Pre-Game Talk: Game 1: Panthers @ Lightning-Hockey's back Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
^Nick will get his chances IMO. I don't know why but I have this feeling that McGinn will be labeled McGimp at some point this season. I just have a feeling that the Yotes were glad to dump his contract since he didn't play very well last year and it may have been due to the back surgery after the previous season. Couple that with the fact he went off the ice and didn't return in what was deemed to be nothing serious during the Boltz game and it something that bears watching. :)

Last edited:

Depch

Aug 27, 2006
Delete account
Difference there is McGinn played the whole season last year and Bjuggy played 54 and was probably playing hurt for a bit of those. Bjugstad is definitely the potentially better player than McGinn. He also has a much bigger contract. He deserves that spot if for nothing else than to play himself up before the deadline.

Yes, I can agree with all of these points to a degree, it's valid. It's just that it's probably not as lopsided as some make it seem here. McGinn has serious potential to score goals as well (22g 15-16) and that crash the net presence in the second line could really pay off. We just don't know. Like I said it's a tough decision to make. If it doesn't pay off, they'll adapt. Give them a chance to show what they are about and do they make the right decisions that pay off on the ice in the real games.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I can see merit in Bjugstad being either 3C or 2L.

But the rationale to use is NOT just because he's got greater potential individually. Line combinations matter. Ask Babcock about Zack Hyman on the first line.

Reactions: I am not exposed

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
The only reason Nick hasn’t lived up to anything is cuz he’s spent a lot of the time hurt. I think he should be given a chance to prove he belongs. I mean he had a damn good 2 first seasons. Again, he should definitely be skating with Trocheck and Vrby over McGinn. He was a near 50 point man as a second year player skating with Huby in 2014.

It pisses me off that we’d protect him over our leading scorer with the contract he has and then mire him on a 3rd line wing. If you are gonna stay committed to him, cool. But show you are still committed to him by giving him a chance to succeed.

Not only is putting him in the bottom six detrimental to his confidence it’s extremely detrimental to any hope to boost his trade value. I feel we will be stuck with this contract for a long time.
Nick had a nice first two years. Nothing world shaking. If you watch him play, you'll see he has serious flaws to his game. He is a below average defensive player, not something you want in your top 6 center, he is not a good passer, he has a low hockey IQ and doesn't use his teammates well. He also doesn't use his best asset, his size and skating ability, to his advantage and plays a soft game. His numbers were good because he played with Huberdeau who can help a lot of players score. Bjugstad has also shown a crappy effort, including this preseason when he's been healthy.

Again, he got outplayed by Trocheck. Nobody thinks Bjugstad is the second best center on this team. It's now up for debate he's the third best. So no, he doesn't deserve top 6 ice time. He can earn it. He also isn't being "mired" on the 3rd line. He'll get lesser competition to play against and PP time. He'll have plenty of ice time to prove himself. And if he's playing RW, he's not better than Vrbata. Depth chart would dictate, Dads and Vrbata are clearly ahead of him.

Lineups will change and if he shows anything like you think he's capable he'll get moved. You know the lineup will change so idk why you're in such a tizzy over a guy who has been an absolute disaster getting ice time on the third line.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
and what did Jamie McGinn do this preseason? A guy who is known as a third line grinder. It makes me laugh that we have no problem giving a roster spot to a kid that clearly isn’t ready to be here but we won’t give one of the highest paid players on the team a chance to bounce back and regain his confidence by putting him in the top 6.

Actually it doesn’t make me laugh. It pisses me off.
You're seriously overreacting. Third line ice time and PP time is probably more than Bjugstad deserves. The lineup will change.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
and what did Jamie McGinn do this preseason? A guy who is known as a third line grinder. It makes me laugh that we have no problem giving a roster spot to a kid that clearly isn’t ready to be here but we won’t give one of the highest paid players on the team a chance to bounce back and regain his confidence by putting him in the top 6.

Actually it doesn’t make me laugh. It pisses me off.
Jamie McGinn like Bjugstad, did nothing. Both are depth players. Both are playing on the third line. Both shouldn't be play9ing in the top 6.

Tippet has nothing to do with Bjugstad. He also hasn't earned a roster spot since he can get sent down after 9 games and it's fairly obvious they're keeping him up for developmental reasons.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Uh, McGinn actually did well during the preseason.

He only played one I think, and he did well.

He turned Hedman over that one game that led to McCann scoring.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
McGinn is a fine 3rd liner, I don't really have an issue with him on the 2nd line because we have no one else. Him being on the 2nd line just highlights Florida's bottom 9 problems.

Reactions: I am not exposed

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
Today has finally come!

Here’s to a brand new season full of Barkov hatters and big wins. The boys seem like they’re much more driven to be good this year than last year. Let’s hope tonight shows us something encouraging.

Reactions: Kellyr

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Here’s to a brand new season full of Barkov hatters and big wins.

I'm sensing a 6 point night for Barkov including a hat trick of course.

Pope_Barky.jpg

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
How much better would the lines look with Haley in a tux, Bricks on the 4th, And someone else on the 3rd
Putting Brickley on the 4th line to add scoring is a waste as we have no one to get him the puck. Haley will see plenty of ice time this year as Boughner likes the intimidation factor plus he can forecheck and is not a defensive liability. The negative on Haley is he can't control his temper and can be goaded into taking stupid penalties. Malgin and Tippet will play tomorrow night unless all 4 lines look sensational (which will be next to impossible) as it's back to backs. Who sits will depend on chemistry and play tonight as Boughner will be shuffling the deck until he finds the right combinations. :)

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
Nick had a nice first two years. Nothing world shaking. If you watch him play, you'll see he has serious flaws to his game. He is a below average defensive player, not something you want in your top 6 center, he is not a good passer, he has a low hockey IQ and doesn't use his teammates well. He also doesn't use his best asset, his size and skating ability, to his advantage and plays a soft game. His numbers were good because he played with Huberdeau who can help a lot of players score. Bjugstad has also shown a crappy effort, including this preseason when he's been healthy.

Again, he got outplayed by Trocheck. Nobody thinks Bjugstad is the second best center on this team. It's now up for debate he's the third best. So no, he doesn't deserve top 6 ice time. He can earn it. He also isn't being "mired" on the 3rd line. He'll get lesser competition to play against and PP time. He'll have plenty of ice time to prove himself. And if he's playing RW, he's not better than Vrbata. Depth chart would dictate, Dads and Vrbata are clearly ahead of him.

Lineups will change and if he shows anything like you think he's capable he'll get moved. You know the lineup will change so idk why you're in such a tizzy over a guy who has been an absolute disaster getting ice time on the third line.
I wasn’t saying make him 3C. I was saying a winger over McGinn.

I agree with most of your post though. I think 10 games in Tippett is back down and Bjuggy is at 2RW.

That said, I’m so glad today is here, finally. Unfortunately I have to work during the game but I’ll watch the replay.

See those of you who are going to the arena tomorrow for what is always an awesome night.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Finally a coach that uses Bjugstad on the wing. I hope it continue more than 1 period / game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg