Pre-Game Talk: Game 1: Panthers @ Lightning-Hockey's back Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Both have injury problems, both haven't lived up to their contracts, both got contracts they shouldn't have, both overrated by Tallon, both obviously needed to be moved.

Bjugstad's preseason was pathetic. Hopefully he'll turn it on but his play was embarrassing. But if he was competing for a roster spot, he would have gotten beat out.

Nick has lived up to his contract before last year, what are you talking about. Bolland came here and was already half way to the morgue.

And judging him by his pre-season... come on. Let's just see if he can at least rebound while being healthy before throwing him under the bus.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
He was 14th in p/60 in '16. He's put up worse numbers than Bolland in his last 2 years. It's cool if you think he'll bounceback (even if there's no evidence to suggest this), but call a spade a spade, he's stunk.

Yeah but again, had injury problems that year.

Also he was good in the playoffs which people conveniently forget.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Yeah but again, had injury problems that year.

Also he was good in the playoffs which people conveniently forget.
Nobody forgets it. It was a small sample, if playoff performance mattered in that small sample, Smith would still be here. His regular season play doesn't help us get to the playoffs.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Nick has lived up to his contract before last year, what are you talking about. Bolland came here and was already half way to the morgue.

And judging him by his pre-season... come on. Let's just see if he can at least rebound while being healthy before throwing him under the bus.

You mean, the way you judged Tippett in the pre-season?

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Nobody forgets it. It was a small sample, if playoff performance mattered in that small sample, Smith would still be here. His regular season play doesn't help us get to the playoffs.

People used to debate whether he is better than Barkov, maybe that's the reason why the expectations are out of hand but he's getting paid 4 million. If he can get back to 40 point pace while being defensively adequate, that should be fine.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
You mean, the way you judged Tippett in the pre-season?

Well, considering Tippett has 0 nhl games under his belt it's kind of hard to judge him against pros in any other way.

Plus he's 18, advertised as one dimensional etc. It shouldn't be a major revelation that he's not ready.

Like I think pretty much everyone has agreed here.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I think they will keep it very long under secure who plays. Like someone notes, if some Player like Tippett over some Player who was better during the Camp the Storm is coming. When he allows a Tampa Goal during his Icetime or his opponent Player, better keep him away from every social media, cause then the shithurrican comes into Town.

But if Petro is the Looser and doesn´t get a spot in the opening Night i dont mind. *sarcasm On" I can pass on some real Heavy Weight Enforcer like Petrovic is now known. *sarcasm OFF* Petro better show he has something what other once dont have. Cause if we realy search for an 850k Enforcer we have Brown.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Petro is out and the 3rd pairing will Weegar/McCoshen.
wow, thats awesome! i would take weegar fulltime over petrovic absolutely, but i didnt think management/coaching staff would actually do that. granted its only this 1 game but it shows theyre willing to play him over petro and shows they also have confidence in weegar, which they should. petrovic imo suffers from the same thing that gudbranson did and is too one dimensional. weegar has good size, can throw a big hit when he wants, great awareness, hands, skating, can move the puck, can jump in offensively. a true 2-way d. i like having petrovic's size and physicality, but mccoshen will also help in that aspect.

edit: nvm...

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Toronto's really good. For Florida to have hope Ottawa and Boston would both have to regress (very possible). Just don't think the bottom 9 is even close to average enough to get it done. The 4 spot is a crapshoot though (I'm not even sure 4 atlantic teams make it)

Reactions: I am not exposed

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
wow, thats awesome! i would take weegar fulltime over petrovic absolutely, but i didnt think management/coaching staff would actually do that. granted its only this 1 game but it shows theyre willing to play him over petro and shows they also have confidence in weegar, which they should. petrovic imo suffers from the same thing that gudbranson did and is too one dimensional. weegar has good size, can throw a big hit when he wants, great awareness, hands, skating, can move the puck, can jump in offensively. a true 2-way d. i like having petrovic's size and physicality, but mccoshen will also help in that aspect.

edit: nvm...
Sorry FF, I misinterpreted the article from the Cats. Lineup is still open at this point and likely won't have a clue until the morning skate. I'd expect whoever doesn't play Friday to have a shot at getting into the lineup on Saturday unless they play so well that Boughner doesn't want to mess with success. :(

I'd go ahead and request a deletion.

Reactions: FrolikFan67

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I'm reading the opening night roster correctly, Petro is out and the 3rd pairing will Weegar/McCoshen
If I'm reading the opening night roster correctly, Petro is out and the 3rd pairing will Weegar/McCoshen. Smart move against an up tempo/fast team without any real enforcer. Boughner is still playing Haley just in case the cheap shots start happening like the one that put Ek on the shelf for the remainder of the season last year.

Obviously Boughner will work many different combos in the first five or ten games depending on the opponent and how people are playing. Should be interesting as long as we can maintain 500 up thru the first 20 games. Anything above that is gravy. :)
Toronto's really good. For Florida to have hope Ottawa and Boston would both have to regress (very possible). Just don't think the bottom 9 is even close to average enough to get it done. The 4 spot is a crapshoot though (I'm not even sure 4 atlantic teams make it)

I think Ottawa does regress. I rate their coach, but it won't be enough for playoffs.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
Think people are upset about protecting a slumping 3rd line center over keeping Marchy and Smith. I can see that argument. I do still have hopes for Nick to rebound this year, he was pretty good initially (weren’t we going crazy in this board calling him Buggernaut). If he does, that will elevate that 3rd line significantly. Being honest with myself now, haven’t seen anything to indicate that in the few preseason games he played.
Exactly. And if we were going to protect him and his horrible contract, we should at least give him a shot to boost his confidence and his stock by skating with Trocheck. Especially considering the guy we have playing there over him is Jamie McGinn.

Last edited:

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
Both have injury problems, both haven't lived up to their contracts, both got contracts they shouldn't have, both overrated by Tallon, both obviously needed to be moved.

Bjugstad's preseason was pathetic. Hopefully he'll turn it on but his play was embarrassing. But if he was competing for a roster spot, he would have gotten beat out.
The only reason Nick hasn’t lived up to anything is cuz he’s spent a lot of the time hurt. I think he should be given a chance to prove he belongs. I mean he had a damn good 2 first seasons. Again, he should definitely be skating with Trocheck and Vrby over McGinn. He was a near 50 point man as a second year player skating with Huby in 2014.

It pisses me off that we’d protect him over our leading scorer with the contract he has and then mire him on a 3rd line wing. If you are gonna stay committed to him, cool. But show you are still committed to him by giving him a chance to succeed.

Not only is putting him in the bottom six detrimental to his confidence it’s extremely detrimental to any hope to boost his trade value. I feel we will be stuck with this contract for a long time.

Last edited:

Benched

Jan 2, 2007

and what did Jamie McGinn do this preseason? A guy who is known as a third line grinder. It makes me laugh that we have no problem giving a roster spot to a kid that clearly isn’t ready to be here but we won’t give one of the highest paid players on the team a chance to bounce back and regain his confidence by putting him in the top 6.

Actually it doesn’t make me laugh. It pisses me off.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
Not really. An injury riddled player who is not worth his contract and going to be very difficult to trade. He's still here because he's one of Tallon's guy. Pretty similar, actually.
Comparing Bjugy to Bolland is asinine. Bolland brought absolutely nothing and looked lost on the ice. Bjuggy has proved he has good instincts and good hands. He’s never developed the ability to use his size to protect the puck but his reach may mean he doesn’t have to.

Bjuggy indeed has talent but he’s the kind of player who will only be as good as his linemates. That’s another reason why he should be given the chance to skate with Tro and Vrby. If he skates there, my bet is that he slowly but surely becomes a 40+ point threat again.

Gimmie a reason why we shouldn’t try it, as long as we are going with someone like McGinn over him. I’m waiting.

Depch

Aug 27, 2006
Delete account
Having McGinn over Bjugstad for the 2nd line LW spot is well within reason. Below are their statistics from the past two seasons:

McGinn:
15-16 84gp 22g+17a = 39p
16-17 72gp 9g+8a = 17p

Bjugstad:
15-16 67gp 15g+19a = 34p
16-17 54gp 7g+7a = 14p

They're relatively close in production. McGinn might compliment the second line better with his kit & style of play than Bjugstad. If it doesn't work they can always change it.

I also hope Bjugstad gets his chance to prove himself and believe he can do it from the 3rd line as well if it is meant so. He was once touted to be a driving force of higher lines so he should have it within himself to not depend on anyone else. It's up to him to get it done and prove it. I'm sure he doesn't want to be a victim either. It's a tough decision to make to put him to the best position to succeed vs putting up the best lines you can come up in your mind for a specific game (there is already case Tippett for that). What you can read between the lines from the Petro blog post is that the coaching staff has the ability to read beyond the points provided. Good plays will see Bjugstad get rewarded.

Last edited:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
-We don't have the money to buy him out
-The current GM who will be here for the foreseeable future will not move him
We have the $$$ to buy him out if he continues to face plant.

After this season, Nick is scheduled to make $4.3M, $5M, and $5.25M in the final years on his contract. Total, that is close to $14.5M. That is an untradeable contract IMO unless he produces big time this season. Buyout cost would be $4.8M over 6 years with little hit the first 3 years to our Cap and $800K in each of the last 3 years. Saving $10M over the last 3 years of his contract is a no brainer. I think he is a goner unless he produces.

Nick is engaged to be married I read. After this season is completed, he will have grossed close to $12M in salary. If he doesn't produce this season you can add to that his buyout of $4.8M and he's cost the Cats close to $17M on his contracts. He will certainly receive "show me" offers after the buyout and can likely stick around the league for quite a few more years at a lower salary. Don't feel sorry for Nick, he is set for life. :)

Last edited:

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
Having McGinn over Bjugstad for the 2nd line LW spot is well within reason. Below are their statistics from the past two seasons:

McGinn:
15-16 84gp 22g+17a = 39p
16-17 72gp 9g+8a = 17p

Bjugstad:
15-16 67gp 15g+19a = 34p
16-17 54gp 7g+7a = 14p

They're relatively close in production. McGinn might compliment the second line better with his kit & style of play than Bjugstad. If it doesn't work they can always change it.

I also hope Bjugstad gets his chance to prove himself and believe he can do it from the 3rd line as well if it is meant so. He was once touted to be a driving force of higher lines so he should have it within himself to not depend on anyone else. It's up to him to get it done and prove it. I'm sure he doesn't want to be a victim either. It's a tough decision to make to put him to the best position to succeed vs putting up the best lines you can come up in your mind for a specific game (there is already case Tippett for that). What you can read between the lines from the Petro blog post is that the coaching staff has the ability to read beyond the points provided. Good plays will see Bjugstad get rewarded.
Difference there is McGinn played the whole season last year and Bjuggy played 54 and was probably playing hurt for a bit of those. Bjugstad is definitely the potentially better player than McGinn. He also has a much bigger contract. He deserves that spot if for nothing else than to play himself up before the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad