GDT: Game 1: New York Rangers @ Phoenix Coyotes 10-3-13 | 7PM MST

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Saturday is going to be a much stiffer test. Sj plays such a different game than the Rags. I'm sure we'll be ready, though.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I couldn't help but notice during Coyotes Live with Jodi Jackson outside the arena some Female Rangers Fan holding a sign "Welcome to MSG West." Idiot! It wasn't even close to having more Rangers Fans than Coyotes Fans at the game. :laugh:

Definitely not, the ratio was quite good actually. Better than I expected.

Verizon is so horribly unusable tonight I'm legitimately thinking of switching wireless carriers for better reception at the arena.

T-Mobile was dreck too.

Like the more aggressive PK, but the defense left Smitty out to dry a few times in the 1st. Gotta tighten that stuff up in the 2nd.

I LOVE the new more aggressive well, everything. Guys like Brown, Klinkhammer, and Lessio were bringing it on the forecheck. Much needed injection of energy compared to last season.

Those 3 goals by Vrbata were great, 2 incredibly opportunistic ones and a PP goal is always nice. Had 2 other legit scoring chances on redirections in the 2nd as well. His stick work is top tier.

Boedker had some tough puck luck but was good, especially in the first.

Even the players that didn't stand out looked pretty solid.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
I couldn't help but notice during Coyotes Live with Jodi Jackson outside the arena some Female Rangers Fan holding a sign "Welcome to MSG West." Idiot! It wasn't even close to having more Rangers Fans than Coyotes Fans at the game. :laugh:

There was a guy in a Rangers shirt sitting to the right of my wife. He stood up and clapped once. Everyone else near us was cheering the Yotes. I was surprised when I got upstairs and looked at the printed ticket that my seats are in 207, not 208. I coulda swore I moved from Row E in 208 to row A in 208, but I went down stairs & checked with the reps by gate 5 before the game, and confirmed I'm in 207 this season. Oh well still a decent view.

I noticed when I got a Dr Pepper at the first intermission that they were only taking cash, not credit. Hope that's a software issue and not a sign of cash flow issues lol

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I noticed when I got a Dr Pepper at the first intermission that they were only taking cash, not credit. Hope that's a software issue and not a sign of cash flow issues lol

They told me it was down, so I assume cards will be back.

Also the 50/50 kiosk had huge issues too.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
Definitely not, the ratio was quite good actually. Better than I expected.

T-Mobile was dreck too.

Really? My T-Mobile worked better tonight than it did all last year. Full internet. Unless it was using the Wi-Fi and that's why it worked. I honestly don't even pay attention when it switches, but I was checking email and my yahoo fantasy stuff during the intermissions and it worked fine... I'll tell you where it doesn't work good for me is the Cards stadium...it's dreck for me there.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
Hmm I got a beer before the 3rd and cards worked by 110. Also, classy reaction by both NY fans and home fans to cheer the new ownership group. Got me all hyped up.

Ran into a cashier I hate from dbacks games but glad she has a job.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Haha

@cmorganfoxaz: #Coyotes goalie Mike Smith on lying under the net for a while after it fell on him "I was saying hi to the camera."

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Glad I was able to be there. During the 3rd PK I was getting upset that we didn't have a shot on goal from our PK unit. Got spoiled on the first 2. Great to see Vrby get the hattie. Hope he wears that sombrero that went out on the ice. Fun game.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Just back. Maybe we took advantage of a Rangers team that wasn't ready, but winning so many races to the puck and corner battles was impressive. Even when it wasn't scoring, the power play looked great, with a lot of space. I'm just not sure I want to see this team play such a wide open style on a regular basis. Really impressed with the bottom two lines tonight.

One guy I'm really nervous about is Rundblad. Yes, the offensive talent is there, but he made all sorts of mistakes in his own end. I wonder if we might see more of Stone in the road trip.

Non-playoff game, and there was even a goalie-taunting chant, which was great.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
Just back. Maybe we took advantage of a Rangers team that wasn't ready, but winning so many races to the puck and corner battles was impressive. Even when it wasn't scoring, the power play looked great, with a lot of space. I'm just not sure I want to see this team play such a wide open style on a regular basis. Really impressed with the bottom two lines tonight.

One guy I'm really nervous about is Rundblad. Yes, the offensive talent is there, but he made all sorts of mistakes in his own end. I wonder if we might see more of Stone in the road trip.

Non-playoff game, and there was even a goalie-taunting chant, which was great.[/QUOTE]

I know, I just noticed... I'm hoarse! I don't think I've ever come home from the first game of the season hoarse before...

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Getting out of lot Y wasn't as bad as I thought. I made it from my seat in the arena to a grocery store by my house in 53 minutes. Last season it was was more like 35 with the Stadium Northeast lot and living about 4 miles closer.

Not too bad of a difference really.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Also, to further add to it, considering which player I pay the most attention to..

David Rundblad on the attacking side of the red line: :yo::nod::handclap:

David Rundblad on his own side of the red line: :shakehead::help::facepalm:

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Seriously, this kid has potential and talent to be an OEL or a Yandle or even, daresay, a Lidstrom, if he can get his act together in the defensive zone.

By the time I started watching the Yotes again, Yandle had already matured. But from everything I've read here, Yandle was at one time as bad in his own zone as Rundbland, so maybe it will come with experience. He is noticeably better than when he came here after the Turris trade, the AHL has done him some good. And he will never be a rock defensively, I mean how many times do we shake our heads when Yandle does one of his gaffes. Comes with the territory of offensive defenseman, haha.

Redcoyote

Hungry
Mar 21, 2009
Great win. We are back to playing Coyotes hockey. The Rangers didn't have any kind of sustained pressure in our zone. They were one and done all night.

It amazes me how underrated Vrbata is on this team. He is our only legit threat at scoring 30 goals yet he takes a back seat to Doan, Boedker, OEL, Yandle, Smith.

It was good to see Smith not give up any soft goals. He did his job.

The defense looks solid. How do you get everyone enough ice time?

Nobody played more than 22 minutes. We were able to role lines and didn't have to over work anyone.

I think outside of Vrbata and the PP we are going to see pretty spread out scoring from our 4 lines. Im feeling good about this year.

HerrDonut

May 30, 2013
Arizona
^ Caps had one.

The cheer and applause for the announcement of Vrby's hat-trick was louder than anything else I can remember ever hearing from a Yotes crowd. I thought it was even louder than the applause for Doan and ownership in pre-game. Love it. Listed as a sellout, but there was a sizable chunk of empty seats... great sound, regardless.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
By the time I started watching the Yotes again, Yandle had already matured. But from everything I've read here, Yandle was at one time as bad in his own zone as Rundbland, so maybe it will come with experience. He is noticeably better than when he came here after the Turris trade, the AHL has done him some good. And he will never be a rock defensively, I mean how many times do we shake our heads when Yandle does one of his gaffes. Comes with the territory of offensive defenseman, haha.

My nickname for him all night was "New Swedish Yandle(tm)"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad