Post-Game Talk: Game #1 Sharks @ Kings - Buckaroo Banzai Edition II

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
I am actually appalled that Dustin Brown isn't getting suspended. I don't care as much about the Lucic hit cause it wasn't as dangerous but holy **** how is Brown's hit not worthy of a suspense? The DoPS gives Raffi 41 games for his hit (yeah it was dirty and as a repeat offender he should pay heavily) but then lets something like this go without so much as a fine? What a joke

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I was hoping the Vlasic interview would be uploaded but it looks like they don't have it.

Also I'm watching the Couture interview right now and it's amazing how nothing is going to come out of both Brown and Lucic, mostly Brown.

The Great John Scott

#Trade4JohnScott
Aug 23, 2014
Since Raffi isn't on the roster for now, this'd be the best time to claim Scott. Say what you will about his play (miraculous as it was), the Kings certainly didn't try this stuff with him out there.

corbanSOG

Registered Loser
Apr 27, 2003
Since Raffi isn't on the roster for now, this'd be the best time to claim Scott. Say what you will about his play (miraculous as it was), the Kings certainly didn't try this stuff with him out there.

Yes, I'm sure Scott fighting Clifford or Andreoff on the next shift would have prevented Brown from another reckless hit.

JudgeJimmie

Oct 5, 2013
Rochester, MN
Hey, just moved to the bay from Minnesota, figured I'd better watch the sharks a little bit (mostly for Burns haha), and it was a fun game to watch last night. Definitely could see the rivalry showing between the Sharks and Kings. Going to my first Sharks game on Saturday, and hoping for another good one against the Ducks!

Go Sharks (When they aren't playing the Wild)!

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Hey, just moved to the bay from Minnesota, figured I'd better watch the sharks a little bit (mostly for Burns haha), and it was a fun game to watch last night. Definitely could see the rivalry showing between the Sharks and Kings. Going to my first Sharks game on Saturday, and hoping for another good one against the Ducks!

Go Sharks (When they aren't playing the Wild)!

Good to have you on board.

Have fun at the game. I can't wait. Opening Nights are always one of the highlights of the season for me. :yo:

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Good to have you on board.

Have fun at the game. I can't wait. Opening Nights are always one of the highlights of the season for me. :yo:

I too am going to my first opening night. I can't wait and hope to get there at least an hour early.

As for the game, I think the Sharks played with more confidence in last night's game than any time last year. This was a team that once they gave up a goal, they just stepped on the gas and dominated until the end. It felt like there was an energy there that was so non-existant last year and it gave me some excitement. I don't expect that every game, but if we get that for most of the games this year, I will be happy. Also loved Couture's smirk when Lucic came over. Lucic is a punk, and yeah Couture could be considered a diver, but love that attitude.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
League saying they don't know what to suspend him for is comical (brown). If you call what Torres did interference, that is blatant interference and a head shot leading with his head. The dops is a joke that blatantly caters to certain players.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I too am going to my first opening night. I can't wait and hope to get there at least an hour early.

Looks like the weather is going to be nice, so I'm gonna go super early and get a burger and beer downtown first and then get to the game early as well. I don't expect I'm gonna be feeling too great Sunday morning.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
NHL has such a big issue with grey areas around rules. Look at the stupid goalie interference that cost us points two years ago.

Pretty ridiculous they complain about head contact. Then turn a blind eye to Brown and Lucic going right for the head last night.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I am of the opinion the Sharks should have some goon called up for the next kings game. Id like to say for the sole purpose of injuring Dustin brown but I would never condone such an action.... :sarcasm:

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
NHL has such a big issue with grey areas around rules. Look at the stupid goalie interference that cost us points two years ago.

Pretty ridiculous they complain about head contact. Then turn a blind eye to Brown and Lucic going right for the head last night.
I'm starting to wonder if because of the fact Couture was hitting and doing what he did late in the game if the league let them off the hook? If he would have rolled around after the Brown hit or didn't have any other impact in the game their decision may be different.

Also, how can the league basically say the hit was bad but not give out a punishment because it didn't break a specific rule in their opinion? Couldn't they have just made one up like they have in other cases?

nabbyfan

Oct 4, 2007
Santa Clarita, CA
Also, how can the league basically say the hit was bad but not give out a punishment because it didn't break a specific rule in their opinion? Couldn't they have just made one up like they have in other cases?

My biggest concern besides the obvious disgust at no suspension for Brown, is that the league is basically saying this is an OK hockey play. Dustin brown used his helmet to hit Logan Couture in the face, and received no penalty during the game and no penalty after the game.

This implies that a shark would be OK to use their helmet to hit Brown in the face.

I wouldn't have such a big problem with Brown if he would just fight Wingels, like Tommy has been trying for the last season and a half. Answer for your BS, Dustin.

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
My biggest concern besides the obvious disgust at no suspension for Brown, is that the league is basically saying this is an OK hockey play. Dustin brown used his helmet to hit Logan Couture in the face, and received no penalty during the game and no penalty after the game.

This implies that a shark would be OK to use their helmet to hit Brown in the face.

+1

Lucic should've been suspended, too, but at least he was penalized and hit with a 5-min major and ejected. Personally, I think there should be a rule where a match penalty in the last 5 minutes of a game where there is a 2+ goal difference carries an automatic 1-game suspension (similar to how an instigator in the final 5 minutes is an supposed to be automatic suspension....though I'd account for score, since taking a 5 min major in a close game may be punishment enough).

But that head butting thing is ridiculous. You can at least make the case that Lucic's attack merited only the major penalty it received. A head butt to the face? That is never okay. Or at least it should never be okay. And the league just threw their hands up and said it's fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad