Half-Assed GDT: Game -1: HomeHawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Oh how I enjoy facebook.... hawk fans always trolling. "You beat the icehogs!!!!" First off, no one cares, it's preseason. 2nd, no ****...but your B team was absolutely ****. 3rd. Tarasenko didn't get to feed on your goalies yet.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
Agreed he did not need to sprawl there. Was hoping to see his positioning improve over the off season as he's going to get chances this season.

I was more referring to intentionally passing the puck to Ott and the late clearing attempt that didn't make it.

Never disagreed with the mistakes leading up to the goal, just thought Allen could have played it better, lol.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Oh how I enjoy facebook.... hawk fans always trolling. "You beat the icehogs!!!!" First off, no one cares, it's preseason. 2nd, no ****...but your B team was absolutely ****. 3rd. Tarasenko didn't get to feed on your goalies yet.

I don't understand how people get cranked either way about preseason. The Hawks' announcers were stumbling over themselves to make excuses for who was and wasn't in the lineup. Dudes, we know and it's not important, try not to sound so defensive.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Couple of quick thoughts:

Allen was much better this game about staying square. The first goal he looked terrible on, flopping around and not keeping his composure, and he did some swimming later in the game, but for the most part, much more composed. Glad to see that.

Rattie positioned himself well with this game for a roster spot in my opinion. I still haven't seen the offensive skill from him to make me think he could score 20 goals in this league, but he's much better about being where he's supposed to be and getting into the corners and winning battles for the puck. I think a timeshare with him and Fabbri for the first month or two would be great for both guys.

Fabbri was decent, he has that ability to find a little space and make small but significant plays. I love that he is able to effortlessly move the puck across the blue line with speed and confidence on zone entries. Would like to see him shoot at least once during his 9 game trial.

Parayko just keeps putting up points. Don't know how you can put him down in the AHL after this, I mean what more do you want from a guy in training camp?

Edmundson also looked pretty solid. Clearly has some snarl and isn't afraid to use it.

AP and Bow do not look good together. Personally, I've felt they've never really jelled. Both are far too used to being alpha on their pairing. I'm all aboard the Dream Pairings train!

Lehtera looked pretty solid in his first game action. Made a GREAT read on the PK that lead to that 2v1 with Schwartz.

Ott is still terribad with the puck. That is all.

OK, I'm officially ready for the Blues Wheel to go to the TOTALLY OPTIMISTIC part of the dial, where's Elk at with that graphic? 1 more week!

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
Couple of quick thoughts:

Allen was much better this game about staying square. The first goal he looked terrible on, flopping around and not keeping his composure, and he did some swimming later in the game, but for the most part, much more composed. Glad to see that.

Rattie positioned himself well with this game for a roster spot in my opinion. I still haven't seen the offensive skill from him to make me think he could score 20 goals in this league, but he's much better about being where he's supposed to be and getting into the corners and winning battles for the puck. I think a timeshare with him and Fabbri for the first month or two would be great for both guys.

Fabbri was decent, he has that ability to find a little space and make small but significant plays. I love that he is able to effortlessly move the puck across the blue line with speed and confidence on zone entries. Would like to see him shoot at least once during his 9 game trial.

Parayko just keeps putting up points. Don't know how you can put him down in the AHL after this, I mean what more do you want from a guy in training camp?

Edmundson also looked pretty solid. Clearly has some snarl and isn't afraid to use it.

AP and Bow do not look good together. Personally, I've felt they've never really jelled. Both are far too used to being alpha on their pairing. I'm all aboard the Dream Pairings train!

Lehtera looked pretty solid in his first game action. Made a GREAT read on the PK that lead to that 2v1 with Schwartz.

Ott is still terribad with the puck. That is all.

OK, I'm officially ready for the Blues Wheel to go to the TOTALLY OPTIMISTIC part of the dial, where's Elk at with that graphic? 1 more week!

This was my impression, together they aren't great defensively. They both have great offensive skills, but need a stay at home defenseman paired with them!

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Jaskin looks very big. I think he's gonna be bulldozing some people this year.

Love our youth.

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
I am finally aboard the Hitch train. I truly believe he's serious about his system change, and I think letting the players go their thing is going to be very effective this season.

I just watched the highlights, and MAN Jaskin has changed since last season. I really hope he plays a bigger role in the team this year. I'm wondering if he will be the true oshie replacement. I also think Parayko has done everything he can to earn an actual roster spot.

thigpen

Jun 6, 2011
SF Bay Area
Post game thoughts:

G:
Allen looked great from mid 1st period onward.

D:
Petro was Petro.

Shatty was Shatty.

Bouw was back to his former Bouw.

Parayko looked solid, probably deserves to stick.

Bortuzzo looked good, esp for his 1st game back.

Edmundson was OK but made some gaffs. I don't think he sticks, yet.

F:
Schwartz was dynamic, probably my favorite Blue.

Backes was Backes.

Jaskin looked real good, gonna be a nice PF.

Rattie was solid, though he needs to put up some points. I think he should stick but needs to be in the top nine, not on the 4th line.

Fabbri was good, clearly played a safe game tonight.

Lehtera pretty good for his 1st game off sx.

Brouwer pretty decent at using his size to make space and decent defensively.

Brodziak looks solid, and can actually roof the puck!

Ott better than I expected tho he has hands of stone.

Reaves was Reaves.

Gomez wasn't that bad, I thought, but if it's between him and Rattie, I take Ratman every day.

Sorry but Upshall will not make the team.

Last edited:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Post game thoughts:

G:
Allen looked great from mid 1st period onward.

D:
Petro was Petro.

Shatty was Shatty.

Bouw was back to his former Bouw.

Parayko looked solid, probably deserves to stick.

Bortuzzo looked good, esp for his 1st game back.

Edmonson was OK but made some gaffs. I don't think he sticks, yet.

F:
Schwartz was dynamic, probably my favorite Blue.

Backes was Backes.

Jaskin looked real good, gonna be a nice PF.

Rattie was solid, though he needs to put up some points. I think he should stick but needs to be in the top nine, not on the 4th line.

Fabbri was good, clearly played a safe game tonight.

Lehtera pretty good for his 1st game off sx.

Brouwer pretty decent at using his size to make space and decent defensively.

Brodziak looks solid, and can actually roof the puck!

Ott better than I expected tho he has hands of stone.

Reaves was Reaves.

Gomez wasn't that bad, I thought, but if it's between him and Rattie, I take Ratman every day.

Sorry but Upshall will not make the team.

Rattie MUST be kept over Gomez (must be kept up. period!). That is because he will be waiver eligible next season. So, Blues' management needs to see what he can do now, to decide if they want him next season. Otherwise, they have to trade him off before the trade deadline.

thigpen

Jun 6, 2011
SF Bay Area
Rattie MUST be kept over Gomez (must be kept up. period!). That is because he will be waiver eligible next season. So, Blues' management needs to see what he can do now, to decide if they want him next season. Otherwise, they have to trade him off before the trade deadline.

I agree Rattie should stay up, but where does he play in the lineup? He's a top nine player who probably won't crack the top nine, barring injuries, and the press box does him nor the team any good. Platooning him with Fabbri and maybe Brouwer might work but it would be unprecedented for Hitch to roll like that.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri

Not sure if he must be kept up. Not sure that Rattie has shown that he is a solid NHL player. Might be better if we traded him. Gomez is a known quantity, career .5 ppg+ player, former Calder Cup player, has to play 3rd line, not a 4th line player. Upshall can play 4th line. if he has too. Gomez either has to fill in on 3rd line till Berglund returns or we don't keep him. Don't know if Rattie can play or belongs on 3rd line, unknown quantity with no proven history in NHL.

RR10*

I am finally aboard the Hitch train. I truly believe he's serious about his system change, and I think letting the players go their thing is going to be very effective this season.
Haven't been active lately. Can you tell me more about these changes that Hitch talks about?

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Not sure if he must be kept up. Not sure that Rattie has shown that he is a solid NHL player. Might be better if we traded him. Gomez is a known quantity, career .5 ppg+ player, former Calder Cup player, has to play 3rd line, not a 4th line player. Upshall can play 4th line. if he has too. Gomez either has to fill in on 3rd line till Berglund returns or we don't keep him. Don't know if Rattie can play or belongs on 3rd line, unknown quantity with no proven history in NHL.

Gomez was garbage for years until he had a mini-rebound with the Devils who are so desperate at forward that he played second line minutes, got two minutes per game on the powerplay, and had a career year (luck) in shooting percentage - three times what his shooting percentage had been for the previous three seasons. Hell, Ott would have produced comparably in that situation.
I'm not specifically against Gomez making the team as an extra forward, but calling him a .5 ppg+ player is so generous and out of context to October 2015 that we might as well call Rattie a second line NHL winger right now and not worry about any of this.

Also, Rattie had eleven games for the Blues last year and they've seen plenty of him in multiple training camps and preseasons. They might not know what he'll become, but I think the coaches know what he is right now. I do agree that Rattie doesn't necessarily have to be kept up. He might benefit from more time in the AHL, but he and Fabbri might also improve the team by giving them the skilled depth they've lacked.
With how they've brought along youngsters in recent years, I trust that the coaching staff isn't just reading tea leaves. And I do see why other fans think he can hold his own at the NHL level.

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
My gut tells me that they'll rotate Fabbri and Rattie to keep the compete level high, and the bodies fresh.

The question will be how much time Rattie gets. Not to take away from Rattie, but there's a bit of a gap between the two when it comes to doing the little things well. Fabbri's puck/man pursuit, zone entry, and ability to keep pucks alive in tight spaces is just on a different level. He's deferring, but that's not necessarily a problem if he's acting as a +level proxy to puck possession. Yeah, I would like to see him shoot more, but the only area of his game that I can really point to being "iffy" is his play along the boards. That might be a problem come Nov when team's start settling in. Oddly, that's the main area of Rattie's game that I've been impressed with.

I honestly wasn't expecting Fabbri to look this good, and I was preparing to have my hopes for Rattie significantly (permanently) lowered, so its great to see both of them take steps. And 1.) I don't think Fabbri gains much going back to Jr. Hitch was quoted in the BND as saying that they were close to bringing a just off injury Fabbri into the playoff push 2.) I think Rattie is at a point where practicing with the club and learning the ins and outs of the system is more beneficial to his growth.

Other thoughts:

Pietrangelo has looked dominant. I'm also buying into the dream pairings. He has always looked better when he's felt responsible for 2/3 of the ice instead of deferring.

Jaskin has definitely improved his first few strides. I was worried the early training camp reports were being given through hockey starved eyes, but the combination of him feeling comfortable and the added acceleration has him looking like a serious weapon.

Schwartz finally had a good game. A really good game.

And a big part of that, I think, was Lehtera. I was expecting a long ramp up for Lehtera. He didn't look terribly smooth on his skates, but he is such a smart hockey player that he was still very effective.

Parayko is not going to need much seasoning. In fact, if he does go down with intermittent cups of coffee, I could easily see him hopping up permanently toward the middle of the year and go straight to being a consistent impact player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad