Post-Game Talk: Game 1, Leafs lose 4-3 .. Come up short in the shootout

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I'm not too worried, it's only a pre-season game. Hell, it's not uncommon for the veterans to kinda 'mail it in' until October, while all the younger guys play like they have something to prove.

Hopefully our guys will start caring more once Reg season starts.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
Classic over reacting bipolar leaf fan base.

It's preseason people! The point of it is to get back into the swing of things. Of course players will be rusty. That's why they play these games.

You can't expect everyone to execute every play to perfection. How many bobbled passes and fanned shots did we see? Several which led to goals against.

A lot of the young guys and AHLers will get cut tomorrow and the level of play will slowly ramp up.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Granberg and Loov look pretty mediocre out there. I hope it's just preseason rust and not another case of Korbinian Holzer, who received a lot of in house hype, but has turned out to be an NHL pylon.

Franson is just too much of an oddity. Huge body who doesn't use his physicality, great wingspan but no nobility, great shot, great outlet passes but pretty poor sense. The Leafs defense would be so much better if they had that Seidenberg/Timonen IQ dimension to stabilize things.

Percy looked decent, though kind of weak and his skating just lacks any kind of explosiveness. Not that exciting either. Mikkelson is irrelevant.

Interesting you mention Percy, as he looks to have that IQ we need.

His skating is just a step too slow to be able to capitalize on it.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I read comments from a Finn who watched the game and he said Kontiola barely got to touch the puck with the two puckhogs keeping it mostly to themselves. To get a better idea of what he could do for the team, it might be best to give him the kind of linemates most people projected him as having. Someone like Komarov and someone who can shoot or score (but not on first line level).

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
From what I saw, Franson was good, barring that one turn-over that ended as a goal. :D But his offensive play was pretty smart.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Lol. You guys should never judge a veteran in pre-season.

Didn't Ed Belfour teach you guys anything?

The players you really have to judge are the ones trying to make the roster.

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
I went to the game really interested to see how Leivo looked and came away really unsatisfied. He looked slow and fought the game all night. He didn't get involved and kind of floated for most of his shifts.

Kadri looks A LOT faster this year than I've ever seen before. Him and Gardiner had some questionable giveaways, but played decently otherwise.

JVR will be the best player on this team this year. That's my bold prediction. His confidence is high right now, and he seems to be improving every season. Like Kadri, he looks faster as well as more physical than ever. That retaliation hit at the end of OT was fantastic - the building cheered like he had scored.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I read comments from a Finn who watched the game and he said Kontiola barely got to touch the puck with the two puckhogs keeping it mostly to themselves. To get a better idea of what he could do for the team, it might be best to give him the kind of linemates most people projected him as having. Someone like Komarov and someone who can shoot or score (but not on first line level).

That sounds an awful lot like Clarkson. One guy you don't want carrying the puck but cleaning up the garbage.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Kessel looks really out of shape.

Hardly skating at all but looks dead winded the entire time.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Yeah, no. Kontiola struggled by himself, no need to blame his linemates.

He looks lost and intimidated. Not moving his feet and turned over the puck too many times.

I don't think he'll make the final 13 quite frankly. All though to be fair, not many players last night were overly great.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
That sounds an awful lot like Clarkson. One guy you don't want carrying the puck but cleaning up the garbage.

Komarov - Kontiola - Clarkson could be a decent line, if Kontiola can step it up. Otherwise I see Holland in that spot, or even Bozak if you go with the Size Line, JVR - Holland - Lupul.

Kontiola was slow, out of position a lot and took bad decisions both off and on the puck. That has nothing to do with Kessel and JVR. A big reason that he didn't get to have the puck is also that he was never in a position to receive it.

I was looking closely at him and he was hiding from the play, more or less. Many times he was backing off to defend as soon as JVR or Kessel even got pressured in the offensive zone, instead of staying high and being an alternative.

Kessel looks really out of shape.

Hardly skating at all but looks dead winded the entire time.

Really? Just thought he looked uninterested.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Komarov - Kontiola - Clarkson could be a decent line, if Kontiola can step it up. Otherwise I see Holland in that spot, or even Bozak if you go with the Size Line, JVR - Holland - Lupul.

Kontiola was slow, out of position a lot and took bad decisions both off and on the puck. That has nothing to do with Kessel and JVR. A big reason that he didn't get to have the puck is also that he was never in a position to receive it.

I was looking closely at him and he was hiding from the play, more or less. Many times he was backing off to defend as soon as JVR or Kessel even got pressured in the offensive zone, instead of staying high and being an alternative.

Really? Just thought he looked uninterested.

To me, and from what I have learned after playing all these years, his body language is saying that he is gasses out there.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Kessel is normally pretty bad in pre-season, at least the first couple games.

Veterans in general are pretty lackluster.

I wonder why?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Not saying you are wrong, I just didn't notice it myself. Can't say I was looking too carefully though.

I'm keeping a closer eye on the guys who are the cogs in a make it or break it year.

Plus, I am intrigued by all the rumors that came out before camp and looking to see if valid or not.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I'm keeping a closer eye on the guys who are the cogs in a make it or break it year.

Plus, I am intrigued by all the rumors that came out before camp and looking to see if valid or not.

What about the statement made by Cox saying that Kessel was in the top 3 overall in the fitness tests?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
This, some are way overreacting. This is not our season roster. And the coach is trying different players in different situations. Wait to the regular season starts before the melt-down happens.

Even if it was our season roster it shouldn't matter at all.

That year we finished 2nd last in the league, we ripped the pre-season lol

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Lol. You guys should never judge a veteran in pre-season.

Didn't Ed Belfour teach you guys anything?

The players you really have to judge are the ones trying to make the roster.

Of the new players Leo has had the biggest impact and Winnik has been himself and noticeable.

Santo has been okay, while Kontiola and Booth have done very little and Frattin has been average.

Based on the games so far Holland looks like he is winning the battle for a roster spot.

Wee Willie has been the most exciting new addition to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $685.00