Post-Game Talk: Game 1, Leafs lose 4-3 .. Come up short in the shootout

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Of the new players Leo has had the biggest impact and Winnik has been himself and noticeable.

Santo has been okay, while Kontiola and Booth have done very little and Frattin has been average.

Based on the games so far Holland looks like he is winning the battle for a roster spot.

Wee Willie has been the most exciting new addition to watch.

The Leafs in Ottawa last night.
Holland,Winnik,Rielly,Carrick were the best players.

Booth,Frattin,Abbott,Ashton all can't finish.
Of the above, Ashton is the best defensively. He dogs the puck, forces turnovers and was great with Winnik on the PK that featured the Turris/Ryan line. He also led the team with 4 shots on goal. Strange. If he could finish once in a while, he has the others beat.
I would not lose 23 year old Ashton (at this point) in favor of Booth or Kontiola.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
i believe everyone looked slow and sluggish because of the tight schedule and the conditioning isn't there yet.

while i missed the game, granberg maybe slower, but if he's gassed, he's going to look extra bad.

tired players often fall back into bad habits, so i'm not surprised about kadri.

the main disappointment has been gibson; i had him ahead of sparks last year. although i believe i did call bibeau the best goalie in the system.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The Leafs in Ottawa last night.
Holland,Winnik,Rielly,Carrick were the best players.

Booth,Frattin,Abbott,Ashton all can't finish.
Of the above, Ashton is the best defensively. He dogs the puck, forces turnovers and was great with Winnik on the PK that featured the Turris/Ryan line. He also led the team with 4 shots on goal. Strange. If he could finish once in a while, he has the others beat.
I would not lose 23 year old Ashton (at this point) in favor of Booth or Kontiola.

It is looking like the Leafs might be able to put together a 4th. line that can do more than fight.

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
To put this game in perspective, Reilly, Winnik and the Marlies were a goal post away from tying the game 3-3 against what was essentially a NHL caliber lineup, complete with their NHL starter playing the whole game.

Point is it's preseason. The young guys have more to fight for. Many vets take it easy, especially this early in preseason mostly to avoid injury. Also, unlike the Sens, it appeared that Randy Carlyle was experimenting more with his lineup. It was most definitely apparent during the Shootout selecting the youngsters (Santorelli excluded) over the vets like JVR.

The Sens on the other hand opted for the win by going with NHLers.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
To put this game in perspective, Reilly, Winnik and the Marlies were a goal post away from tying the game 3-3 against what was essentially a NHL caliber lineup, complete with their NHL starter playing the whole game.

Point is it's preseason. The young guys have more to fight for. Many vets take it easy, especially this early in preseason. Also, unlike the Sens, it appeared that Randy Carlyle was experimenting more with his lineup. It was most definitely apparent during the Shootout selecting the youngsters (Santorelli excluded) over the vets like JVR.

The Sens on the other hand opted for the win by going with NHLers.

It is only preseason and it's not the final score that matters right now it's the habits. Bad habits are bad habits. Are you giving the puck away all night. Are you doing this in just one preseason game (could be a bad night ok) or is this a regular occurrence? Make one all star play and 5 bonehead plays because you are just not thinking? Being consistent win or lose and not beating yourselves will carry on to the next phase.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Of the new players Leo has had the biggest impact and Winnik has been himself and noticeable.

Santo has been okay, while Kontiola and Booth have done very little and Frattin has been average.

Based on the games so far Holland looks like he is winning the battle for a roster spot.

Holland was the only player that Clarkson seemed to have chemistry with last year, so who knows, they might be reunited this year as well.

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Kadri-Santorelli
Komarov-Holland-Clarkson
Booth-Winnik-Frattin

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It is looking like the Leafs might be able to put together a 4th. line that can do more than fight.

I hope so. Players from team Rielly last night that can join team Kadri for the next round of cuts:

Obviously Holland and Rielly.
Winnik is solid.
Forwards: Booth(not happy with his play,gives the puck away far to much),Frattin,Ashton,Carrick,Abbott,Orr(won't be cut)
Defense:Knodel,Nilsson,Holzer
Goalies:Heeter,Bibeau(he should go where he will get 50 games as a starter)
IMO the rest can be cut for now and sent to their respective teams for more development.

zzmoto

May 28, 2011
location, location
I read comments from a Finn who watched the game and he said Kontiola barely got to touch the puck with the two puckhogs keeping it mostly to themselves. To get a better idea of what he could do for the team, it might be best to give him the kind of linemates most people projected him as having. Someone like Komarov and someone who can shoot or score (but not on first line level).

Sadly, no. I know what kind of player he usually is, but that's not the player we've seen so far. He seems to have trouble finding his game.
His timing is off, and most of the time he seems more concerned with not making mistakes than making plays, like he's more afraid to fail than eager to succeed.
He didn't have the puck a lot last night, and that was not because his linemates were hogging it, it was because he did't make himself a playable option.
To be fair though, he did make a couple of good plays when he did have the puck.
He was not awful, he was just for the most part a non-factor.
I´m sad to say if he doesn't get it together in the next couple of games, he should probably spend some time on the marlies to get his small ice game back.
Let's not forget that Leo spent some time there as well (albeit for other reasons), and his game was already more suited for North America than Petri's.

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
JVR-Santorelli-Kessel: JVR is beast mode; Santo has been okay; Kess doesn't care

Nylander-Kadri-Brown: Willy looked like he needs more seasoning if you were to just look at this game; Kadri started off well then stopped caring after he scored; Brown didn't do much

Leivo-Kontiola-Kozun: I have been very disappointed by Leivo and Kontiola, neither have played well at all, even want Kontiola played with our two best players; Kozun plays hard and has some skill

Devane-McKegg-Bodie: McKegg is the only one who stood out here, he works hard and has a nose for the puck

Gardiner-Granberg: Gardiner played well; Granberg will definitely be with the Marlies

Loov-Franson: Loov struggled; Franson played well except for that terrible pass on the blueline that caused a goal

Percy-Mikkelson: Percy played better than some have given him credit for; Mikkelson won't see any time in the N this year, very unremarkable

Reimer-Gibson: Both goalies played okay, obviously Reims got a shutout

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary

I don't think Willy played well at all. I'm not trying to be overly critical or anything, just saying, I don't think he really impressed much last night.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
:biglaugh: i just heard the radio call of the game. Bowen was like young Connor McDavid is stepping up for the Leafs.

Ralph: Joe you mean, Connor Brown

Bowen: that's Right! Brown! Maybe I was a bit premature in my thinking there

:biglaugh: we all know what Bowen wants for the team next year ;)

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
:biglaugh: i just heard the radio call of the game. Bowen was like young Connor McDavid is stepping up for the Leafs.

Ralph: Joe you mean, Connor Brown

Bowen: that's Right! Brown! Maybe I was a bit premature in my thinking there

:biglaugh: we all know what Bowen wants for the team next year ;)

Lol even the announcers are tank nation.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Figured I'd see some Franson bashing.lol
He was by far our best d-man last night. Even on the goal against, Gardiner floats within 10 ft of him giving him an almost impossible out pass. Yes, Franson should have just threw it down the wall, but Gardiner should not have been 10' from him as his outlet. Typical Franson luck, he makes a mistake, and it ends up a goal against and people forget the rest of his game. Loov was brutal last night and Franson bailed him out more than a few times. Let's give Franson a little credit, he has been good so far this pre-season.

I like Gardiner, great skater and talent, but has anyone thought what it must be like to play with this guy from a positional stand point? Because he is everywhere, everyone else is constantly having to re-adjust because Jake could be anywhere. Offensively a treat to pay with, positionally a nightmare.lol

So far, really like Holland and Frattin's game. Kontiola, Santo are behind Holland as centres at this point.imo

Hoping Clarkson and Bozak can get some games in...they need to get some flow going before the season starts.

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
Leivo-Kontiola-Kozun: I have been very disappointed by Leivo and Kontiola, neither have played well at all, even want Kontiola played with our two best players; Kozun plays hard and has some skill

I thought Kozun played a good game. He's a gritty little guy, that's for sure. Fast and not afraid of the corners. Perfect Bottom-6 guy.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
After smashing Kontiola I will come to his defense -- his play at the Olympics and WC was no aberration. The guy has ability, its just that he has absolutely zero AGILITY and ACCELERATION, two things which are vital on small ice.

On larger ice its obvious he benefits greatly from extra space he has. Hes simply not built for the NHL

Thay can happen. No big deal, I think he can retire and get his money in the K still.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don't think Willy played well at all. I'm not trying to be overly critical or anything, just saying, I don't think he really impressed much last night.

Exciting to watch and impressed by play are not synonymous. ;)

Perhaps I was more excited to see Willie then Petri play, when focusing on Leafs future. :wg:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

He was really good last night. Was battling in the corners, wasn't being pushed off the puck, and was stripping guys of the puck consistently. Got an assist too. Was very noticable.

To each their own though

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Gardiner
Franson

Mikkelson

Granberg
Loov
Percy

Likely only two of these guys will be on the team so it isn't like this was reflective of the Leafs rebuilt defense.

I wish Percy was a couple years further along. He's very intelligent and it would be nice if he was the right complement for Dion, someone whose game would allow Dion to do the things that make him dangerous (the offensive and htting gambles).

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Really unimpressed with Granberg and Loov last night, seemed like they were fighting with the puck all night.. Percy made safe plays all night and looks like he could handle bottom pairing minutes if push came to shove. Out of all our young defenseman -- I think Percy is most ready, him or Granberg.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
JVR-Santorelli-Kessel: JVR is beast mode; Santo has been okay; Kess doesn't care

Nylander-Kadri-Brown: Willy looked like he needs more seasoning if you were to just look at this game; Kadri started off well then stopped caring after he scored; Brown didn't do much

Devane-McKegg-Bodie: McKegg is the only one who stood out here, he works hard and has a nose for the puck

Gardiner-Granberg: Gardiner played well; Granberg will definitely be with the Marlies

Loov-Franson: Loov struggled; Franson played well except for that terrible pass on the blueline that caused a goal

Percy-Mikkelson: Percy played better than some have given him credit for; Mikkelson won't see any time in the N this year, very unremarkable

Reimer-Gibson: Both goalies played okay, obviously Reims got a shutout

I still feel he is the bes among Percy, Nilsson and Granberg. Keeping in mind Loov isn't used to playing back to back games. He definitey never played preseason games front of 20,000 fans. I am not worried about him

Percy on the other hand, looks very blant

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
He was really good last night. Was battling in the corners, wasn't being pushed off the puck, and was stripping guys of the puck consistently. Got an assist too. Was very noticable.

To each their own though

I agree that he battled well along the boards, and displayed more strength than I thought at protecting the puck. Perhaps my expectations are unrealistic in what I wanted to see.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Really unimpressed with Granberg and Loov last night, seemed like they were fighting with the puck all night.. Percy made safe plays all night and looks like he could handle bottom pairing minutes if push came to shove. Out of all our young defenseman -- I think Percy is most ready, him or Granberg.

It's very difficult to judge those players based on one game. I would beg to differ about Percy. Pegeu skated by him too easily to score that goal but that was one play

I expected more out of Granberg. He has to get more physically involved

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
Exciting to watch and impressed by play are not synonymous. ;)

Perhaps I was more excited to see Willie then Petri play, when focusing on Leafs future. :wg:

Do you think he's ready for the N?

I guess it's way to early to tell after two preseason games, eh?

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Someone once said, "You Can Put Lipstick on a Pig, But It’s Still a Pig".

Someone also said "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking downâ€.

Or if you prefer this one, "Some people grumble that roses have thorns; I am grateful that thorns have roses.â€

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad