Post-Game Talk: Game #1 Sharks @ Kings - Buckaroo Banzai Edition II

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Oh I agree, Tmac is a good coach. Even with McDavid, that team is still incomplete. They'll be fine I'm sure, but surely you'd agree that that team has a few holes in the lineup?

Surely, but McLellan is in there for the long-haul, not the the first half of this season. I think it would be a mistake to count them out, even this season.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Just to be clear, i never said anything about McLellen's quality as a coach but I have said in the past that I think he's not so great with the pk, and neutral zone in particular. I had some problems with the way he had the team play defensively. However, I do recognize how obscenely good his PP and offensive zone coaching is.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Brown not getting suspended is insulting. I'm not going to condone Torres or condemn the NHL for their punishment; but they're not even buying their own BS for not suspending DB.

Anyway, not surprising the Sharks come out flying in a new system. A new pace/change of scenery was needed, and obvious to anyone who's followed this team.

The trap is aiight because it means we're winning....plus just in general more exciting than the blues and NJD

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Just to be clear, i never said anything about McLellen's quality as a coach but I have said in the past that I think he's not so great with the pk, and neutral zone in particular. I had some problems with the way he had the team play defensively. However, I do recognize how obscenely good his PP and offensive zone coaching is.

I think McLellan's biggest flaw is he does not adapt well. He's a stick the plan kind of guy and staunchly refuses to make major adjustments when they are needed. This is a good strategy, until it isn't, sadly. He was constantly beaten when opposing coaches would make adjustments and the Sharks would just stick to the plan and get neutralized.

It's either that, or he's simply not good at getting his players to do what he tells them to do, and that's an even bigger problem that would get worse over time (and appeared to).

I also hugely prefer what we saw no Wednesday to what Tmac coached. Aggressive high tempo pressure the puck carrier type hockey. The Kings never had a second to breathe, the Sharks were constantly attacking them even when the Kings had the puck in the offensive zone (what little they did have it). It will bite them occasionally when someone is over aggressive and loses their man, but overall it makes your team terrifying to play against.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This is that new coach honeymoon you always have. This early season stuff isn't the test for what fit they are here. When teams make adjustments to your style, that's the real test. Test how quickly you acknowledge and implement a change because you need that for playoff hockey. It's less needed during the regular season because there is less focus by the opponents to prepare for you specifically when it'll be someone else the next game.

We felt this same type of feeling when TMac first came here. Hell, we had a historic start to that season.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
This is that new coach honeymoon you always have. This early season stuff isn't the test for what fit they are here. When teams make adjustments to your style, that's the real test. Test how quickly you acknowledge and implement a change because you need that for playoff hockey. It's less needed during the regular season because there is less focus by the opponents to prepare for you specifically when it'll be someone else the next game.

We felt this same type of feeling when TMac first came here. Hell, we had a historic start to that season.

Welp, as long its fun, I'll ride this Deboer hype train to hell. Then I'll rise out of the flames with fury and vengeance calling for Deboer's head.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009

This is true, but starting to think that he was a better fit than Babcock for the makeup of this roster. He would have become fairly redundant after TMac's tenure.

Seems like DW and Deboer brought in the guys they wanted, and they're all getting off on the right foot so far.

Nice to see Burns finally paired with the right guy, then Vlasic shift around as needed since he can pretty much play with anyone

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Braun's 3 min or so shift was somewhat fun to watch.

Yes it was, and I was particularly impressed with how he didn't really slow down or show any outward signs of fatigue. He was even able to skate the puck out so a change could finally happen.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Yup. Statistically, new coaches usually have a positive immediate effect even if they aren't so good. A new coach means people have someone new to impress, someone new to convince to be in their corner, and someone new who decides if they've earned their ice time. After ~30 games, the new coach has picked his faves.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Actually in the oilers gdt it felt mixed. And I saw a lot of hate for Purcell and some not so subtle mentions about his ice time not getting cut. That had tmac written all over it.

Some were saying the Eakins stink wasn't quite gone yet and some were saying they played harder and had more structure defensively.

Mixed bag right now.

Lots calling to split up hall and mcdavid etc. they are calling him out specifically but are calling out things he has a hand in.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Glad to hear Martin is fitting in over there. Great guy, smart player, and a heck of a consistent D man. Good signing for you guys.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
Glad to hear Martin is fitting in over there. Great guy, smart player, and a heck of a consistent D man. Good signing for you guys.

I was really happy with this year's signings, especially Martin. I also find it a bit funny that last season, our radio announcer, Dan Rusanowsky, was gushing over him when we played the Pens.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
This is absurd. If you go into the Oilers GDT, you'll find that they are happy with McLellan. Pretty much saying the same things about him as we are about DeBoer, about how much more fun the game was to watch, etc. TMac is and was a good coach. The revisionist history isn't attractive.

Being the Oilers, there is not anywhere for them to go but up. TMAC has that going for him.

Oilers where shutout in that game as well. The one goal came from a blues player who was clearing the puck on a PK that bounced off his teammate and in to the net.

I saw some of the issue with the Sharks in that game which was a system that was not being executed well.

However, the Oilers are very close to being a playoff team since they have some regarded offensive assets and a 1st round to trade. They just need a couple of defensive men, and time to get TMac's system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad