GDT: Game 1: Son of a Submariner! | Hawks at Stars | Oct 9, 2014 | 7:30 CT | CSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

GGGHawks18

Dec 16, 2011
There was no best part with regard to Rundblad. He was terrible

I don't think he was terrible. He had a pretty good shift in OT. Other than that, he made one bad pass that didn't clear the zone.

You just see through a tunnel with him and don't give him a chance. He barely played.

Oduya was easily the worst Hawks D man last night in my opinion. The only thing he did right was hit the crossbar, so he missed.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I don't think he was terrible. He had a pretty good shift in OT. Other than that, he made one bad pass that didn't clear the zone.

You just see through a tunnel with him and don't give him a chance. He barely played.

Oduya was easily the worst Hawks D man last night in my opinion. The only thing he did right was hit the crossbar, so he missed.

Oduya wasn't bad at all. He was better than Seabrook.

massivegoonery

Jul 31, 2007
Chicago

Did you not watch the first two periods? Oduya was easily the Hawks' best defender through two and Rundblad the worst.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Rundblad is just a bad player. Any hope that the Rundblad experiment will yield anything positive is just wishful thinking. He stinks.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Pardon me while I crazy for a minute but looks like the Wolves cut Brookbank.

Do the Hawks sign him for 550k to shore up the D? I know theoretically it would be great if Q played the kids and this also risks Brookbank at wing but I'm terrified at the thought of how many minutes Q is gonna put on the top 4 as is.

OK commence gnashing of teeth and wailing in disgust and revulsion.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Pardon me while I crazy for a minute but looks like the Wolves cut Brookbank.

Do the Hawks sign him for 550k to shore up the D? I know theoretically it would be great if Q played the kids and this also risks Brookbank at wing but I'm terrified at the thought of how many minutes Q is gonna put on the top 4 as is.

OK commence gnashing of teeth and wailing in disgust and revulsion.

If we can get Brookbank for league minimum, we do it. He's not flashy, but he is a dependable defensemen/ sometimes forward. I'd rather see him playing then Rundblad, Cumisky, or Rozsival.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
If we can get Brookbank for league minimum, we do it. He's not flashy, but he is a dependable defensemen/ sometimes forward. I'd rather see him playing then Rundblad, Cumisky, or Rozsival.

I haven't seen enough of Cumiskey to make up my mind about him, but I'd prefer Brookbank to Rundblad or Rozi.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Do people really believe that the first two periods are the real Hawks or the third being a closer version? Relish in taking two points from a division rival when we didn't deserve it with our play most of the game (except for Craw).

I don't think it really matters even though I think the 3rd was a bit closer even though they still played worse than their "on-paper" projection. The simple fact remains that the entire team with the exception of Dr. Craw needs to be much much better.

As for Oduya and the rest of the D: IMHO Oduya overall was one of the worst guys out there--shying away from contact, not quite in the right position, and a lot of turnovers. Hammer and Keith overall were probably the best in the backend even though both could have maybe been a bit better. Runblad needed a lot of work, and TVR and Seabs were pedestrian for what we knew they are.

No matter how you slice it the backend play needed to be better. It got a bit better in the 3rd but everyone can be, and needs to be better than that.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I haven't seen enough of Cumiskey to make up my mind about him, but I'd prefer Brookbank to Rundblad or Rozi.

From the little I saw of Cumisky in the preseason, I was reminded of a lesser (albeit cheaper) Nick Leddy. Fast, pmd who struggles in his own zone. Brookbank is a better dman, but we're actually kinda full on RHDs (which Brookbank is), so I doubt Cumisky get's dropped.

CoachQ

Aug 23, 2014
Tinley Park, IL.
Hate to sound like fiddy but this team did not look ready to play last night with the exception of Crawford. I'm getting tired of this team playing one or two periods instead of three. This has to change. I know that they're not going to be on every night, but I can't remember the last complete game they played. Maybe I'm expecting too much I don't know but it's reallyy frustrating to watch bad clears, turnovers and bad penalties for 40 minutes then the champs come out for the last 20 and save the day. I know a lot of folks don't like Q changing up the lines all the time but I'm getting the feeling that this is how he sends a message to the players and they usually respond. Hopefully this isn't a systemic problem going forward.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Hate to sound like fiddy but this team did not look ready to play last night with the exception of Crawford. I'm getting tired of this team playing one or two periods instead of three. This has to change. I know that they're not going to be on every night, but I can't remember the last complete game they played. Maybe I'm expecting too much I don't know but it's reallyy frustrating to watch bad clears, turnovers and bad penalties for 40 minutes then the champs come out for the last 20 and save the day. I know a lot of folks don't like Q changing up the lines all the time but I'm getting the feeling that this is how he sends a message to the players and they usually respond. Hopefully this isn't a systemic problem going forward.

Dallas had 3 PPs in the 1st and the Hawks had none. There's just no way around that.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I thought Rundblad looked a little better towards the end of the game. Far from good, but not as bad as when he started. I'd be curious to see how both he and TVR look with some consistent minutes after 10-15 games. He definitely looked his worst the first 2 periods, in the little time that he got... But it would be unfair to judge him entirely on that, since the entire team was pretty much ambushed those first 2 periods and no one really stood out other than Crow, and maybe Sharpie launching bombs on the PP.

Now I'm not saying Rundblad is going to turn out as a positive move for us, just that I'd like to see him a bit more before overreacting.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
More from the Dallas fans... This is the last part of a post that was just funny to read. I mean the Stars looked hella good tonight, but some need to realize it was just a game. Anyway, the last part of that:

"This team is going to be better than I even hoped. The rest of the league going to cry to momma about them mean, fast, physical, in your face Stars.

Those late 90s, early 2000 teams dominated people. This team is could be the most entertaining sports team I've ever followed."

So yeah, I feel bad for that person as far as his sports teams go.

What? I said entertaining. If you watched that game as a neutral you had to be highly entertained. Good offensive chances, great saves, nice passing, hitting. It was a great game, even though my team lost. The truth is those 1990s Stars teams grinded people to death and had more than enough skill to score as well. Maybe it's just my preference but the style back then in comparison to now pales. I love fast transition hockey so this Dallas team suits my tastes. Yes they are that entertaining.

I've watched Dallas Cowboys teams of years past dominate people. They should have, those teams with Jimmy Johnson for the most part were vastly better than their opponents. I loved the Texas Rangers from 3 years ago but it's baseball. My Longhorns in 2005 were amazing. That 2006 Championship game against USC is the best sporting event I've ever attended. That said my "joy" factor for hockey starts higher. If Dallas plays like that for the rest of the season, regardless of where they finish I'm going to be entertained. What's wrong with what I said?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Did anybody else laugh there ass off when Hjalmarsson took a check swing at Roussel for shooting the puck at Crow after the whistle! Someone is going to knock that guy out one of these days, and I will be happy.

Nothingman*

He tried to have a go at Hossa after a penalty and he just skated past him. He is a tool supreme.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Dallas had 3 PPs in the 1st and the Hawks had none. There's just no way around that.
Actually, there is: Don't take dumb penalties.

Did anybody else laugh there ass off when Hjalmarsson took a check swing at Roussel for shooting the puck at Crow after the whistle! Someone is going to knock that guy out one of these days, and I will be happy.
I'm still waiting for someone to knock Torres the <bleep> out. At least Evander Kane got Cooke. So, as much as I'd like tyo see it, I'm not going to hold my breath unless the ghost of Probert possesses Bollig.

Nothingman*

All of the Hawk penalties were deserved. Dallas deserved a couple that didn't get called..like Fiddler running over Crawford, but the Hawks also got away with a couple.

There was a Dallas player tackling one of ours...Kruger I think...from behind that didn't get called either for some reason in the 1st.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I would be cool with Brookbank-TVR as our third pairing.
Just sit rozsival for the year. He doesn't bring anything but slowness to the team

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
How is the center position solid if we don't have Richards? Who is going to play the 2 or 3 center because without Richards the option is Shaw and no one else. Unless you think that TT should be up now. If he struggles then there is no back up though.

Well it sure was not solid with him in the game... How did you not get the point?

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
If Brookbank is brought back Q eventually would put him in at wing. This place will erupt. No thanks.

How about we give these young guys more than one friggin game before sending them packing. I keep hearing how we need to develop youngsters. In here guys named Pirri, Morin, and Teuvo are all supposed to be given long leashes and allowed to play through their mistakes and develop. These young defenders after 1 game (ok, Runblad is up to 6 now counting last season?) should just be dumped and a whipping boy from the past few seasons should be brought back? Man, the standards in here are beyond impossible to live up to.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
If Brookbank is brought back Q eventually would put him in at wing. This place will erupt. No thanks.

How about we give these young guys more than one friggin game before sending them packing. I keep hearing how we need to develop youngsters. In here guys named Pirri, Morin, and Teuvo are all supposed to be given long leashes and allowed to play through their mistakes and develop. These young defenders after 1 game (ok, Runblad is up to 6 now counting last season?) should just be dumped and a whipping boy from the past few seasons should be brought back? Man, the standards in here are beyond impossible to live up to.

I'm all for TvR and the rest of the kids getting a chance. I'd rather us go with veterans if Q is going to use four and a half defenseman in the third period of an October game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad