Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
ric-flair-strut.gif
Destination Space Mountain...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I know these lines aren't official but my god. Someone airlift Soderberg out of there. At least give him Compher.

That bottom 6 is going to be ugly any way you slice it; they should at least try to quarantine the ugliest parts of it on the fourth line.

Reactions: Murzu and MarkT

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Some thoughts, looking back at our line-ups last year for Game 1.

2017: Andrighetto - MacKinnon - Rantanen
2018: Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
While Andrighetto wasn't terrible, this line became a true powerhouse when Landeskog replaced him. The only problem with this line is that having MacK and Rants in the same line leaves the 2nd line feeling empty. But when these guys can win games by themselves, can you really justify breaking them up? I don't think you can. It's something you'd only consider if the line doesn't seem to work anymore.

2017: Kerfoot - Duchene - Yakupov
2018: Kerfoot - Jost - Wilson
Duchene elevated both his teammates. Many of us wanted the Avs to acquire an established player for our 2nd line, like Stastny or Stone. We got no-one and will have to hope that Jost and Kerfoot continue to get better and Wilson does his best. I was impressed by Kerfoot in the pre-season games, so at least that brings me some hope.

2017: Landeskog - Compher - Wilson
2018: Nieto - Söderberg - Bourque
From what I remember this line didn't work at all even defensively. Not even with Söderberg when he was added later on. Landeskog was wasted until his promotion to the top line. Söderberg's redemption arc hadn't begun yet at this point last year. The year before that, he seemed to have attitude issues and was seen by many as baggage we couldn't get rid of. But when he got chances, he made use of them and established himself as a top defensive line C. Everyone loves a good comeback story. Let's hope that someone can fill the hole that Comeau left and slot in nicely with Nieto and Söderberg.

2017: Nieto - Jost - Comeau
2018: Calvert - Compher - Dries
Jost did not have a great start to his season last year. He just wasn't ready. But in the end it might have worked out best, because he got better as the season went on, and you never know what would have happened if he only got AHL minutes. Makes me wonder if playing on the 4th line in the NHL would help Greer too. Anyway, this line seems like a good hard-working line, but being unfamiliar with two of the three guys, it's hard for me to say if they'll be good enough defensively.

2017: Barberio - Johnson
2018: Girard - Johnson
I like Barberio, I really do. But there's no comparison to Girard. What a great talent. I could not believe it when he played his first games for us. He did slow down a bit, perhaps due to fatigue, but with reduced ice time he managed to get out of his slump. Is he ready to play 1st pairing minutes this year?

2017: Nemeth - Barrie
2018: Zadorov - Barrie
This time last year, Zadorov did not make the team, and deservedly so. But like Söderberg, he managed to redeem himself in time and became an important player for us. While some think he already is top four material, I still think he needs to take another step to be that guy. Particularly he seems to make some dumb defensive decisions sometimes. I've said this before and I'll say it again, I do hope he gets some PP time, because his shot is better than Girard's or Barrie's. At one point last year Zadorov and Barrie was the top pairing and they were great. Let's hope for that magic to continue.

2017: Bigras - Mironov
2018: Barberio - Cole
Neither Bigras nor Mironov were NHL players, and might never be. I'm infinitely more comfortable with Barberio and Cole. Having Nemeth outside the (unofficial) line-ups speaks volume of our D depth. Nemeth was great last year. Maybe not quite top-4 material, but he did a serviceable job there and I don't expect him to sit on the bench much. We also have a bunch of promising D prospects that might play some games this year: Makar, Timmins, Meloche, and even Graves judging by pre-season games.

2017: Varlamov, Bernier
2018: Varlamov, Grubauer
Bernier turned out to be much better than we expected. Sadly he had concussion issues and it was probably the right decision to move on from him. If Grubauer can be as good as Bernier was, I'll consider that a successful season for him. If he's even better, then perhaps he'll be our 1G next year and this'll be the end of the Varlamov era in Avs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad