GDT: Game 1: St. Louis @ Winnipeg, 7pm CST - Darkest Dungeon (under construction, will finish after nap!)

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
They outplayed us, out Corsi'd us, outchanced us. Binnington did not steal that game.

It's like we pull out this pre-packaged BS excuse about getting goalied when we lose games where we were outplayed.

I dont really care what the stats say
To be honest. They were better in the 3rd. Before that it was fairly even IMO. Our 3/4 lines carried us though. But give me a break if you think there goalie did not steal that. Thats a joke. He made 4-5 absolutly grade A sure goal saves. Helle made a couple too. But we were not great i agree but we produced enough good chances to give ourselves a chance. I would not trade our chances for theirs. That should tell you enough

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
15000 people dressed in white booing the only black player??
tumblr_n3etwsiGby1smcbm7o1_250.gif

Reactions: jokesondee

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
This is my take:

Perreault should get benched after this game. He was weak all game in a game that was amped up physically. That 2nd line struggled all night in their own end. For Hayes and Perreault to get outmuscled by Maroon on a 2 on 1 down low is inexcusable.

Morrissey-Trouba was our weakest pairing. Morrissey was out of sync, which is kind of to be expected given how long he has been out. The fact he was not used on the PK says that his injury is still looming large.

Myers was our most consistent defenseman, he was smart with the puck, created chances.

Laine was tuned in, I thought Little did a good job of feeding him the puck and giving him the space to shoot. That would be the only line I keep together.

Maurice did well keeping Scheif and Wheeler off the PK, we did really well against the St. Louis PP. You are still going to have a hard time convincing me that Trouba should be on the 1st PP, with how dangerous Buff was, but I guess we know what we're doing.

I can see why St. Louis is winning with Binnington, he was the first star.

The adjustment I'd like to see to match the physicality with speed,

Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler
Connor-Hayes-Roslovic
Copp-Little-Laine
Lindholm-Lowry-Hendricks (with room to double shift Scheif or Wheeler). Unless Tanev is good enough to go, then I just switch him in for Perreault.

This series is going to be a battle, I think the Jets got served a lesson. Hopefully makes them angry.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
They controlled the first two periods 5v5. Turned the puck over too much in the 3rd and lost their gap. Really got on their heels when the Blues tied it up. Their puck support was pretty bad the last half of that 3rd, the Blues did a much better job in support during the last 10.

Overall, it's not close without Binnington in the first two, 3rd period plays out much differently if the Jets capitalize earlier.

Reactions: snowkiddin

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Maurice is always the answer around here.
There really isn’t any excuse for repeatedly throwing the Scheifele line out against O’Reilly. It’s arguably our weakest defensive line so they aren’t going to shut the opponent’s best line down so you’re throwing your “best” offensive line willingly out against a line that dominates possession. Is that good coaching?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
There really isn’t any excuse for repeatedly throwing the Scheifele line out against O’Reilly. It’s arguably our weakest defensive line so they aren’t going to shut the opponent’s best line down so you’re throwing your “best” offensive line willingly out against a line that dominates possession. Is that good coaching?

Are they our best offensive line though?

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Are they our best offensive line though?
Not right now but they certainly should be. I do think Maurice’s biggest failing will end up being that he believes Scheifele and Wheeler are matchup proof. That has been true in previous years but right now, it’s genuinely killing us.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Not right now but they certainly should be. I do think Maurice’s biggest failing will end up being that he believes Scheifele and Wheeler are matchup proof. That has been true in previous years but right now, it’s genuinely killing us.

normally I would agree but who else goes up against one of the best defensive lines in the league? Little and Laine? Hayes and Ehlers? Lowry, Rosie and Lindholm?

If we had Tanev its another story. Then you send CLT out. but we don't.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
normally I would agree but who else goes up against one of the best defensive lines in the league? Little and Laine? Hayes and Ehlers? Lowry, Rosie and Lindholm?

If we had Tanev its another story. Then you send CLT out. but we don't.
I think it’s a mistake to not put Copp and Lowry together in the first place for that very reason. Put them with Lindholm until Tanev comes back and hope they can just grind the O’Reilly line to a stalemate. By putting the Scheifele line out there against them says one of two things: first, that Maurice believes they will produce regardless the matchup which at this point is clearly false or two, that he wants to free the other two “scoring” lines from matching up against O’Reilly. If that’s the case, he’s vastly overrating the Scheifele line’s ability to keep pucks out of our net.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think it’s a mistake to not put Copp and Lowry together in the first place for that very reason. Put them with Lindholm until Tanev comes back and hope they can just grind the O’Reilly line to a stalemate. By putting the Scheifele line out there against them says one of two things: first, that Maurice believes they will produce regardless the matchup which at this point is clearly false or two, that he wants to free the other two “scoring” lines from matching up against O’Reilly. If that’s the case, he’s vastly overrating the Scheifele line’s ability to keep pucks out of our net.

Make no mistake we play the ROR line against Scheif in the Blues home games. Maybe Mo is trying to prepare them for it.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Make no mistake we play the ROR line against Scheif in the Blues home games. Maybe Mo is trying to prepare them for it.
I don’t doubt it happens in the road games though while I could be wrong, I believe a big portion of being a good coach involves putting your players in the best situation to succeed. This is something that at least on the surface Maurice struggles mightily with.

Reactions: Board Bard

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

So Maurice's plan is to let them get tsumamied in Winnipeg in preparation for getting tsunamied in St. Louis. Yes, that does sound like Maurice.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
We can't play that physical for 40 minutes and come out strong in the 3rd. Everyone wants it, no one can admit that it isn't possible.
It is possible if you roll the lines. Maurice is pretty clueless when it comes to TOI distribution between the players.

Reactions: Board Bard

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
The Blues looked like the polar opposite of MIN- last year, the Wild wanted nothing to do with the White Out. This year, the Blues didn't seem intimidated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad