medically cleared to play and feels good enough to play why wouldn’t he play...

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
You've got a rookie, for the most part, on the first pairing.
A rookie, for the most part, on the second pairing.

Bowey, another inexperienced D, is out. Not a surprise at all, really.

No team is going to play 3 unestablished defensemen if they can avoid it.

Daley is less established of a commodity than Bowey at this point.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I think Glendening is the most “shoot first” player on our second line now. This should go well

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
That animation was one of the best and worst things I have ever seen.

Also murica, military propaganda.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad