GDT: Game 1: Coyotes @ Ducks | 7:00 p.m. PDT | FS-A | 98.7 FM

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Well, this is the style of play we wanted after He Who Must Not Be Named. It was entertaining but messy. At times I thought it looked like a training camp game where guys were still trying to figure out who they were playing with. But that top line of Domi-Stepan-Keller is dynamite.

At this point I can't wait until Miska is ready to take over Louie's job.

Reactions: SR and Lady Macbeth

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Well, the outcome sucks, and there's clearly some work remaining to sort out on the defense.

But man am I happy to see how well the youth on the roster played tonight. There's good reason to be excited about the youngsters this season and beyond.

Reactions: Lady Macbeth

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Sucks to lose but this was a fun game. Loui isn't a starting goalie and not one of our D men looked good in their own zone. The D has to be better than they played tonight and we'll see if Raanta is any good. Lots to be encouraged about with the forwards and the style we are playing. Can't wait til Saturday night!

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Somewhere in the cosmos, Dave Tippett was fondling himself during those last 10 minutes of the game, mumbling to himself, "yep that's what happens when you play amateurs, and don't have a veteran player like Schmiddy in net"

Last edited:

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
We lost, but there are plenty of positives to take out of the game. Our offensive pressure looked amazing. We got sloppy with the lead for... whatever reason, I don't know. Once we got the 4-1 lead, we basically played like complete trash afterwards. Showed no mental resilience.

The sarcastic person in me wants to say that we don't know how to defend a lead because we usually don't have one.

Reactions: _Del_ and mouser

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Good chance here for the coaching staff to make sure this kind of loss doesn't overshadow any positives or destroy confidence. They did a lot of good things tonight, just need to tell Demers and Goligoski to pull their f***ing heads out of the sand in the D zone, yikes.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Goligoski and Demers were really bad. Not playing at the level of the rest of the team.
Kconn had some rough moments too, but he's not an everyday player like goose and Demers.
Damn, that hits you in the chin. But also, was fun to watch. These kids are good. Excited for the season.
Pretty much where I'm at. It sucks to blow that lead, but man that was the most fun game I've seen in ages. And again, it's not a bad lesson for the youth on the team. Just because things are going well doesn't mean you can relax.

A healthy Chychrun taking goose's 2nd pairing spot and some more experience should help quite a bit. Goose and Demers need to pick it up big time though, or those contracts may be co-albatrosses.

BigJCaRoach

I howl
Sponsor
Oct 5, 2005
The Desert
Offensively, yeah they looked really damn good. Defensively? :help:

OEL was great. Smooth like he looked two years ago. Hammer goofed on Perry for the 1st Ducks goal, but I also think Louie should have had it. Hammer was solid after that. KConn looked good. Schenn wasn’t bad.

It was our money men, Goli and Demers, that need to correct themselves and they can.

DoanStopBelievin

Oct 6, 2017
Losing sucks.. BUT if you aren’t excited for the years to come after seeing some of those flashes from the kids you’re nuts. Hopefully a complete game comes sooner rather than later. D Men getting comfortable with each other (and Chychrun returning) plus more synergy among the forwards could equal a surprisingly good season I think.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Hammer is also slow as shit. Like alarmingly slow. But he makes up for it by being so damn smart with his positioning and shading attackers to harmless areas. Schenn should pay attention.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Goligoski started very slow last year too. Hopefully he dials it in quicker this time than he did last season. Of course, he also had 3 assists tonight.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Outshot 40-31 with most of the Ducks good players out of the line up, would have been worse against an entire team. It was fun for a while when we were up 4-1 though.
Long ways to go with this team - hope they can fast track - say maybe 1/2 the pace of what I've seen from Keller this fall.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
For once I got to watch an entire game.

Lots of things need to be cleaned up but I like where I see the team going.

Biggest difference for me in this game was Gibson made the big saves and Louie didn't. The Ducks' first and last goal he had a great look at both pucks and missed them.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Biggest difference for me in this game was Gibson made the big saves and Louie didn't. The Ducks' first and last goal he had a great look at both pucks and missed them.

There was a lack of defense all game. The momentum was with the Coyotes early, and Louie made key stops. Then when things shifted, the predictable happened.

Dvorak and Strome both probably should have scored, putting the game away. I'll take the entertaining loss after five years of shit.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Haha. Perry is a shit heel and our whole team falls to pieces over it. Especially Louis who just unraveled over a little brinksmanship. Mental midget night for him.

Roller coaster game. Should be a roller coaster season. A lot of fun (until the 4th Ducks goal).

Goligoski and Demers were catastrophic in their own zone and played terribly together. So out of sync. Yikes. That said, both were good offensively and largely made great pinches. Connauton and Schenn were also erratic. Shots from our D missing the bet killed a ton of momentum tonight. OEL especially (and Connauton) was guilty of completely sabataging otherwise great pressure and movement by taking a big dumb Derek Morris shot that nailed the glass behind the net and was easily cleared right out.

Forwards were good. Dvorak and Crouse both looked very sleepy. Dvorak had some half assed plays with the man advantage especially. Game got chippy and I was hoping to see Crouse get his blood up. Nope. He snoozed tonight. Schenn also looked very much asleep. Someone needs to remind them we don't have anyone bigger or badder and they're going to have to sack up or we're going to keep getting run over. We can't be intimidated by Corey f***ing Perry of all bitch ass mother f***ers and expect to win a single NHL game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad