GDT: Game 1 Toronto at the Blue Jackets 10/4/19

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Also there is no other team in NHL that gives a starting job to a guy who put a below 900 sv% as a career backup with "He will be better playing more" mantra. This i just bad management. You put a decent numbers as a backup you got a starting job. Vasilevsky, Grubauer, Dubnyk pathes - this is how it usually done.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
And yet you're reacting as though this is college football, where one loss dooms the entire season.
You miss my point
Korpi has to stop the puck
He has to be better
This isn’t college football but don’t you agree that points lost early in the season matter in the end?

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
:help:
Korpi’s save percentage last season was under 90%. Tonight, it was 86%. Find all the excuses you want to justify playing him, but he has to show me more. I don’t care if the opposing team shoots lasers, stop the puck. You are getting paid to stop the puck. We had a goalie last year who did it. Yes, he wanted to leave and is now in Florida, but he was able to stone the best of shooters. Korpi? I haven’t seen it in over a year. its a new season, I am will willing to get him a chance but the leash is very short. If he continues to post a save percentage below 90%, he is a below average goalie. Heck, what are elite goalies’ save percentages? 93%? 94? He was gifted the position this year. It’s time to step up. NO EXCUSES. STOP THE PUCK.

Thank you
Korpis save % is the exact same as Bobs after 1 game . They are also both 0-1. We scored 1 freakin goal And somehow Korpi is to blame :help:. Hate to break it to you but 2 of those goals , no one in the league is stopping . Bottom line , they have 5 offensive players before you choose 1 of ours on the playground . Give them a small space , it’s in the back of our net , where as we had chances all day , and didn’t bury the shot .

Reactions: thebus88

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Next 5 games are against Pens, Sabres, Ducks, Canes and Dallas. Should win 3 of those probably, Canes and Pens - i don't think so

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
The bottom line is more than one game out of eighty-two. I'm looking for how the team develops over the long run. And there were some good things. If you're so fragile you can't see past one night that's on you.
Personally I was suprised how good our offensive game looked tonight . Lots of chances , lots of speed . Defense was pretty iffy, but we had a week lay-off , and start with the best offensive team in the league . The biggest issue I think we face this year is Torts coaching, and player utilization . Lilja got a little over 7 minutes tonight , Bem was close to 10. Texier looked dangerous on quite a few shifts and is yanked off top line . Pld is not on pp, then is rest of game . Tomorrow will be more telling . Harrington should be out , Garikov or Kukan in .

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Sometimes there's no lineups posted here. I just look up the beat writer's tweets for lineups.

How do you use Nyquist properly?
16-17:30 TOI, 2nd line. He has good hockey IQ/vision/good playmaker/PP weapon/even strength/decent speed & mobility, agility/decent possession #'s/decent defensively, but no PK/crafty. He needs to shoot more to get back to 20G, but expect 30 assists, 50-55pt player. A smart 2-way Centerman & physical scoring/speedy winger w/size would be his ideal linemates. He played really well with Larkin as his C, a career year. He won't win the majority of his board battles but has good positioning & stickwork, good in transition. Don't expect him to cycle much down low, he's just not built for it.

one of his best shifts ever:

Last edited:
Reactions: majormajor

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Why didn't Columbus trade for Gusev, I wonder. He didn't cost a lot, made less than half of what Panarin did, and he's exactly the player PLD and Atkinson need.

Lumbus

Nov 25, 2016
Wonder if we’ll see both Gavrikov and Kukan debut tomorrow while Harrington and Murray (rest, maintenance day) are scratched

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I thought we played okay. We had some chances, including 3 breakaways/partial breakaways that we didn't convert on. They're the far superior team with way more top end talent, and the better goaltender. I think if we play like that long term, we should finish right about where I think they would, around 88 points.

Korpi wasn't to blame for the loss. You scored one goal. Now, I think the first goal he gets completely lost due to the screen. I don't really want to put it on him, since Matthews is the prime threat on the other side, but man he gave up the whole net there. Needs to be more crisp, but I won't blame him completely.

Second goal is completely on Korpi. He needs to stop that puck.

Third goal isn't a great one either, but the guy literally walks around Werenski. Marner is a great player, so that has to be accounted for too. Blame mostly lies on Werenski.

Fourth goal is just Matthews doing Matthews things. Nobody is stopping that shot.

Again, not on Korpi. You scored one goal, and outside of a few breakaways you didn't' really generate much. He needs to be better though.

If Torts is only going to use Bemstrom and Lilja for 4th line duty with occasional PP time, then they should just go back to Sweden/minors because it does them no good at all. Texier was also a lost puppy at times after the first.

The only line that impressed me was Jenner's. Everyone else was just there. Not one defenseman caught my eye in a positive light, namely Werenski and Nutivaara.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
:help:
Korpis save % is the exact same as Bobs after 1 game . They are also both 0-1. We scored 1 freakin goal And somehow Korpi is to blame :help:. Hate to break it to you but 2 of those goals , no one in the league is stopping . Bottom line , they have 5 offensive players before you choose 1 of ours on the playground . Give them a small space , it’s in the back of our net , where as we had chances all day , and didn’t bury the shot .

I dont get that either. We had lots of opportunites to score but no. Offence was garbage, Korpi didnt have a chance for goals 1,2 and 4. Offence is our biggest problem, luckily this was just one game. Next game in pitt so if we win there everything is okay so long when we lose again..

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
A smart 2-way Centerman & physical scoring/speedy winger w/size would be his ideal linemates. He played really well with Larkin as his C, a career year. He won't win the majority of his board battles but has good positioning & stickwork, good in transition. Don't expect him to cycle much down low, he's just not built for it.

The Jackets have plenty of big hard charging players that Nyquist can play with to complement his game. Unfortunately, Wennberg and Bjorkstrand are not that. Wennberg is sort of like Larkin though, except for the actual scoring ability. :D

I've been saying that Nyquist - Dubois - Anderson would be fun to try.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Personally I was suprised how good our offensive game looked tonight . Lots of chances , lots of speed . Defense was pretty iffy, but we had a week lay-off , and start with the best offensive team in the league . The biggest issue I think we face this year is Torts coaching, and player utilization . Lilja got a little over 7 minutes tonight , Bem was close to 10. Texier looked dangerous on quite a few shifts and is yanked off top line . Pld is not on pp, then is rest of game . Tomorrow will be more telling . Harrington should be out , Garikov or Kukan in .

Should Nuti be safe from being scratched for a night? I wouldn't mind seeing both Gavrikov and Kukan in.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Small (useless) rant incoming. I warn you that what I post literally means nothing, just a small annoyance.

This is such a good video. This is what I'm talking about. The message was sent, they didn't even need to say anything about "loyalty" or commitment to the team because this does it without setting ablaze the past. We can piss and moan about them leaving all we want, but they're not coming back. It's about whats ahead. Out of Our Blue, We Rise may be a bit corny, but it's way better than "loyalty." This should have been the only video shown.

After that video, they played this.

Yes, I know what they're doing. Its a rallying cry around the current players and how they're committed and all in on the team and this city. That's great, and I think the loyalty card is fine to play throughout the start of the year in the locker room. But doing this video, I just didn't like it. It's supposed to be about THIS team, and while it is about this team, the loyalty thing is also a shot at the past. It's a "Yeah, screw THOSE guys, these guys are for ME" rather than it just being about the current team. IDK. I just wish the first video was the only one shown because it was perfect. And given how the player intros were all shot in front of this Loyalty thing, Its going to be the message all year, and that's kinda sad IMO.

TLDR: I wish the first video was shown only, the second video screams of jealous ex, and I hope this loyalty thing was just for game 1 because if every players intro when being introduced in the starting lineup or after scoring a goal has the stupid LOYALTY thing in the background I'm going to cringe every time.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Wut. The one where Korpi is completely screened?

Also, there were several good plays from Texier throughout. Not a lost puppy.

He's not completely screened. He's screened, yes, but he knows the shot is coming and he's off his angle. He can make that save.

Agree to disagree, because Texier was nowhere to be found for me after the first period.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He's not completely screened. He's screened, yes, but he knows the shot is coming and he's off his angle. He can make that save.

He is completely screened. Try watching it in slow motion. He can't see the release, and he can't see the puck until the puck is going past him.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
My thoughts:

Korpi was not 4 ga bad. Screened twice and the third was a fluke that could just as easily slid outside the post

Our only goal was a gift from Andersen; he stays in the net I think he stops it

Torts line blender is a problem.

Lack of a top line LW will kill us all season.

Jenner & Foligno have trouble finishing

Tonight's another night.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
From Porty in the Athletic: “Korpi has now played 82. NHL Games. He’s now made 82 career starts in the NHL, exactly one season’s worth. He’s allowed three or more goals in 45 of those games and four or more goals in 31 of them.”

It isn’t about last night, it is about the whole body of work. If as a fan you are satisfied with that, or want to excuse that, go right ahead. We need better play from Korpi. And if he can’t do it, find someone who can.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
We were finishing checks early in the game. Did not seem to be as physical as the game went on.

Toronto has guys who can score when they get a good (not great) opportunity. We don’t. That was the difference in the game. We outworked them.

I thought Marner was the best player on the ice. Matthews was mostly invisible except the pp goal. Of course, that is from watching tv. Watching in the arena might have given me a different perception.

For a 4-1 loss it was a surprisingly entertaining game. Or maybe it just seems that way because it was the first game of the season.

Reactions: majormajor

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I have to agree with Fred Glover. I soured on Korpi a long time ago. I don't buy the CBJ propaganda that his numbers as a back-up have been so bad because of limited starts. There are plenty of back-up goalies in the NHL who have great numbers with limited starts. Heck, we manage to lose to a lot of them. We can argue all day whether he is giving up good goals or bad goals. The fact is he is giving up to many goals. And, he is consistently giving up to many goals. I didn't buy the hype on him concerning his pre-season play. I believe all of his starts were on home ice, and with more NHL players in front of him, where-as Elvis' starts were on the road with heavier AHL line-ups. So, in my mind they set Korpi up for a better chance to succeed in the pre-season. Having said that, he is here, and I hope the guy settles down and proves he is NHL worthy. I hope Elvis does as well. But at this point, in my mind, Korpi has a lot to prove. And yes, so do our offensive players. They have to many scoring chances go high, wide, or into the goalies chest. They need to figure out how to finish, and figure it out fast.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Biggest thing to me was CBJ looked like a team that hadn't played in a week .... and the Leafs looked like a team that had just played the other night. It happens.

Interested to see how things go tonight in Pittsburgh. Who starts in goal?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->