GDT: Game 1: Flyers @ Coyotes ~ 10/15/2016 ~ 18:00 PDT ~ FS-A

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
You can play on a lower line and still have an offensive role. 3rd and 4th line minutes do not indicate a checking or defensive role. Especially when Martin Hanzal and Brad Richardson are taking draws on the same team.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Sit Dauphin. Go Hanzal dvo Strome Richardson down the middle. Simple.

Dauphin now and in the future is no more than a 4c on this team.

Take maturity to the hockey rink and see how many goals you come home with.

Dauphin is this years Martinook. Look, he came to camp and played great on the PK, and has speed, similar to Rieder. Whether he stays on the roster is up to him, but this kid did what he had to do. Maybe Strome who has much more talent, should have come to camp with a chip on his shoulder. You take entitlement to the hockey rink and see how many goals you come home with.:)

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I'd rather him sit than be on the 3rd or 4th lines. You give him ice time in games to play to his strengths, and he's best utilized as a playmaker or scorer rather than being a defensive forward for his first games.

Playing at 3C is just fine for Strome, better players than him have been sheltered on the third line and moved up when they were ready. I wouldn't look at 3rd/4th lines as shutdown lines anymore.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
Strome isn't in a position yet to be a 3C, IMO. I'd rather him sit than be on the 3rd or 4th lines. You give him ice time in games to play to his strengths, and he's best utilized as a playmaker or scorer rather than being a defensive forward for his first games.

Playing at 3C is just fine for Strome, better players than him have been sheltered on the third line and moved up when they were ready. I wouldn't look at 3rd/4th lines as shutdown lines anymore.

We also have the flexibility to take Reider, Hanzal, and White and throw them out there if we really need to lock down an opposing top line or if we're leading. I think the whole third/fourth lines can't score is antiquated, but Tippet does still subscribe to it.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
It's hardly a stupid rule, the CHL has to make money and bring in crowds too, if you take the players out who are AHL ready you would make the league much worse overall. They run the league like a business, and if you're a business you want to be profitable. Its an imperfect system like everything in life because there will always be the few players who are ready to move up a league, it's their teams jobs to make the tough decisions and develop them as players, not the CHL's.

:laugh: To hell with the proper development of players.... Canadian Jr's need money!

How very American

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yeah but you defend literally every single official team decision always. Without fail.

I thought Strome should have made the team last year, but they sent him back. This year he came to rookie camp and fell down every time someone came close to him and skated like he gained 50 lbs. In training camp and preseason he did not dominate in the dot like last year and just looked uncomfortable. Maybe he put to much pressure on himself, but Dvorak and Dauphin deserve this first game, not Strome. I don't defend all of the official team decisions, but most I do because they are correct, not like you, XX and the rest of your followers that ***** about everything the organization does. The team hasn't even played one game yet and here you and some others already are moaning and groaning. This is a young team, and there will be many up and downs this year, players in and out of the line up constantly. I wonder how many games it will take before you start the "fire everyone, fire DT" chant.:) I just can't see why people can't be excited about what is happening here with this team.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Strome isn't in a position yet to be a 3C, IMO. I'd rather him sit than be on the 3rd or 4th lines. You give him ice time in games to play to his strengths, and he's best utilized as a playmaker or scorer rather than being a defensive forward for his first games.

I'd be fine with seeing Strome and Dvorak alternate for the first few games at 2C. Give each of them a chance to fight for his spot. When I said "dicked around" earlier I meant if Tippett has Strome in the press box for three, four, or five games straight; that's a waste of a prospect, and moreover it costs the team money. Get it over with and send him back to juniors if you're going to do that.

Seguin, Bennett, Mackinnon, Larkin, Galchenyuk, Zacha/Barzal (right now), Kuznetsov, Scheifele... all are examples of centers that started on the third line and worked there way up
Third line is likely where he belongs...
though the team MIGHT (guessing and assuming now) be using his 9 games as an extra half month of hard training with Braid while giving him some of the 9 games as chance to prove he can stay (might not even care if they burn a year of his ELC), This team is aiming for the playoffs and will likely need every point they can get for a wild card spot, might not want to risk a potential win just to play someone they don't think will help the team as much

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I like Strome probably more than most, but the Richardson, Doan and Martinook were excellent for us last year. Strome has to pick it up. He reminded me of Perline in rookie camp and I still don't think he looks comfortable.

Went to the luncheon yesterday and a friend of mine reacted upon seeing him with "he needs to hit the gym". As you and I both know that can often cause problems, or maybe it could help, but just perhaps he needs a little more time to mature.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Went to the luncheon yesterday and a friend of mine reacted upon seeing him with "he needs to hit the gym". As you and I both know that can often cause problems, or maybe it could help, but just perhaps he needs a little more time to mature.

I agree with this, and have been questioning it myself. Also makes me question his off ice commitment, i think from his skating to his overall physique that it isn't unfair to question his personal training habits. I wish there was a way of knowing aside from appearance

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I agree with this, and have been questioning it myself. Also makes me question his off ice commitment, i think from his skating to his overall physique that it isn't unfair to question his personal training habits. I wish there was a way of knowing aside from appearance

I lean toward him just being a late bloomer. Which many may question, given his success in Jr's, but as you most likely know each step is a big one on the way to the big show.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Not at all out of context imo.

Unless I misunderstood, you said they covet players of high caliber for money.

Of course they do just like the NHL. Just like any sports league. It would be idiotic if they didn't. But that doesn't mean they are throwing away player development. They spend lots of money on development and teams practice almost as much as professionals. But if the league gives away its best players it will lose money because those are the players people pay to watch, if the league fails to remain profitable then it will no longer exist... and the NHL loves the CHL for its development of young players and its convenience for scouting 60 teams instead of hundreds of local junior teams
You have to take the good with the bad, its not perfect but the CHL will not turn down money to make things easier for NHL teams

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Of course they do just like the NHL. Just like any sports league. It would be idiotic if they didn't. But that doesn't mean they are throwing away player development. They spend lots of money on development and teams practice almost as much as professionals. But if the league gives away its best players it will lose money because those are the players people pay to watch, if the league fails to remain profitable then it will no longer exist... and the NHL loves the CHL for its development of young players and its convenience for scouting 60 teams instead of hundreds of local junior teams
You have to take the good with the bad, its not perfect but the CHL will not turn down money to make things easier for NHL teams

It's not about what's easier for NHL teams. Do you think Dylan Strome (at this point) is best served (developmentally) by going back to Jr's, skating in the big show, or the AHL?

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
It's not about what's easier for NHL teams. Do you think Dylan Strome (at this point) is best served (developmentally) by going back to Jr's, skating in the big show, or the AHL?

Ive never disagreed about him being ready for AHL and that being best for his personal development, He likely could have played there last year. I have never argued that. All i've said is that the CHL-NHL agreement isn't a stupid rule, in fact its a very smart rule made by the CHL, and like i said it's the NHL clubs job to make the hard choices in regards to furthering their players development. It's not the CHL's job to make those choices easier for teams, it's their job to develop the players they do have as best they can and to covet those star players to make their league as good as possible.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It's getting tiresome seeing every column of Morgan's align with management. Why does Rich Nairn even stick around?

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Ive never disagreed about him being ready for AHL and that being best for his personal development, He likely could have played there last year. I have never argued that. All i've said is that the CHL-NHL agreement isn't a stupid rule, in fact its a very smart rule made by the CHL, and like i said it's the NHL clubs job to make the hard choices in regards to furthering their players development. It's not the CHL's job to make those choices easier for teams, it's their job to develop the players they do have as best they can and to covet those star players to make their league as good as possible.

And I never said you had a stance one way or the other. But for a league that has more players not making it than making it, to dictate what can be done at the pro level, in order to serve its own interest, is not conducive to the best possible scenario as far as player development is concerned.

I don't know how you can argue that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad