GDT: Game 1 | Ottawa @ Montreal | 7:00pm, Wed April 15 | CBC | This time, it's personal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Ottawa has one of the best scoring chance plus minuses in the league under Cameron. Hammond no doubt as been superb but ottawa's offense has been just as deadly.

The forth line has the luxury of having 27 goal scorer Mike hoffman on it. Legwand and Chiasson both put up 3rd line numbers for this season.

We are already pretty damn big on the right side with 6'4 chiasson, 6'3 Ryan and 6'2 Stone. Lazar is the choice to come out but hes been one of ottawa's most physical forwards. I see zero advantage to putting Neil in until the series starts gets rough.

Cameron has played to this team's strengths. Sadly Neil and Phillips cant keep up with what the rest of the team.

Condra-Pageau-Lazar is like my favourite old line of Eaves-McAmmond-Saprykin.

Taking Lazar out and putting Neil in there would be like taking Pageau out and putting Zibby in... but worse.

Berserker*

The rationale for this is our last 30 games.

If that is the case then it is a relatively poor rationale. There are very apparent flaws in the way the team plays and in particular the performance of the 4th line. Like I mentioned in my previous post, they have relied to heavily on the performance of Hammond, Stone, Turris, Karlsson and Pageau. This will likely be exposed in the playoffs if they fail to make adjustments. Aside from that, I see some people think that Smith should get scratched as well as Neil. I really don't see the rationale behind trying to play a speed versus speed game withe the Habs. That is their strength and if we go that route it will likely be our downfall. The Habs have a few solid physical players of their own in Prust, Smith Pelley and Weise so removing both Smith and Neil would potentially give them an advantage in the physicality department.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
CBC... alright. that was my only question.
ive seen many Sens fans in Montreal today.
lets do this Ottawa!

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
If that is the case then it is a relatively poor rationale. There are very apparent flaws in the way the team plays and in particular the performance of the 4th line. Like I mentioned in my previous post, they have relied to heavily on the performance of Hammond, Stone, Turris, Karlsson and Pageau. This will likely be exposed in the playoffs if they fail to make adjustments. Aside from that, I see some people think that Smith should get scratched as well as Neil. I really don't see the rationale behind trying to play a speed versus speed game withe the Habs. That is their strength and if we go that route it will likely be our downfall. The Habs have a few solid physical players of their own in Prust, Smith Pelley and Weise so removing both Smith and Neil would potentially give them an advantage in the physicality department.

Who would you take out for Neil?

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

Nice try, Paul. :shakehead

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

We still have Gryba, Methot and Boro on the backend and the right side as i mention 6'4, 6'3 and 6'2. Thats pretty big.

Berserker*

Ottawa has one of the best scoring chance plus minuses in the league under Cameron. Hammond no doubt as been superb but ottawa's offense has been just as deadly.

The forth line has the luxury of having 27 goal scorer Mike hoffman on it. Legwand and Chiasson both put up 3rd line numbers for this season.

We are already pretty damn big on the right side with 6'4 chiasson, 6'3 Ryan and 6'2 Stone. Lazar is the choice to come out but hes been one of ottawa's most physical forwards. I see zero advantage to putting Neil in until the series starts gets rough.

Cameron has played to this team's strengths. Sadly Neil and Phillips cant keep up with what the rest of the team.

Why would Lazar be the choice to come out of the lineup?

If anything one of the 4th liners such as Hoffman, Legwand or Chiasson would be at risk of getting scratched.

Also, how is it that you see zero advantage to inserting Neil into the lineup until the series gets rough? It appears as if there are a large number of fans who don't seem to accept the fact that having a more physical team can actually be a strength and used to one's advantage in the playoffs. If you have the opportunity to improve the competitiveness of your roster through increasing it's physicality while having a marginal effect on its offense if any, would you do it?

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
I'm almost tempted to read through the archives to see if LA was thought of this way in 2012 after changing coaches and going on a tear the second half of the year. Were Vancouver fans this adamant that LA was emotionally and physically spent? All I've read on the main board is that we are out of juice look

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

If anything one of the 4th liners such as Hoffman, Legwand or Chiasson would be at risk of getting scratched.

Also, how is it that you see zero advantage to inserting Neil into the lineup until the series gets rough? It appears as if there are a large number of fans who don't seem to accept the fact that having a more physical team can actually be a strength and used to one's advantage in the playoffs. If you have the opportunity to improve the competitiveness of your roster through increasing it's physicality while having a marginal effect on its offense if any, would you do it?

Hoffman provides much needed offence to that line. Legwand is a centre. Chiasson is the most physical of the 3 and is a much better player than Neil minus the physical stuff.

Don't think it would be wise to add a physical presence when it means an increase in time in the defensive zone

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary

Mostly because winning hockey games requires you to score more goals than the other team.

Every single player in the lineup helps the Sens do that better than the old washed up Senators players called Chris Neil and Chris Phillips.

It's not a coincidence that the team has a way better record with those two out of the lineup than in the lineup.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Hoffman provides much needed offence to that line. Legwand is a centre. Chiasson is the most physical of the 3 and is a much better player than Neil minus the physical stuff.

Don't think it would be wise to add a physical presence at the cost an increase in defensive zone time.

A twist to the lines I'd be curious to see.
Zibby centering Michalek and Hoffman, and Legwand with Ryan and Neil.

The second line though, could never be played with Gryba and Boro on the ice.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'd be OK putting Neil into the lineup later in the series in case we need a pick-me-up or feel we need to change the tone of the series, but for now we need to go with what got us here.

Berserker*

Who would you take out for Neil?

I would most likely be deciding between Legwand and Chiasson. We have enough players that are playing centre that we could possibly take someone like Legwand out but then we could still use his faceoffs so I likely would take Chiasson out. Chiasson has a lot of hustle but he isn't a very effective hitter and while he gets lots of scoring chances he can't bury any of them.

Since watching that last stretch of games, there were a number of them where we really could have used a player to create some energy and momentum. Neil has done a great job in that role in the past and has been one of the only players over the last decade to where a Sens jersey to have such a good understanding of the pulse of this team and know when and how to get the guys going. He has also been a wrecking ball in the playoffs in the past and has scored key goals.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Legwand is our only left handed C (Smith does not count) He's not leaving the line up

If Neil comes in it will be for Chiasson and Chiasson has much more offensive upside. No need for Neil in Game 1

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I would most likely be deciding between Legwand and Chiasson. We have enough players that are playing centre that we could possibly take someone like Legwand out but then we could still use his faceoffs so I likely would take Chiasson out. Chiasson has a lot of hustle but he isn't a very effective hitter and while he gets lots of scoring chances he can't bury any of them.

Since watching that last stretch of games, there were a number of them where we really could have used a player to create some energy and momentum. Neil has done a great job in that role in the past and has been one of the only players over the last decade to where a Sens jersey to have such a good understanding of the pulse of this team and know when and how to get the guys going. He has also been a wrecking ball in the playoffs in the past and has scored key goals.

Neil is also notoriously prone to taking pretty dumb penalties which nullifies any type of momentum, as is Chiasson. Chiasson despite not having great hands is involved in quite a big of pretty good scoring chances.

The more shots peppered at price the better IMO. Like another poster had mentioned we have quite a few guys who can play physical. My biggest concern would be trying to get pucks through Price.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Hammond's Wednesday game stats:

3-0-0, 1.0 GAA, .971 SV% (1 shut-out)

He's never lost on a Wednesday.. let that sink in for a second.

Price's Wednesday stats for comparison:

2-2-0, 2.29 GAA, .918 SV% (0 shut-outs)

Add in how stellar his away games are, and I don't know how any reasonable person can come to the conclusion that the Canadiens will win tomorrow.

what's his record for tomorrow weather?
7°C
Feels like 5
P.O.P: 0%
Wind N 10 km/h
Wind gust -
Humidity 39%

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
i kind of like the idea of keeping neil out until we need the extra spark he should provide. If it goes as planned tomorrow maybe keep it together. if after 2 games it looks like a change is needed, it will be awesome to have neil to throw in there. I think after this time sitting out and being the kind of guy he is he has potential to change momentum. keep him locked and loaded. He'll be super fired up.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Ridiculous that there is even a PLAYOFF GDT for the Sens this year. Bloody miracle and marvelous. Gotta Believe.

I try to remind myself regularly that we're just lucky to be able to watch our team in the playoffs this year. I was not counting on any of this at all and I'm just enjoying the excitement that goes along with it.

I'm almost tempted to read through the archives to see if LA was thought of this way in 2012 after changing coaches and going on a tear the second half of the year. Were Vancouver fans this adamant that LA was emotionally and physically spent? All I've read on the main board is that we are out of juice look

It's the main reason to believe their team has the upper hand. Remove that argument and it's clear that this series will be very tightly contested. They have the better goaltender, but have the momentum with plenty of gas left in the tank judging from our last five games.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
i kind of like the idea of keeping neil out until we need the extra spark he should provide. If it goes as planned tomorrow maybe keep it together. if after 2 games it looks like a change is needed, it will be awesome to have neil to throw in there. I think after this time sitting out and being the kind of guy he is he has potential to change momentum. keep him locked and loaded. He'll be super fired up.

Exactly. Neil is our wildcard. If we need a boost, he's ready to go. No need to use him now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad