Post-Game Talk: Game #1 Sharks @ Kings - Buckaroo Banzai Edition II

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
oooh conspiracy time:

So remember the coworkers comment? What if it was in reference to the system feeling like they were going to work and doing hockey as a job rather than "playing" hockey as a game. So it wasn't so much that the team weren't close but they were bored.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
oooh conspiracy time:

So remember the coworkers comment? What if it was in reference to the system feeling like they were going to work and doing hockey as a job rather than "playing" hockey as a game. So it wasn't so much that the team weren't close but they were bored.

Huh. I hadn't even thought about it like that but I guess it's possible.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
oooh conspiracy time:

Makes way more sense then so and so won't let me be in there group.

No matter what level of hockey you play there is always groups that get along, and groups that just get along on the ice long enough to play the game and that is it.

Mclellan was a system guy for every little detail in the game. I could definately see how after what 5 years of doing the same thing day in day out would get boring and feel more like work then playing hockey.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Mclellan was a system guy for every little detail in the game. I could definately see how after what 5 years of doing the same thing day in day out would get boring and feel more like work then playing hockey.

Speaking of TMac, did any watch the Oilers game last night?

It was like watching the Sharks, but actually watching the Sharks the day before did not look like we were watching the Sharks.

When we were balls deep in the discussion of firing TMac last year, some said that he inherited a good team more so than his coaching abilities that built that team. Although I did not support that view, I am wondering about it now.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I am actually appalled that Dustin Brown isn't getting suspended. I don't care as much about the Lucic hit cause it wasn't as dangerous but holy **** how is Brown's hit not worthy of a suspense? The DoPS gives Raffi 41 games for his hit (yeah it was dirty and as a repeat offender he should pay heavily) but then lets something like this go without so much as a fine? What a joke

DoPS = Department of Pieces of ****.

Waiting on confirmation of the rumors that Shanahan called Quintal, which to me is unethical.

One would think there would be a desire to penalize consistently.

NathanCouture

Angry Joe
Sponsor
Nov 1, 2011
Santa Rosa, CA

It was like watching the Sharks, but actually watching the Sharks the day before did not look like we were watching the Sharks.

When we were balls deep in the discussion of firing TMac last year, some said that he inherited a good team more so than his coaching abilities that built that team. Although I did not support that view, I am wondering about it now.
I remember when I started to turn the corner on the belief that tmac's success may be in part due to inheriting a butt load of talent rather than coaching prowess alone. Whatever truth there is in that, I do believe a change was needed. It's so hard to determine what will bring success in nhl hockey. There are just too many factors and moving parts to build a real formula that works year in and out.

tahoesharksfan

Old-Timer
Apr 29, 2014
The Lake

I actually caught the third period of that game and had almost the exact same impression.

My previous ideas on some issues have changed drastically in the last couple of days, fortunately to liking where we've ended up even better (although it's still a bit early to get TOO carried away with such thoughts).

Bottom line is that Wednesday's game was a blast to watch. I'll take that over last season's action no matter where we end up!

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013

I did. TMac taught Justin Schultz to play defense but told Sekera to forget :laugh:

For the first 3 minutes of the game the Oilers were hemmed in their own zone.

They generated almost zero offense until moments in the second and third when McDavid was less timid.

Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Jul 5, 2007
San Jose, CA

Just like how he inherited a good team, he's now inherited a bad team. I like McLellan as a coach, but that team probably still has some ways to go.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
TMac is a good coach. Above average in the best hockey league in the world, but he's not in the elite tier of coaches who can make below average teams playoff contenders. How many of those coaches are there though?

He runs a greatPowerplay, as shown when he was an assistant in Detroit. The problem is when you are head coach you have to delegate the PP and PK responsibilities more. I would love to have him as an assistant coach, but his time as our HC was long overdue.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
TMac is a good coach. Above average in the best hockey league in the world, but he's not in the elite tier of coaches who can make below average teams playoff contenders. How many of those coaches are there though?

He runs a greatPowerplay, as shown when he was an assistant in Detroit. The problem is when you are head coach you have to delegate the PP and PK responsibilities more. I would love to have him as an assistant coach, but his time as our HC was long overdue.

Notice how the wings pp and pk never missed a beat after mclellan was gone? So maybe just maybe he wasn't that good of an assistant either.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I would love to have him as an assistant coach, but his time as our HC was long overdue.

Oh man, that would have been priceless

Just imagine if instead of the "parting of ways", Doug had just stripped TMac of the HC

He'd have to stand behind the bench with a big goofy A on his lapel

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Just like how he inherited a good team, he's now inherited a bad team. I like McLellan as a coach, but that team probably still has some ways to go.

That team lucked into Connor freaking McDavid. Pretty sure they'll be fine. TMac is a good coach. Just not the right one for us anymore.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
This is absurd. If you go into the Oilers GDT, you'll find that they are happy with McLellan. Pretty much saying the same things about him as we are about DeBoer, about how much more fun the game was to watch, etc. TMac is and was a good coach. The revisionist history isn't attractive.

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
So who's excited for the Peter DeBoer San Jose Sharks opener tomorrow night? :laugh:

Feeling pretty good about beating the Ducks tomorrow and quite excited to hear that goal song a handful of times. :sarcasm:

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
This is absurd. If you go into the Oilers GDT, you'll find that they are happy with McLellan. Pretty much saying the same things about him as we are about DeBoer, about how much more fun the game was to watch, etc. TMac is and was a good coach. The revisionist history isn't attractive.

While that might be revisionist history, the funny thing is, both can be true at the same time, pointing out how awful Eakins may have been.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
The Oilers looked ok. They had more structure to their game which is better than whatever Eakins had them doing. Still a lot of work for TMac to do.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento

Yeah, that's been running rampant around here. It's starting to remind me of the way Bruins fans talk about Joe Thornton.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Notice how the wings pp and pk never missed a beat after mclellan was gone? So maybe just maybe he wasn't that good of an assistant either.

Is that why the Wings have been begging for a new PP coach since his departure? He was fantastic at making their PP dangerous. I would say the 2 major knocks on TMac was that he wasn't as good at surrounding himself with talent as the best coaches are and that he preferred too conservative as style.

He was a great coach who if he had better assistants might have won more. The Yawney years were a total waste and woodcroft shouldn't have left the video room. That's really the only thing negative I have to say about TMac.

Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Jul 5, 2007
San Jose, CA
That team lucked into Connor freaking McDavid. Pretty sure they'll be fine. TMac is a good coach. Just not the right one for us anymore.

Oh I agree, Tmac is a good coach. Even with McDavid, that team is still incomplete. They'll be fine I'm sure, but surely you'd agree that that team has a few holes in the lineup?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad