GDT: Game 1 Toronto at the Blue Jackets 10/4/19

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Seeing the third goal from nearly ice level, there were two places to shoot that were wide open net. Bad angle. Even if I blame Korpi for not stopping the 2nd and 3rd goals, we still lose 2-1.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Seeing the third goal from nearly ice level, there were two places to shoot that were wide open net. Bad angle. Even if I blame Korpi for not stopping the 2nd and 3rd goals, we still lose 2-1.
Agree, but it is a different game at 2-1. You can pull the goalie late in the game, but when you are down 3-1, you really have little chance. No guarantee that we score, but it is a different game.

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
PLD was dominated in the face off circle last night. I was surprised to see Wennberg holding his own pretty well.

LoveCBJ

Jan 17, 2009
South Carolina
You miss my point
Korpi has to stop the puck
He has to be better
This isn’t college football but don’t you agree that points lost early in the season matter in the end?
I would argue that Werenski, Savard and Harrington need to be a lot better than they were last night. Korp was fine. Can we find a way that it is not Jenner or Anderson always getting the breakaways!!

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Lots of good points here. When you lose 4-1, it's safe to say nearly EVERYONE needed to play better in some respect.

You could probably list all the starters and at least one way they underperformed next to each one of them. The irony is, you could do the same for all the positive things they did as well.

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
Why didn't Columbus trade for Gusev, I wonder. He didn't cost a lot, made less than half of what Panarin did, and he's exactly the player PLD and Atkinson need.

Because when Käkäläinen went all in, he give up a lots of picks the only chance to go for Gusev was a first and he was to scared to go so high.

Reactions: Toe Pick and CPTN71

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Interesting and I think telling comment from Hedger in the Dispatch:
“The Maple Leafs got more high level plays from superstars like Marney and Tavares whose combined salaries of$21.8 million are only $15 million less than the entire amount the Blue Jackets pay for their 13 forwards”

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Why didn't Columbus trade for Gusev, I wonder. He didn't cost a lot, made less than half of what Panarin did, and he's exactly the player PLD and Atkinson need.

We tried. Vegas traded him to Jersey. But we tried.

He is completely screened. Try watching it in slow motion. He can't see the release, and he can't see the puck until the puck is going past him.

Korpi said he should have stopped it. I’m inclined to agree.

You know who else's name I didn't hear? Brandon Dubinsky's name was not even mentioned during the pregame announcement of every player on the team.

I also noticed this.

PLD was dominated in the face off circle last night. I was surprised to see Wennberg holding his own pretty well.

PLD’s lack of faceoff ability is a concern. He’s not getting any better either.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
From Porty in the Athletic: “Korpi has now played 82. NHL Games. He’s now made 82 career starts in the NHL, exactly one season’s worth. He’s allowed three or more goals in 45 of those games and four or more goals in 31 of them.”

It isn’t about last night, it is about the whole body of work. If as a fan you are satisfied with that, or want to excuse that, go right ahead. We need better play from Korpi. And if he can’t do it, find someone who can.
I think he should be given 10 or so starts to prove himself capable as a #1. This is his 5th season in the NHL. He's only had an acceptable save percentage one year (.920) and that was in his first season (2015-16).

Joonas Korpisalo Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

As you pointed out, he's now had a full season worth of NHL starts under his belt. It's now or never time for him. If he's not up to the task, the CBJ management has to make a quick decision on him or the season will be lost by Thanksgiving.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
And why didn't NJD pay a first for him?

It was made clear in the Athletic that Vegas only wanted picks and there were only two teams who made offers -- Jersey and Columbus. Columbus didn't have the draft capital to beat Jersey's offer unless they were going with a first which they (and clearly the entire league) weren't willing to do.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
And why didn't NJD pay a first for him?

Like every other GM, he didn't think that highly of Gusev. We don't know if he would have paid 2 2nds (if the Jackets had them), but I think it's unlikely too. He could have come up with a better offer than what New Jersey made and he chose not to.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Like every other GM, he didn't think that highly of Gusev. We don't know if he would have paid 2 2nds (if the Jackets had them), but I think it's unlikely too. He could have come up with a better offer than what New Jersey made and he chose not to.

Yeah, it's what I think as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2