GDT: Game 1: Coyotes @ Ducks | 7:00 p.m. PDT | FS-A | 98.7 FM

KG

Sep 23, 2010
The forward corps is much improved over prior years, we actually had pressure in the offensive zone besides dump and chase

The defense needs work.

Reactions: Lady Macbeth

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The **** Goligoski? Every god damn time you feel pressure you launch it around the boards to a waiting duck.
Goligoski needs to learn how to use his teammates or the open ice in the D zone. He's not using the boards correctly and just needs to stop trying. Man oh man. And how does Demers look at Goligoski in the D zone and think "that looks good, I'll try that"? Haha.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Goligoski needs to learn how to use his teammates or the open ice in the D zone. He's not using the boards correctly and just needs to stop trying. Man oh man. And how does Demers look at Goligoski in the D zone and think "that looks good, I'll try that"? Haha.

They never really played together in Dallas and I'm guessing that's for a good reason. Chychrun needs to arise.

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
Finally - some entertaining hockey. First time I have watched a full game without wanting to forward thru the play cause it was actually entertaining.
Glad to see Duclair score. Hopefully he carries that forward. I thought we really carried the 5 on 5 play for the first half of the game.
All the pressure we applied to the puck really caused the Ducks to turn it over.

I really liked the way Strome played. I thought he was noticeable in a good way. Solid on the fore-check. Made some really good defensive plays to clear the zone. Was robbed by Gibson.
Keller, Domi and Stepan looked really good. I liked the lines. I thought Dvorak was good. Was the only center winning some faceoffs at one point.

The defense needs some work. Part of the problem - the forwards are not coming back far enough into the zone for the breakouts or when the defense in under pressure. Part of that is on the defenseman but the wingers have to be back and help. Several of the bad turnovers by Gogo and Demers are on the wingers also. Around the boards is where the play needs to go when in trouble.
RT had a good point - you can tell there is some rust in the players and not playing much with each other in games situations does hurt. I think things will cleanup over time.

Louis needs to play better. I thought he was good at times but a couple goals were too easy. He had a bad angle on Perry's first goal. The last one he has to make that save.
I thought Gibson kept the Ducks in the game in the 2nd period - It could have been 6-1 at some point.

One other issue - we were trying to play so fast that we rushed some of our passes. If we can clean up some of that - we will make it tough on teams.

But - wow really enjoyable to watch.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Three cheers for the forwards, not so for the back end and the tender. Play three periods and you win the game. Next one will be better, have faith.

If the opponents get that many chances it's usually not just the defense but also the forwards who weren't good enough. At the end of the day, you play as a 5 man unit and not just 2 of them need to work against the puck. I feared that the two way game of certain forwards could be a problem.
I agree however that it was mainly the defense who failed last night. Overall it was a pretty good and entertaining game but certain defenders need to get their act together. If I'm not wrong, individual mistakes by OEL, Connauton and Domingue (who I thought was fair otherwise since he had very little support) cost three goals and this just cannot happen.

Overall an encouraging start. Much better than I expected I must say. A loss against this Anaheim squad without several important regulars is still not something that should happen though.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Hate the loss, but loved the game. So much speed and skill on display...very fun to watch.

We're young...nine players born 1995 or later, but only one on defense, and he didn't play. Nash raved about the experience of or D before the game, but defense under-performed. Need Chychrun to return, also need a goalie that can steal a game now and then. Raanta hopefully comes through.

This group will only get better.

zLiMbiLLY

Feb 18, 2012
WingF
Loved the game, the Ducks got outspeeded at first and partly second period. The third looked more like a struggle, tries of dumping to get into zone, and allthrough weak defense.
I missed the part of a defenseman being calm, tough and simply in position. This game lacked it, we really missed Chychrun there who is just that kind of player.
A parallel is the Ducks defense which lead by example, solid and tougher.

OEL had several passing blunders, appeared rusty in that sense. Goligoski tried to toss pucks out of zone but failed at most. Overall there wasn't much defensive checking at all, just a struggle of keeping positioned.

Domingue game didnt shine, but stoped alot of shots.

To me Perlini, Keller, Duclair, Domi, Martinook, Hjalmarsson had most presense.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Well it was exciting. This team is young and will get better and will be fun to watch while they improve.

But they sure are a ways away from being competitive with this Ducks team if they arent playing an early pre-season level roster.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Well it was exciting. This team is young and will get better and will be fun to watch while they improve.

But they sure are a ways away from being competitive with this Ducks team if they arent playing an early pre-season level roster.

This Ducks squad included almost exclusively bottom six forwards and had a shabby defense. It was better than I expected but still there's no excuse for losing against a Duck squad who was minus almost all of their top players (Eaves, Kesler, Getzlaf, Vatanen and Lindholm)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The **** Goligoski? Every god damn time you feel pressure you launch it around the boards to a waiting duck.

Terrible play

I kinda feel like we're in for this all season. Yotes will either be winning 5-4 or losing 5-4. Still beats what we've had the last 5 years :laugh:

The name of the game is winning. I would rather win 2-1 than lose 5-4.

So now the kids learn what happens when you take four foot off the pedal

I'm not blaming the kids on this one. The vets made the horrible mistakes. Gogo and Demers make rookie mistakes.

Trying to look on the bright side, Gogo has assists on what, six of the eight goals in this game?

That's funny.

Why the no look back hand to a duck at the point, Demers?

All he had to do was take it behind the net and regroup. Terrible mistake.

A thousand times yes. Even as we give up another one.

IF that was DT coaching you would have been all over him. A loss is a loss, simple as that. Our D was terrible after we went up 4-1. LD while good for the most part, didn't stop the puck when he had to.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This one hurts, but a bunch of positives. Demers did not impress me tonight. I hope that changes.

Exactly. I would rather this happen now than later in the year. I liked the kids, I would liked to see a lot more from Crouse and Fischer. When Strome gets that first goal look out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad