Post-Game Talk: Game #1: Rangers @ Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHB*

Miller had an awful game, and he'll probably spend some time in the press box if this continues. He's useless at center.

Completely wrong. Zucc, Brass and John Moore had the worst games on this team last night.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I didn't see miller in trouble once in his zone he was strong and made good plays. Msl was awful in his zone

Miller looked like a solid 3c to me

HOWEVER it's pretty obvious the Rangers are in love with hayes size skill and poise they want him in that spot IMO badly especially when they think about going up against the Boston's Kings etc.

They may be more willing to live with his mistakes than any other rookie on the roster

This...

Miller had a REALLY good game. Kid looked great with the puck... compare him to last year and the difference is absolutely apparent and noticeable...

Lets hang up on Hayes for a bit... kid likes to play LW... lets see what happens...

I thin kfor the future, Miller replaces Brassard, and Hayes takes the 3C spot, but lets take our time and work with what we have for now.

The good:

Top line players played like TOP LINE PLAYERS last night.

Kreider is on fire

MSL is very good at moving the puck

Nash is going to the middle to shoot. Very good sign

Miller is super composed and confident with the puck. Didn't see him have many defensive lapses, and his skating speed is a huge relief compared to Brad Richards in that 3C spot... The mistakes he made were small, and I will say that every mistake he did make, he did so with the RIGHT INTENTIONS... that pass across the slot in the 3rd period was absolutely the right move. Duclair was too far up the play to get the pass, but it was the right play. Miller looks more than formidable. 25-30 points is absolutely doable for him... Let's also remember he is 22 years old... Kid's a gamer

Dom Moore is so versatile. Thank god we resigned him. What a gamer

Klein is definitely capable of top 4 minutes

Staal played a very composed and steady game. it's clear he is much better against slower teams, which is not a bad thing in any way

McDonagh-Girardi pairing played super consistently, other than Girardi getting juked out of his pants. my goodness, but you cant blame him. Taresenko is a great player.

Rick Nash scoring goals. Such a relief.

Zucc's passion is always needed.

Lots of goalie protection

Glass is growing on me more and more every game. I love watching him.

Stempniak is such a complete player. he really did make so many small, but noticeable and necessary plays especially in the neutral zone.

The bad:

John Moore and his ****ing 10 cent head... such poor defensive zone play... his only asset is his skating.. If he EVER puts it together, he'll be such a good player, but he plays too individually, and too selfishly, meaning he isn't playing with the rest of his team, he's trying to do it on his own... but this is the NHL, and you cannot win going 1 v 5...

I did notice that Staal lost the puck off his stick a few times in the corners for no apparent reason. Not thinking much of it, but I hope it isn't a sign of more to come.

Penalties were abysmal, and not just due to the rangers play. There were some penalties that were being called on one team and not on the other. How the boarding call of Zucc's head being crushed into the boards just before the Stastny incident was missed is beyond me... but the check from behind by Zucc earlier in the game was considered boarding, and was called by the CENTER ICE REFEREE, not the ref that was 10 feet from the play... Definitely think there was some sort of an attempt to equalize the game. How do you explain 4-5 powerplays in a row, including a 5 on 3 for nearly 1.5 minutes? I can't blame it all on penalties.

MSL at center is both a sore sight and a relief... he's good on and off the puck, but he is so small that he isnt as effective as he is as a winger... He is defensively responsible and that is not a problem... but it's clear that he's only a 40-50 point player as a centerman...

Hagelin on the Brass-Zucc line is not a good fit. Duclair absolutely needs to be up there with them.

Lines for next game should be:

Kreider-MSL-Nash
Duclair-Brassard-Zucc
Hagelin-Miller-Stempniak
Glass-Moore-Fast

As for lines after we are healthy, that is a tough call... Kreider and Nash are working super well, but so is Nash and MSL...

So your first line is either:
MSL-Stepan-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-MSL
Kreider-Stepan-Nash

And the rest:
Duclair/Stempniak-Brassard-Zucc
Hagelin-Miller-Fast
Glass-Moore-Malone/Stempniak

Thoughts?

Mickaleen

May 8, 2012
Upstate NY
lol...Zucc's play and fight was actually a major factor for the win.

It's like captain McDonagh said...Zucc showed a lot of courage and passion. It lit a fire under our bench and got the team going again.

This^

When it comes to hockey fights, its not always about the win, but rather the willingness to "show up". And when its one of your skilled guys, who also happens to be one of the smaller guys in the league at that, well how could you not get fired up?

Wolfy*

Completely wrong. Zucc, Brass and John Moore had the worst games on this team last night.

That's your opinion, obviously my views of the game and the players are a little different. We just have to accept that.

Wolfy*

This^

When it comes to hockey fights, its not always about the win, but rather the willingness to "show up". And when its one of your skilled guys, who also happens to be one of the smaller guys in the league at that, well how could you not get fired up?

Amen :)

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
That's your opinion, obviously my views of the game and the players are a little different. We just have to accept that.
It's not his opinion, Zucc, Brassard, and JMoore were all worst on the team 5-on-5 in terms of ShotsFor/ShotsAgainst.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

according to the scoresheet, you are incorrect. Zucc did not score, Brassard was nearly invisible and not responsible for any positive plays, and John Moore directly caused a goal against with a horrendous play/playread...

These are facts, not opinions...

Wolfy*

Can you back this up with anything if you're going to continue parroting it? FFS.

0 for 10 on face-offs? We just gotta do something about that. And according to the practice lines we have, Miller a fourth line winger.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
0 for 10 on face-offs? We just gotta do something about that. And according to the practice lines we have, Miller a fourth line winger.
And despite that they were still better than Brassard's line. MSL was at 36% on FO's, did he have an awful game solely because of that?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
If the best thing Zuccarello (and specifically Zuccarello) did in the game was fight, then yes, he had a bad game.

I swear, some people never learn. Even if Miller had a bad game yesterday or Zuccarello did, why should people be so up in arms about it? Players go through ups and downs, sometimes the downs are at the beginning of the year. And that's not even talking about how it was just one game. I seem to remember Zuccarello being absolutely atrocious to start the season last year and then leading us in scoring at the end of the year.

People should be more patient and willing to let things play out instead of reacting to everything.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
The point is that at real speed against a team as big with as much toughness as St Louis, it would be easy to get a 19 year old off his game and possibly injure his confidence. He doesn't play any kind of a physical game, which is fine, but it is still absolutely unknown how he will respond to high tempo, hard hitting big and nasty NHL teams. I said nothing of his skill level not being up to par, its his demeanor that make me have second guesses to whether he can hack it mentally for 82 NHL games and not lose confidence. Its about not spoiling a grade A prospect.

There there... Worry yourself not. He'll be justttt fine. Zero chance of spoilage.

Some opinions are based so strongly on reality that they might as well count as established fact. This is one of those cases. All 3 without a doubt were the worst players on the team last night, and all 3 need to put it behind them and have a much better game tomorrow. I have confidence they will. But last night? Yeah, total suckage from all 3.

And despite that they were still better than Brassard's line. MSL was at 36% on FO's, did he have an awful game solely because of that?

Why do you think MSL had an awful game? Am I misunderstanding?

I actually enjoy seeing him rise to the challenge at center and don't mind him there one bit for now. I honestly think you can put him anywhere and he'd be smart enough to pull it off. Not many players like MSL, that you can just simply trust in. The more I see him, the more I'm really glad we have him, and that he will retire with us. He's just world class on so many levels both on and off the ice.

Oh, and on a totallllllly separate side note, and I mean totally, but did anyone else feel like throwing something at the tv if they heard that god awful friggin cadillac commercial one more time?

Last edited by a moderator:

Zuccarello Awesome*

If the best thing Zuccarello (and specifically Zuccarello) did in the game was fight, then yes, he had a bad game.

I swear, some people never learn. Even if Miller had a bad game yesterday or Zuccarello did, why should people be so up in arms about it? Players go through ups and downs, sometimes the downs are at the beginning of the year. And that's not even talking about how it was just one game. I seem to remember Zuccarello being absolutely atrocious to start the season last year and then leading us in scoring at the end of the year.

People should be more patient and willing to let things play out instead of reacting to everything.

Finally someone who gets it.

Breath of fresh air.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Why do you think MSL had an awful game? Am I misunderstanding?

I actually enjoy seeing him rise to the challenge at center and don't mind him there one bit for now. I honestly think you can put him anywhere and he'd be smart enough to pull it off. Not many players like MSL, that you can just simply trust in. The more I see him, the more I'm really glad we have him, and that he will retire with us. He's just world class on so many levels both on and off the ice.
No I think MSL was great, despite being not-so on faceoffs.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Here's the thing about JT:

- He is definitely more engaged and dynamic (the key thing I always look for) when playing center; his individual play as a player definitely improves. This makes you think he should definitely be a C.

- BUT he also seems to have difficulty jibing with his linemates and making the forward group as a whole better when he plays center; he doesn't seem to fit as well on his line. That instinct to do it all himself makes you think he should be a wing.

I think it's the latter that has always bugged me. Hopefully he grows out of it, but I dunno...

AHB*

Miller is frustrating. The skillset is there but the mental things need work

What mentally did he do wrong last night?

I just don't understand how a guy who does the following is being judged so harshly based on a solid overall game:

- Incredibly hard work over the off-season
- One of the first players at camp this pre-season
- One of the best conditioned players at camp this pre-season
- One of the, if not the best player in the pre-season games
- Decently solid first regular season game, outside of face-offs.

You would think he single-handedly put three goals in his own net and lost us the game with the way he played. Frankly, I thought he was a relative bright spot n a game that really didn't have many.

Also, I'd respond to Wolfy, but thankfully many already did so I don't have to.

Jjksport

Jul 22, 2014

Very well said.
I think Miller & Duclair played well until they didn't get much icetime/flow with all the penalties and Blues improved play.
In fact, I thought Duclair looked rather composed, especially with the puck. The pass to far defenseman on the PP, with three Blues around him, was so quick and effortless. His work on the boards, on the our hand, still needs work. This is expected from a young skilled explosive forward who could use his speed and quickness to get away from junior players.
I think Hank has to take the biggest blame on the first goal. He blockered it right into the crease, as apposed to the corner or higher up to the half boards, he is human.
I think counted at least 4-5 clear trips on the Blues, without a penalty called, and 2-3 of them gave them good scoring chances.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I've been saying this for weeks now. Miller was over exposed last night because while he still young and learning the NHL game, he had a kid on his wing younger than him on his LW. I like Stemp, but Bob ****ing Ganiey in his prime wouldn't have helped that situation.

Playing rookies and youngsters is never been the problem. It never will be the problem.

Playing them together when you don;t have to? THATS THE PROBLEM

MSL made a nice pass to Nash on the winner, but as the Center for that line, was on pace to be the last guy to leave the zone there. That was a broken play and MSL was out of position.

The fact is, MSL at center last night did not actually work and the team even without Stepan would best be served by maintaining our superior RW depth.

You flank a young center like Miller with smart and talented vets that have the ability to cover any mistakes and help develope the kids offensive instincts.

Hagelin - Miller - MSL

Speed, defensive awareness and solid offensive instincts.

Put Duke with Brass and Zuccs

Hayes with Kreider and Nash.

Stemp - Moore - Fast

Kids are in the line up and protected by Vets.

throwing Duke - Miller - Stemp together is a mish mosh. You hope they have instant chemistry, other wise you pray that they don't **** **** up.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I've been saying this for weeks now. Miller was over exposed last night because while he still young and learning the NHL game, he had a kid on his wing younger than him on his LW. I like Stemp, but Bob ****ing Ganiey in his prime wouldn't have helped that situation.

Playing rookies and youngsters is never been the problem. It never will be the problem.

Playing them together when you don;t have to? THATS THE PROBLEM

MSL made a nice pass to Nash on the winner, but as the Center for that line, was on pace to be the last guy to leave the zone there. That was a broken play and MSL was out of position.

The fact is, MSL at center last night did not actually work and the team even without Stepan would best be served by maintaining our superior RW depth.

You flank a young center like Miller with smart and talented vets that have the ability to cover any mistakes and help develope the kids offensive instincts.

Hagelin - Miller - MSL

Speed, defensive awareness and solid offensive instincts.

Put Duke with Brass and Zuccs

Hayes with Kreider and Nash.

Stemp - Moore - Fast

Kids are in the line up and protected by Vets.

throwing Duke - Miller - Stemp together is a mish mosh. You hope they have instant chemistry, other wise you pray that they don't **** **** up.

There's definitely something to what you say here.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Duclair isn't physical enough to play with Brassard-MZA, I don't think that's any better than Hagelin for the style they like to play. Out of the rookies Hayes is a much better match or maybe even Fast. Everyone keeps saying put Duclair with MZA and Brass and I just don't see it.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Duclair isn't physical enough to play with Brassard-MZA, I don't think that's any better than Hagelin for the style they like to play. Out of the rookies Hayes is a much better match or maybe even Fast. Everyone keeps saying put Duclair with MZA and Brass and I just don't see it.
duclair played good but he isnt ready for top six. Let him get comfortable first

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Nobody mentions stempniak i thought he played well

Totally agree. Played very well. Showed he was willing to skate hard, work hard, drive to net. Dom Moore as well. Such a great resigning thank goodness we have this guy. So underrated and selfless

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
If we Keep MSL at center with nash and Kreider, we'll solve our center depth problem when Step comes back :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad