Post-Game Talk: Game #1: Rangers @ Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
duclair played good but he isnt ready for top six. Let him get comfortable first

Definitely just needs some seasoning.
Is it me or does the zucc brass line need a big body on wing? Would like to say kredier but I'm sure most would disagree especially after the chemistry he showed on the first line

Wolfy*

There's a reason why Miller has been demoted to a 4th line position. Not only did he lose all face-offs, but he was more or less invisible on the ice.

And I'd say Zucc played a good game because he helped the team win in a different and unexpected way. Stuff like that should be appreciated. And it was, by his teammates and others.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Pld, I agree with you in theory for sure. But to me it is clearly AV structuring things this way based on who he trusts defensively. He has two players (Miller and Duke) who he clearly wanted to give almost exclusively offensive zone starts (haven't seen the numbers on that) and a little PP time. That is why those two were on the same line - the coach didn't trust them against a potential top 5 team in the league starting in the dzone.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
There's a reason why Miller has been demoted to a 4th line position. Not only did he lose all face-offs, but he was more or less invisible on the ice.

And I'd say Zucc played a good game because he helped the team win in a different and unexpected way. Stuff like that should be appreciated. And it was, by his teammates and others.
JT Miller was on the ice for 12 ShotsTaken and 10 ShotsAgainst. 0 points.

Zucc was on the ice for 6 ShotsTaken and 14 ShotsAgainst. 0 points.

What did we have, like, 4 shots in the 15 minutes after Zucc's fight?

TruBlue

May 3, 2014
Moore did turn the puck over on a great back check but I think fast was lazy on his back check no matter what if someone turns it over which happens to every one the other players have to pick up his mistake now could have fast changed the goal I don't know but he did slow up and just reached with his stick ,not saying it's his fault . I think he needs another year down or at least half a year he has done nothing offensive . I like the guy but think rangers have better options

That was not a great back check, the Blues player was on him from the red line and he picked Moore's pocket at the STL blue line, he should have dumped it in deep.:shakehead

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I mean, I just don't see how anyone can say Miller had a good game. I just cannot disagree more with those that think that. He just existed. He did nothing. Far too often do I see this from him. In fact, I wish he had more swagger like he did when he was on the NTDP.

petey

Oct 13, 2013
You are right he should have dumped I don't think he even knew he was there but to say that's not a great back check is crazy it was a good hustle play and exactly what he was supposed to do he cleanly picked his pocket an led to a goal you can't do much more then that .that is text book backcheck how could it be better directly led to a goal

AHB*

I've been saying this for weeks now. Miller was over exposed last night because while he still young and learning the NHL game, he had a kid on his wing younger than him on his LW. I like Stemp, but Bob ****ing Ganiey in his prime wouldn't have helped that situation.

Playing rookies and youngsters is never been the problem. It never will be the problem.

Playing them together when you don;t have to? THATS THE PROBLEM

MSL made a nice pass to Nash on the winner, but as the Center for that line, was on pace to be the last guy to leave the zone there. That was a broken play and MSL was out of position.

The fact is, MSL at center last night did not actually work and the team even without Stepan would best be served by maintaining our superior RW depth.

You flank a young center like Miller with smart and talented vets that have the ability to cover any mistakes and help develope the kids offensive instincts.

Hagelin - Miller - MSL

Speed, defensive awareness and solid offensive instincts.

Put Duke with Brass and Zuccs

Hayes with Kreider and Nash.

Stemp - Moore - Fast

Kids are in the line up and protected by Vets.

throwing Duke - Miller - Stemp together is a mish mosh. You hope they have instant chemistry, other wise you pray that they don't **** **** up.

In a perfect world, something like this would be done. I can't really argue with AV though since he got the team further then I ever expected last year. I don't agree with a lot of his methods, but it does have proven results.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
In a perfect world, something like this would be done. I can't really argue with AV though since he got the team further then I ever expected last year. I don't agree with a lot of his methods, but it does have proven results.

In a perfect world Miller is nowhere near MSL.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Definitely just needs some seasoning.
Is it me or does the zucc brass line need a big body on wing? Would like to say kredier but I'm sure most would disagree especially after the chemistry he showed on the first line

Yes that was the point in my last post, they require a certain physicality to play with. That's why out of the rookies I think Hayes, Fast or even Miller are better fits if you're going to plug in young players. Kreider would be great but then you're weakening another line. Tough call really.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I've been saying this for weeks now. Miller was over exposed last night because while he still young and learning the NHL game, he had a kid on his wing younger than him on his LW. I like Stemp, but Bob ****ing Ganiey in his prime wouldn't have helped that situation.

Playing rookies and youngsters is never been the problem. It never will be the problem.

Playing them together when you don;t have to? THATS THE PROBLEM

MSL made a nice pass to Nash on the winner, but as the Center for that line, was on pace to be the last guy to leave the zone there. That was a broken play and MSL was out of position.

The fact is, MSL at center last night did not actually work and the team even without Stepan would best be served by maintaining our superior RW depth.

You flank a young center like Miller with smart and talented vets that have the ability to cover any mistakes and help develope the kids offensive instincts.

Hagelin - Miller - MSL

Speed, defensive awareness and solid offensive instincts.

Put Duke with Brass and Zuccs

Hayes with Kreider and Nash.

Stemp - Moore - Fast

Kids are in the line up and protected by Vets.

throwing Duke - Miller - Stemp together is a mish mosh. You hope they have instant chemistry, other wise you pray that they don't **** **** up.

I have to agree with this...

The lines for tomorrow should be:

Kreider-Miller-Nash --- 2 experiences guys + a newbie.. Kreider and miller have previously shown chemistry in the AHL... Might as well rekindle it while we are at it. Nash and Kreider work well together as we saw last night, and Miller+Nash looked solid in preseason...

Duclair-Brassard-Zucc --- Duclair, while not as "big" as Pouliot, can finish plays. That's what Zucc and Brass need on this line

Hagelin-Hayes-MSL --- Hagelin and MSL have shown good chemistry together as well... Hayes is SUPER patient with the puck, and a slower skater. Makes sense to me to put him on that line

Glass-Moore-Stempniak --- That's a hell of a 4th line...

This balances out the lineup. We cannot depend on 1 line to win us games every night like last night...

BUT, I'm not opposed to letting certain players stick for a few games and see if they work. I still do not think however that Hags is a good fit with Zucc and Brass

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I don't necessarily disagree with the proposed lines, but with the shortage of center options, I don't see how you can break up last night's top line. MSL wasn't great at center really, but that line as a whole was very dangerous, and it allowed a guy who never played center before to fill in as a 1C on the team's most potent scoring line.

AHB*

Ok so just read avs post practice quotes from today and they basically destroy what Wolfy was arguing. He said he wants jt to stay in the middle, but glass has a back issue so they might have to start Hayes and would have to juggle some thing.

He said if glass and fast can go tomorrow he is staying with the same lineup. And Hayes is healthy now. So they are going, rightly so, with miller over Hayes.

So now that wolfy can't throw a fake demotion or avs quotes in my face, how will he present his miller played terrible and worse then Zucc argument.

Wolfy*

I've already said what I mean about that.

Looks like AV will give Miller another chance, lets hope he wins a face-off this time.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Ok so just read avs post practice quotes from today and they basically destroy what Wolfy was arguing. He said he wants jt to stay in the middle, but glass has a back issue so they might have to start Hayes and would have to juggle some thing.

He said if glass and fast can go tomorrow he is staying with the same lineup. And Hayes is healthy now. So they are going, rightly so, with miller over Hayes.

So now that wolfy can't throw a fake demotion or avs quotes in my face, how will he present his miller played terrible and worse then Zucc argument.
The coach wanting to stick with Miller at center because he is young and needs to grow, learn, adjust and Miller have a terrible game are two separate things. Miller was still bad last night. That's the bottom line. I think Zucc was better regardless of the shot stats and not considering the fight...but not better by a lot.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
The coach wanting to stick with Miller at center because he is young and needs to grow, learn, adjust and Miller have a terrible game are two separate things. Miller was still bad last night. That's the bottom line. I think Zucc was better regardless of the shot stats and not considering the fight...but not better by a lot.
Then what are you considering?

I know he blew on face-offs, but I'm getting the impression people think he was bad besides that. Eh, whatever; One game, which we won anyway, so... haha.

Last edited:

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
I'm getting pretty annoyed with miller. I thought this kind was supposed to be a fast physical center. I'm not seeing it and I didn't see it in preseason. I'm very disappointed, hayes has shown more flashes than miller.

I saw it during a few games I saw during the preseason :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad