GDT: Game 1 Toronto at the Blue Jackets 10/4/19

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
this will be my only post in this thread (I honestly just don't post much anymore) but...

the last time we lost our home opener, we ended up making the playoffs (we also started that season 2-3-1 in the first 6 games)... just sayinnnn

okay, carry on.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Has nothing to do with just that goal.

But come on, he's been miserable this game. The Jackets cannot play any type of offense if he needs THAT much help.
Why?

1st goal was a perfectly placed short side one timer on the PP.

2nd Ceci was able to walk in and another perfectly placed shot.

3rd one you might have liked to see stopped but Marner got him moving laterally then put it in his feet. That’s a tough stop for the goalie.

4th he has no chance unless it hits him.

This was closer than a 4-1 game. Anderson was near perfect and the Leafs have a few more guns. They were the difference.

Don’t pull the fire alarm after one game.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Torts out coached himself tonight. He preached it all preseason but he has no patience. This is a young team that needs to be allowed to play through mistakes or lulls in the game but they can't do that because Torts tries to create automatic goal scoring by bringing his blender out. Once he shuffled the lines they looked lost.

I am one that thinks the CBJ will struggle and miss the playoffs but I see some things I liked. The speed was good and they controlled a lot of play 5vs5 against a very good team. They need to clean up the special teams and hope Elvis can play. All the new guys looked ok. Lilja looked really good.

It's gonna be a long season. Buckle up.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
this will be my only post in this thread (I honestly just don't post much anymore) but...

the last time we lost our home opener, we ended up making the playoffs (we also started that season 2-3-1 in the first 6 games)... just sayinnnn

okay, carry on.
Ok.... I needed that... Thanks.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
  • The passing plays were really impressive tonight. I usually say that's the weakness and the shooting is strong, but it was the other way around tonight.
  • The Jackets actually had the better of the "expected goals stat" tonight, just reflecting that they got a lot of scoring looks in dangerous areas. The Leafs, to no one's surprise, don't need as many opportunities.
  • I don't think any of those goals on Korpi were bad goals. Not a good night overall, but Matthews regularly beats goalies from that spot. And Korpi was screened off the puck on the other ones. That's more of a team issue than a goalie issue.
  • The effort level was really impressive. Do the haters on this board play hockey? Because I'm watching this game and I'm blown away by some of the diving (e.g. Dubois) and other effort plays they're making, and I come here and all I see is people moaning.
  • Foligno - Jenner - Anderson were all amazing. With the number of golden looks they had it's pretty frustrating that they couldn't beat Frederik Andersen (or the posts). Easily the best 3 Jackets tonight. Passing and playmaking even, I didn't expect it.
  • Bad night for the D-men. Maybe the opening night nerves (or the bad ice) got to them but Nuti and Murray especially were playing with hand grenades out there. Harry looked bad except for one great pass. Werenski obviously got burnt / turnstiled / Marnered.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
How did Nyquist look in his debut? What was the line-up (I didn't see one in the 1st 11 pages of the thread).

Not bad at all. He had speed but it was a crazy high-energy physical game and he doesn't tend to stand out in that kind of battle. So much so that I think Torts might have forgot about him tonight. Nyquist didn't play much, only 10 at evens. :popcorn:

His linemates were Wennberg and Bjorkstrand.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I only got to watch about 2 minutes of the game (ironically when we scored) and thought we looked pretty fast.

But, why the hell was Lilja playing on the top line? Was Tex that bad early on?

The line blending is easily Torts’ #1 coaching flaw. He’s brutal at allowing cohesion to develop naturally. I mean it’s the first damn game.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Not bad at all. He had speed but it was a crazy high-energy physical game and he doesn't tend to stand out in that kind of battle. So much so that I think Torts might have forgot about him tonight. Nyquist didn't play much, only 10 at evens. :popcorn:

His linemates were Wennberg and Bjorkstrand.
Thanks majormajor, I've never visited the CBJ board before, but I wanted to check on our old pal Nyquist. You guys/gals will like him if he's used properly. Does the GDT usually have the lineup in it or ?

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Korpi’s save percentage last season was under 90%. Tonight, it was 86%. Find all the excuses you want to justify playing him, but he has to show me more. I don’t care if the opposing team shoots lasers, stop the puck. You are getting paid to stop the puck. We had a goalie last year who did it. Yes, he wanted to leave and is now in Florida, but he was able to stone the best of shooters. Korpi? I haven’t seen it in over a year. its a new season, I am will willing to get him a chance but the leash is very short. If he continues to post a save percentage below 90%, he is a below average goalie. Heck, what are elite goalies’ save percentages? 93%? 94? He was gifted the position this year. It’s time to step up. NO EXCUSES. STOP THE PUCK.

Thank you

Reactions: Toe Pick

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Thanks majormajor, I've never visited the CBJ board before, but I wanted to check on our old pal Nyquist. You guys/gals will like him if he's used properly. Does the GDT usually have the lineup in it or ?

Sometimes there's no lineups posted here. I just look up the beat writer's tweets for lineups.

How do you use Nyquist properly?

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
  • The passing plays were really impressive tonight. I usually say that's the weakness and the shooting is strong, but it was the other way around tonight.
  • The Jackets actually had the better of the "expected goals stat" tonight, just reflecting that they got a lot of scoring looks in dangerous areas. The Leafs, to no one's surprise, don't need as many opportunities.
  • I don't think any of those goals on Korpi were bad goals. Not a good night overall, but Matthews regularly beats goalies from that spot. And Korpi was screened off the puck on the other ones. That's more of a team issue than a goalie issue.
  • The effort level was really impressive. Do the haters on this board play hockey? Because I'm watching this game and I'm blown away by some of the diving (e.g. Dubois) and other effort plays they're making, and I come here and all I see is people moaning.
  • Foligno - Jenner - Anderson were all amazing. With the number of golden looks they had it's pretty frustrating that they couldn't beat Frederik Andersen (or the posts). Easily the best 3 Jackets tonight. Passing and playmaking even, I didn't expect it.
  • Bad night for the D-men. Maybe the opening night nerves (or the bad ice) got to them but Nuti and Murray especially were playing with hand grenades out there. Harry looked bad except for one great pass. Werenski obviously got burnt / turnstiled / Marnered.
Great passing, couldn’t score. Can’t stop the puck. Great effort. Maybe we can give them a participation medal? All in all, the bottom line is zero points

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
The one who was gifted a spot is Bemstrom, but i guess Kekalainen couldn't send him back since he hyped him so much. There is still 7 games of trial(or how much they will let him?) left, but i don't see a NHL ready player, yet.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Korpi’s save percentage last season was under 90%. Tonight, it was 86%. Find all the excuses you want to justify playing him

If you say so. Here's one. The Leafs team shooting percentage is typically above 10%. I'll let you figure it out.

I don’t care if the opposing team shoots lasers, stop the puck. You are getting paid to stop the puck. We had a goalie last year who did it.

Korpi? Bob sure wasn't stopping lasers. Tampa torched him how many times? The Leafs also scored about 4 per game against the Jackets last year.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Great passing, couldn’t score. Can’t stop the puck. Great effort. Maybe we can give them a participation medal? All in all, the bottom line is zero points

The bottom line is more than one game out of eighty-two. I'm looking for how the team develops over the long run. And there were some good things. If you're so fragile you can't see past one night that's on you.

Reactions: thebus88

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
The bottom line is more than one game out of eighty-two. I'm looking for how the team develops over the long run. And there were some good things. If you're so fragile you can't see past one night that's on you.
Sorry, not into moral victories. Pro sports is about results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad