GDT: Game 1: New York Rangers @ Phoenix Coyotes 10-3-13 | 7PM MST

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Just got home about 20 minutes ago. I was in Lot X and there is only one exit which is a big flaw.

I think this is the best Coyotes game I ever been to. Combined with the owners being there, the Vrbata hat trick, the awesome puck movement by the team, and the win... it was perfect. Oh I guess I could mention Smith playing like his 2011-2012 season self.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Got to witness a Vrbata hat trick in the last two games I've attended. Last year in Anaheim, and tonight!

Same here buddy. :yo:

And neither time I wore my home Vrbata jersey, which I usually wear around 80% of the time. :laugh:

That's awesome. What are the odds.

Speaking of road trips. I think I might make a trip down to Colorado this year to watch the boys play. Would be cool if anyone else wanted to join. I know it's a long shot but still.

Phoenician

Jul 3, 2013
Phoenix
Awesome

Saw my first Hat Trick! In addition, the Yotes puck movement was amazing tonight - clearly an improvement from last year. Smith looked awesome!

I am a STH in section 224 anyone near me? Oh, Vendors still suck :)

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Vrbata named the 3rd star of the night by NHL. :facepalm:

Fluery got 2nd because of his shutout and Ovi got 1st with 2 goals and an assist.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
That was so goddamned gratifying. Just cathartic. I feel like **** stomping and completely dominating a big traditional market like the New York Rangers was just such a release. The circumstances really made it special.

Martin Hanzal is so amazing. He's just ****ing impossible to play against.

Korpikoski was so good defensively. PK monster. Love the extra weight and power.

Rundblad is looking like the real thing. He has carried over the preseason performance and had my jaw dropped. He looks like those SEL highlight videos on youtube.

A little disappointed that Moss got double shifted in Brown's spot half the night. Brown was really smart and pesky with the stick. He clogs up lanes and breaks up passes well. Underrated defensive forward.

JT Miller looks like crap. The most overwhelmed of an overwhelmed team. They should send him down. I was embarrassed for him.

Benoit Pouliot looked really good though. Like he cares.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
That was so goddamned gratifying. Just cathartic. I feel like **** stomping and completely dominating a big traditional market like the New York Rangers was just such a release. The circumstances really made it special.

Martin Hanzal is so amazing. He's just ****ing impossible to play against.

Korpikoski was so good defensively. PK monster. Love the extra weight and power.

Rundblad is looking like the real thing. He has carried over the preseason performance and had my jaw dropped. He looks like those SEL highlight videos on youtube.

A little disappointed that Moss got double shifted in Brown's spot half the night. Brown was really smart and pesky with the stick. He clogs up lanes and breaks up passes well. Underrated defensive forward.

JT Miller looks like crap. The most overwhelmed of an overwhelmed team. They should send him down. I was embarrassed for him.

Benoit Pouliot looked really good though. Like he cares.
I thought Korpi deserved the 3rd star tonight. He was all over the ice especially the first period (made up for Yandle :))

Also 3-4 passes Ribero made in the 2nd period were sick.

Great emotion in the arena......great night!

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

Tippett may have a different angel. Perhaps after some video review he will feel the same cause I have to agree with you.

Other notes,
The Yotes looked generally "fun" to watch in a more traditional way.

The PP looked proficient. Which leads to Rundblad. I hope he sticks. He is a high risk high reward player, if we have three Dmen on the bench why not use him for matchups. Weak PK team, put in; #2.

I know its one game, but this team looked speedy, tough and threatening. I didn't see them having to be gritty to win the entire game. Hopefully this isn't cause Vrby went off, but I did feel the whole team looked like a well cogged top 10 team and Vrby benefited.

Oh yeah, Smith looked great.

Blubba Jenkins

Not that Insightful
May 30, 2008
NE Florida
Hell of a game. I agree about Brown, I didn't notice anything to suggest why he got benched. rt's been right about him being a poor fighter, that could have gone a lot worse.

I thought Lessio was alright, he definitely had first-game jitters. Really liked his hustle, he won a couple of races which helped us sustain offensive pressure.

Before tonight, I would have been totally okay if our power play didn't convert a whole bunch, but at least built momentum instead of completely draining it, which is how it's been for way too long here. I was more than happy tonight. Too bad Yandle and OEL are both lefties.

Hanzal gets knocked sometimes for not being super offensive oriented, but he does make a hell of a screen.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I meant to PM you, CC96, but my phone was basically useless at the game.

Ugh, my Verizon service was brutal at the arena too.

That's awesome. What are the odds.

Speaking of road trips. I think I might make a trip down to Colorado this year to watch the boys play. Would be cool if anyone else wanted to join. I know it's a long shot but still.

Wish I had the cash for something like that, but college has made me poor. :(

Ben Matlock

Resteriged Uesr
Aug 21, 2007
Congratulations on your awesome opening night. Was it max attendance?

I always root for the Desert Underdogs when my favorite team is not involved, and I hope you can repeat what you did two years ago.

(and thanks for crushing the Rags)

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona

I always root for the Desert Underdogs when my favorite team is not involved, and I hope you can repeat what you did two years ago.

Yes, it was announced as a sellout.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Just got home from work and watched the highlights. **** yeah Vrby, that's how you start a season.

Thor Savage

Oct 3, 2006
Arizona
Haven't read all the threads but . . . . .

. . . . a guy who has not been mentioned but stood out to me was Vermette. I thought he looked pretty good and I was happy to see him get rewarded with an assist on one of Vrbata's goals. The hat trick was fun to see, a first for my 10 year old son.

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.

Well played game by the hometown boys! Ulfie was directing the opposing blue line and had to have been embarrassed by the four goals. NYR looked slow and lethargic, but then again, that is a consequence of playing in the Eastern Conference. Clearly the West is the stronger of the two. When Nash has nobody to play with he has to do it on his own!

The crowd was announced as a SO, but there were many empty seats that i saw, not sure where those folks were?

Well done Yotes!

87turbobuick

Jan 13, 2011
Phoenix
Good opening win. 89 had the most ice time of the forwards but for the most part he looked invisible.
Goalie needs to stay in his net or at least let the dmen shoot the puck.

Rangers are in for a long season, 9 games on the road to start will sink them.

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
Good opening win. 89 had the most ice time of the forwards but for the most part he looked invisible.
Goalie needs to stay in his net or at least let the dmen shoot the puck.

Rangers are in for a long season, 9 games on the road to start will sink them.

Rangers are not a good squad, just what the big apple deserves. Throw them in the same heap that the Giants are in! lousy

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
The crowd was announced as a SO, but there were many empty seats that i saw, not sure where those folks were?

Before I left to go the game around 4:30 there were about 60 tickets in the upper deck and about 700 in the lower deck still on Ticketmaster. There were also about 400 unsold seats on Stubhub but those still count in attendance as they were paid for.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
My game 1 observations. Michalek was very good all around. I liked the way Rundblad both carried and moved the puck. He played with a ton of confidence and that's a major feat for a young D... Hanzal was the best player on the ice with his all around game and the fight just capped off the night. Tons of leadership. I thought Korpikoski played well in a supporting role but we'll have to see where that is in a month or so. Ribiero showed what he's going to provide this team. He created space for Doan and vice versa. The behind the back pass that led to a Rangers scoring chance is just the things you have to live with having a player like him on the team. Like to see Boedker be a bit more assertive.

All in all, they moved the puck real well, especially out of their own end. That's so important. Further they were really strong on the puck. From Brown to Doan. They do that, they'll win games.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
For all you fans of "Animal Farm": Two Czech's good. Three Czech's better?

Tenacious work by all the boys tonight - welled played. We'll see how it goes from here, obviously with continued effort of such magnitude we're a contender, but let us not get ahead of ourselves here after one.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I thought Korpi deserved the 3rd star tonight. He was all over the ice especially the first period (made up for Yandle :))

Also 3-4 passes Ribero made in the 2nd period were sick.

Great emotion in the arena......great night!

If I'm not mistaken the three stars were:

Vrbata
Smith
Oel?

I'd have DEFINITELY gone:

Vrbata
Smith
Hanzal

Marty was an ABSOLUTE BEAST.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
The sombrero trick for Vrby.

722700.jpg

From azcentral.

I like that we have ice girls and the rest of the crew wearing the white jerseys. A better look than the dark windbreakers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad