Pre-Game Talk: Game #1 Habs vs Knights, Monday June 14th 9pm

Who will take round 3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
We need Anderson to start producing, it would help us big time, he brings speed and physicality but we need points from him if we're going to win Lord Stanley's cup. I think Caufield is gonna be able to find holes and snipe it on Fleury more than on Hellebuyck who's giant.
For the Habs to stand a chance Habs will need some production from Anderson. Very disappointed to see 1 goal in 11 playoff games. He is better than that

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Those of you who said Leafs in 4 should be banned from here. Those of you who said Jets in 4 should be banned and grouped up with the Leaf predictors and go work for sportsnet.

And those of you who are related to Flanders Scheifele, you’re definitely not the salt of the earth. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
And those of you who are related to Flanders Scheifele, you’re definitely not the salt if the earth. :sarcasm:
flanderschrist.gif

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Not shocking, Gainey was a favorite of Senator Molson and is close to Jr’s old man (Eric) - always found it hard the family would just cut total ties..

Besides that’s how Gainey got the GM gig w Habs, after leaving Stars, he took time off to look after his daughter who had substance issues, called up the Molson family and said “I’m ready to get back to management”, Andre Savard was promptly notified he was no longer GM...

Something's a little wrong here with your story. George Gillett was owner when Gainey was hired as Habs GM. Gillett bought the Habs and the Bell Centre more than two years before Gainey was hired.

OnceWasNot

Jul 28, 2009
Vegas is a team built for the playoffs with speed, skill and size up front and at D, a goalie who can match Price and they play a physical, heavy forechecking game . By far a tougher opponent than either Toronto or Winnipeg. I don't see the Habs winning more than one or two games, but I said the same before they faced Toronto, so who knows. Lots of uncertainty in this sport which is what makes it interesting.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Something's a little wrong here with your story. George Gillett was owner when Gainey was hired as Habs GM. Gillett bought the Habs and the Bell Centre more than two years before Gainey was hired.

Didn't the Molsons still owned a decent stake of the Habs during Gillett's reign? I forgot. It's not out of the question they were advising Gillett on this sort of things, since Gillett knew little about hockey, but it's pure speculation.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Gainey called Dan O’Neil in late 2002 who was working the Molson / Coors deal (even though it was publicly announced in 2004) and still Molson CEO, and the one who poached Boivin from CCM in 2000 to become Habs Prez. Also, there was a clause in the sale giving first right of refusal of team sale to the Molson family.

Furthermore, Molson/Coors HQ in Colorado, home of Gillet, who in turn had a close relationship to the Coors family, who had let George know there was a hockey team for sale in late 2000. It’s a convoluted inbred domino effect story that was also in an article by Raymond or Tremblay.

O’Neill had informed both the Molson family & Boivin that Gainey was interested in a GM gig w Habs, and a short while later (4-5months) it was announced Andre Savard “had volunteered to assume the role of AGM, to make way for a more experienced Gainey coming on board as GM”

Last edited:

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Didn't the Molsons still owned a decent stake of the Habs during Gillett's reign? I forgot. It's not out of the question they were advising Gillett on this sort of things, since Gillett knew little about hockey, but it's pure speculation.

Boivin was president. He was hired late in the previous Molson regime and fired Reggie Houle and hired Andre Savard. I always had the feeling that Andre Savard was holding the fort and cleaning up Houle's mess until the Habs got a bigger name. Of course there was always a sense that Gainey would eventually come home to the Habs after learning the tricks of the trade during a long tenure with the Stars.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Boivin was president. He was hired late in the previous Molson regime and fired Reggie Houle and hired Andre Savard. I always had the feeling that Andre Savard was holding the fort and cleaning up Houle's mess until the Habs got a bigger name. Of course there was always a sense that Gainey would eventually come home to the Habs after learning the tricks of the trade during a long tenure with the Stars.
Gainey kind of always lived in Montreal. His daughter runs their non-profit in montreal and i always see him walking around westmount

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Gainey called Dan O’Neil in late 2002 who was working the Molson / Coors deal (even though it was publicly announced in 2004) and still Molson CEO, and the one who poached Boivin from CCM in 2000 to become Habs Prez. Also, there was a clause in the sale giving first right of refusal of team sale to the Molson family.

Furthermore, Molson/Coors HQ in Colorado, home of Gillet, who in turn had a close relationship to the Coors family, who had let George know there was a hockey team for sale in late 2000. It’s a convoluted inbred domino effect story that was also in an article by Raymond or Tremblay.

O’Neill had informed both the Molson family & Boivin that Gainey was interested in a GM gig w Habs, and a short while later (4-5months) it was announced Andre Savard “had volunteered to assume the role of AGM, to make way for a more experienced Gainey coming on board as GM”

That all sounds accurate. I remember there was an insider on a Habs forum I used to frequent (not this one) who provided details that Gainey was coming back to run the Habs several weeks before it became official. The poster's name was Molson Man. Maybe he was in tight with O'Neil. LOL!

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Fun fact: the top 3 heaviest teams are in the semi-final, Tampa, Islander and Vegas.

Habs are 7th.

Smurfs era around the NHL is gone.

When was the Smirf era? Recent champions (Tampa, Saint Louis, Washington) did not strike me as smurf teams?

Finalists (Vegas, Boston, Dallas) were pretty hard nosed too? (Idk if they were heavt as well?)

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
For the Habs to stand a chance Habs will need some production from Anderson. Very disappointed to see 1 goal in 11 playoff games. He is better than that

Anderson - 1 point in 11 games
Danault - 2 points in 11 games
Petry - 3 points in 10 games
Gallagher - 4 points in 11 games
Caufield - 0 goals in 9 games
Kotkaniemi - 0 assists in 10 games

There is a LOT left on the table for our offence. Toffoli, Perry, Armia, Staal and Suzuki are the only players producing where they should or above grade ... If Price continues to play how he has been, and the whole team shows up, anything is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad