GDT: Game 1 - Columbus at Nashville - 1/14 8:00 PM

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I just don’t see this partnership working out. He’s not the style of player we typically have. I know Panarin wasn’t either, but Domi isn’t Panarin.

I don't know why there would be any expectation that Panarin wouldn't fit, given the attributes we know he has. He wins his battles in all three zones. You do that, you fit on any team. Domi supposedly only gives full effort on half the ice.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
1st period was good 2nd and 3rd awful. Not going to wake up for next match.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
The only time I noticed Bemstrom tonight were times where I was asking myself why he was afraid to play hockey tonight.
2UDAbBS.gif

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
You give up so early ?

After JWC started have been watching sport for 90% of the nights. So better sleep sometime. Next monday Det vs CBJ starts here in 7pm so thats going to be next one. Not giving up about CBJ for one loss but body and mind are giving up :oops:

Reactions: Monk

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think some of us need to go to bed and wake up refreshed. Already claiming the trade is a loss. Already claiming the season's over. It's one game. Tomorrow's (well... Saturday's) a new day.

We're just doing our part to keep meaningful team traditions going.

It's going to take a lot more panicking and wailing for us to catch up with last year's performance after that 7-2 loss to the Pens at the start of the year.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I'm in the large swath of people who have no access to the games on TV, so all I know about the game is what I've read here. But, on Domi's ice time:

Domi had 12:57. He took a penalty in the third, and then, if I'm not mistaken, Torts benched him. Maybe sending a message. We've seen him do that in the past. Well, if not for that penalty, he probably winds up around 15:00, which puts him squarely in the middle of the pack. So, I'm not really understanding the hand-wringing like Torts has already decided he sucks.

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
I just don’t see this partnership working out. He’s not the style of player we typically have. I know Panarin wasn’t either, but Domi isn’t Panarin.

I just cannot agree with this. How isn't 16 the style of player we typically have? Genuinely curious what your answer to this question is.

He's known for getting under the skin of players, a great shot blocker, tough, great at taking costly penalties at the worst times, greasiness, and even an awful faceoff taker. All of these define 'blue jackets hockey', atleast to me.

To be fair, I was pumped to get Domi and still am, yes even after one game! I know you aren't anti-Domi (atleast yet), but I'm just saying. He's embraced the trade from the moment it happened and it's evident in his interviews that he is thrilled to be here.

Sure, they've had multiple practices and multiple scrimmages but a regular season game is a regular season game. The chemistry will take time. It's not like Santa, where it just shows up over night. Domi will be just fine.

Last edited:

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
The biggest turning point of this game for me was the save Saros made on Grigs'. It was subtle but so clutch. Could've been a 2-0 game for us but nah. Hats off to Saros. There's a reason why Pekka didn't start opening night, John Hynes is smiling about that.

not that Korpi played terrible, but I'd bet my bottom dollar that Elvis gets the nod Saturday night.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
2 incredibly softies... 100% ok to put this on him...he was square to both, and didn't save them
32 saves on 34 shots, 2GA, .941 save percentage. It is not ok to put this on Korpisalo, that line would win a lot of games with an average offence, doesn't matter how soft the goals are. Korpi made some nice stops in the first that kept the game close. Put the blame where it belongs, on the guys that are supposed to score.

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
32 saves on 34 shots, 2GA, .941 save percentage. It is not ok to put this on Korpisalo, that line would win a lot of games with an average offence, doesn't matter how soft the goals are. Korpi made some nice stops in the first that kept the game close. Put the blame where it belongs, on the guys that are supposed to score.

retweet.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

It's going to be interesting with Domi and Torts. I mentioned in off season about how he is very streaky and we all know Torts doesn't let guys ride out slumps, he slides them down or puts them in the press box.
I hope Torts realizes he needs to play, as long as he's here.

As for the criticism of Korpi. We've been dealing with this since Steve Mason. Our offense sucks-out-loud. Then we blame losses on our goalie letting in 2 goals. Listen if he's giving up 4 a night then fire away. But the fundamental problem with the CBJ (and has been for most of 20 years) is the lack of skill and execution in the offensive zone. For us to win we have to score 3-4 goals a night.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Good lord , this place is filled with a bunch of chicken littles . When a goalie has a .941 save % , even if it’s a shot he could / should have saved , he was far from the problem . He played well enough to win . Torts is known to skate his guys into the ground with conditioning with his camps , everything was escalated , I’m sure a lot of the players are still trying to find their legs , get into game shape etc . It’s just hilarious to read all these declarations after 1 game , offense sucks , we lost the trade , 2nd pair defense is a problem ... on and on . Maybe the other team just executed better ? Nashville has a good team , playing at home , and got momentum , bottom line . We have lots of new faces , that have practiced together for what 2 weeks ? I’m not sure if Nashville was using a trap last night or what , but to me it sure seemed like we dumped the puck a ton , instead of crisp passing . And Domis penalty ... at least he was being aggressive and trying to create offense , Cam , and Nick were invisible most of the game .

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad