GDT: Game 1 - Columbus at Nashville - 1/14 8:00 PM

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Mikhail Grigorenko led all forwards in TOI. Weird.

He did impress me with last night. I was also kinda liked Domi. While his penalty wasn't good, I wouldn't call it a terrible penalty. Seen players make that move with accidently catching the other player. I am sure we will see Domi do it this year. Just unfortunate.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I just cannot agree with this. How isn't 16 the style of player we typically have? Genuinely curious what your answer to this question is.

He's known for getting under the skin of players, a great shot blocker, tough, great at taking costly penalties at the worst times, greasiness, and even an awful faceoff taker. All of these define 'blue jackets hockey', atleast to me.

To be fair, I was pumped to get Domi and still am, yes even after one game! I know you aren't anti-Domi (atleast yet), but I'm just saying. He's embraced the trade from the moment it happened and it's evident in his interviews that he is thrilled to be here.

Sure, they've had multiple practices and multiple scrimmages but a regular season game is a regular season game. The chemistry will take time. It's not like Santa, where it just shows up over night. Domi will be just fine.

My reasoning isn’t because he’s a skilled player and Torts can’t coach them.

My reason is Torts is a very structure based coach. He talks about it all the time. Domi as a player is a loose cannon. A renegade. He likes to have free flowing ability and creativity and less attention to detail on his head. With torts that won’t fly, even Panarin had to have some structure to his game. My concern is Domi is going to do his best to fit into the system, and he’s going to get filled up on information and not play his game because he doesn’t want to be the only one not playing the system. And since he’s not playing his game, his free flowing offensive style, he will struggle and frustration will come. Plus I really don’t think he’s going to work out at center. There’s a far better chance of this working out in some way if he’s a winger imo.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
My reasoning isn’t because he’s a skilled player and Torts can’t coach them.

My reason is Torts is a very structure based coach. He talks about it all the time. Domi as a player is a loose cannon. A renegade. He likes to have free flowing ability and creativity and less attention to detail on his head. With torts that won’t fly, even Panarin had to have some structure to his game. My concern is Domi is going to do his best to fit into the system, and he’s going to get filled up on information and not play his game because he doesn’t want to be the only one not playing the system. And since he’s not playing his game, his free flowing offensive style, he will struggle and frustration will come. Plus I really don’t think he’s going to work out at center. There’s a far better chance of this working out in some way if he’s a winger imo.

You definitely could be right, but Torts has talked a lot lately about trying to free up that structure this season and let the players' offensive instincts drive offense. Time will tell how that goes, but certainly not a good-looking start =/

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Edmonton fans:
Drooling over McDavid taking over the game scoring a hat trick

Montreal fans:
Drooling over Suzuki being 1C and Romanov instantly playing top 4 minutes

Minnesota fans:
Drooling over Kaprizov winning a game for them

Columbus fans:
We’re happy Boone finally scored a breakaway

Reactions: Gains

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Such as ?

58 is slow and bad, 44 is slow.

In the last six games against teams in this division (Tampa series + NSH game), they've played ~133 minutes at 5v5. They've been on the ice for 3 goals scored and 11 scored against. And if you like underlying metrics, their xG% in those six games is somewhere around 34%.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Who isn't 4-0 against Detroit over the last couple of seasons?

Montreal. They're 0-4.

I just cannot agree with this. How isn't 16 the style of player we typically have? Genuinely curious what your answer to this question is.

He's known for getting under the skin of players, a great shot blocker, tough, great at taking costly penalties at the worst times, greasiness, and even an awful faceoff taker. All of these define 'blue jackets hockey', atleast to me.

To be fair, I was pumped to get Domi and still am, yes even after one game! I know you aren't anti-Domi (atleast yet), but I'm just saying. He's embraced the trade from the moment it happened and it's evident in his interviews that he is thrilled to be here.

Sure, they've had multiple practices and multiple scrimmages but a regular season game is a regular season game. The chemistry will take time. It's not like Santa, where it just shows up over night. Domi will be just fine.

Naw Domi is a skill player and also not a diligent type. Being a chippy guy that takes penalties doesn't make him a typical Blue Jacket. For one, the Jackets don't take more penalties than most. They also all have to have a consistent battle effort all over the ice, including in the defensive zone. Domi looks like he's making a valiant effort and the next battle he doesn't try at all.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

In the last six games against teams in this division (Tampa series + NSH game), they've played ~133 minutes at 5v5. They've been on the ice for 3 goals scored and 11 scored against. And if you like underlying metrics, their xG% in those six games is somewhere around 34%.

That's very much the opposite of the stats they put up in the much larger sample prior to that.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
You can see who's still getting over having had covid….which they got at a birthday party hosted by a guy on the team in the fall.

Stamina will be an issue going forward around the league with the guys who have had covid.
Myles Garrett had covid earlier and I believe he still is feeling effects from it. If that is the case with Columbus, it may be a while before these guys don't feel the after effects.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You can see who's still getting over having had covid….which they got at a birthday party hosted by a guy on the team in the fall.

Stamina will be an issue going forward around the league with the guys who have had covid.

Who had covid? Whose party?

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area

That’s a weird sample selection. Why didn’t you mention the Toronto series where both were absolutely brilliant?
You’re also missing the part that they’re getting most defensive starts and tougher opposition

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
That’s a weird sample selection. Why didn’t you mention the Toronto series where both were absolutely brilliant?
You’re also missing the part that they’re getting most defensive starts and tougher opposition

If they're bad, maybe they shouldn't be getting those assignments?

Good thing 1/7th of our schedule is against Toronto and not Tampa. Wait.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
the whole team looked pretty gassed to me

It's also pretty presumptuous that everyone (or anyone...) on the team who had Covid would be impacted long-term. It affects all people differently. Matthews didn't seem too affected in the bubble. McDavid didn't seem too affected last night. Maybe they're just trying to get back into shape with no exhibition games and/or still recovering from a Torts camp. (And that's if there were any stamina issues at all. I didn't notice any, but it also wasn't something I was looking for, so maybe there were.)

Last edited:

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Focussing on the positives, I admit I was pleasantly surprised by Grigs last night. Could be a bargain signing.

Domi? Well, I'll wait a few more games before commenting.

Reactions: Monk

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2