GDT: Game 1 - Colorado Avalanche vs Minnesota Wild - 7PM MT. PART II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Duchene has been getting too much flack for all he's done the past few seasons. A bad 2/3 season does not make a bad player, especially a young player. If it persists another 10-20 games then we can be concerned.

Ambisextrous

Apr 17, 2012
Halifax
Soderberg 20% on the draw, ouch.

I wont list my negatives really, since everyones said what I thought, but: Loved what I saw offensively at least. Zadorov had some pretty good adv stats, and I actually really liked Comeau with Duchene. EJ finally found his partner!!!!!! I honestly didn't think Holden was that awful but I do want Gormley to see some time.

CQ4udxuUYAEk_V3.jpg:large

Duchene line had good underlying numbers, whole lot of good that did them....

hold3n

Registered Loser
Jul 15, 2011
London, ON
I just don't see the need to find a scapegoat for every bad loss and that's what this feels like.

Agreed. Why waste so much energy being angry about something (like line-ups or player TOI) you have no control over? The occasional sarcastic comment sure, go ahead... but the consistent and seemingly endless amounts of vitriol spewed about Guenin, Holden or now even Duchene is just uncalled for and ultimately pointless and exhausting.

Enjoy what you can about the game, ignore the rest - you'll be happier.

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado
Agreed. Why waste so much energy being angry about something (like line-ups or player TOI) you have no control over? The occasional sarcastic comment sure, go ahead... but the consistent and seemingly endless amounts of vitriol spewed about Guenin, Holden or now even Duchene is just uncalled for and ultimately pointless and exhausting.

Enjoy what you can about the game, ignore the rest - you'll be happier.

Seriously. It's Just Hockey.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
I swear this board picks up new bipolar hyperbolic synicysts on the quarterly. Are y'all even true AVS fans or just trolls in disguise?! First game of the damn season. Chill

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Awful collapse, but it's just one regular season game. The Avs will get over that, I'm not worried.

I'm a bit worried by player usage however.

EJ and Beauch need to be at 25min and I'd like to see Grigo, Gormley and Stuart inserted.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
I swear this board picks up new bipolar hyperbolic synicysts on the quarterly. Are y'all even true AVS fans or just trolls in disguise?! First game of the damn season. Chill

people express disappointment in different ways.

Why else would you join a forum to talk about them?

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012

Disappointment is one thing. Overreacting is another.

I can understand the disappointment and frustration. Some may even be disgusted. But there were some major positives.

1. Beauchemin. That first pair looks dynamic.

2. 4th line (even with McLeod).

3. All of the top guys scored, Iginla, Landeskog, Johnson. Even Mitchell too.

4. MacKinnon looked good.

5. The breakout worked much better in the first period. Accurate, tape to tape passing and avoiding the Wild's trap which the Avs had so much trouble with the last two seasons.

Yeah, last night's game sucked. But they'll be back. Just remember all of the whining about the lack of scoring before last night's game.

After a few games I'd like Roy to change up the 3rd line. Bring in Grigorenko on the LW and move Rantenan to RW. Try Gormley with Barrie.

People have already dissected the bad so I'll just leave it at that.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica

Scroll right three words in the same sentence of the bolded words... All I'm saying is that if your an AVS fan you should understand that they are not a perennial cup contender. **** they're barely a playoff bubble team in recent years. They were clearly headed nowhere very fast under the old regime and then sakic and company came in to completely overhaul their identity, their philosophy and their future. What drives me up the wall is all the "the world is ending" fans defecating all over the forums because the team isn't excellent overnight. Makes these boards nearly unbearable to sift through.

You would think with a new season there would be a refresh button where everyone could be a little more optimistic, but it's almost like last season never ended and this season is just an extension of it...

Once more I reiterate they've played ONE game. Varly didn't bail out their **** play this time. More times than not he probably will.
I was honestly impressed with how lethal all those wild shots were. We won't see that every time the AVS go flat. It was a sniper show.
For how many great posts and how much great information is provided by people on these boards, it's just a shame how much crap is on here too :shakehead

-rant over :rant:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yeah I get we are all here for the purpose of discussing, analyzing, venting. We all care about the team, they upset and frustrate us. Nobody is happy and we are going to express that. However, we MUST keep in mind this is a community and it's only going to work with respect to each other. I understand venting but please keep in mind other people have to read and respond to it. We'll make it through this year together if it kills me ;)

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Yeah I get we are all here for the purpose of discussing, analyzing, venting. We all care about the team, they upset and frustrate us. Nobody is happy and we are going to express that. However, we MUST keep in mind this is a community and it's only going to work with respect to each other. I understand venting but please keep in mind other people have to read and respond to it. We'll make it through this year together if it kills me ;)

Masochist :laugh:

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica

Haha this place is like an Alcoholics Anonymous for Avalanche fans...
My names Steve and I am an AVS fan. I know they're bad for my health, and my addiction to them has soured several relationships in my life, but dammit I can't stop watching AVS hockey:laugh:

Relaxedriley

Slightly Sober
Mar 1, 2012
Oregon
I told myself before the game that I would be happy if we won, if we were the better team, if we scored a few goals, or if the powerplay was good. I took a shower and went to bed immediately after the game....I was not happy. :laugh:

In hindsight, I am fairly optimistic. During the first period we were the better team. I know that is disputed by some stats lovers, but I remain unconvinced. The second was ok. The third period was a snuff film.

This team can't play scared. When they do, the suckage snowballs. The cynic in me points to last year and laughs, but I still have faith these boys can strike a balance between Ozolinsh style aggressiveness and Greg Zanon gap control.

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
After watching Beauchemin for so long in Anaheim, I was ecstatic when he signed with the Avs. He is a great #2 defensemen and perfect for EJ. You guys are going to like him even more as the season goes on. He is just a solid player who makes smart plays consistently.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Duchene has been getting too much flack for all he's done the past few seasons. A bad 2/3 season does not make a bad player, especially a young player. If it persists another 10-20 games then we can be concerned.

I don't dislike Duchene, but it's especially frustrating that a number of the weaknesses he had when he came into the league, are still effecting him now.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm not gonna get too worried about Duchene after one simple gaffe (Sergei Gonchar had a far, far worse one in the playoffs way back when) and overall bad game. Yes, there are times I just wish his development would take that next level--after all he appears by all accounts to be one of the most dedicated, level-headed, and hardest-working members of this squad. But each player is unique, as is his development curve, so I'm not worried. It is a shame because he has shown so much loyalty to the fanbase and team, I desperately want him to take it to that next level five minutes ago.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Duchene has the skills/talent of a first line centre but he has the consistency/mental ability of a 2nd liner. It bums me out because he's my favourite player but he'll be fine if Mac can develop into that consistent 1st liner and give Duchene some easier minutes. Hishon didn't pan out and ROR/Stastny wanted to abondon ship but we're still alright at centre in the long-term.

Also, that EJ/Beauch paring is nice and all but EJ isn't gonna be able to get 25+ minutes a night to begin with every night if it's usually with Beauch, the guy is old and got gassed out at the end of last season. Still glad we have him though.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Duchene has the skills/talent of a first line centre but he has the consistency/mental ability of a 2nd liner. It bums me out because he's my favourite player but he'll be fine if Mac can develop into that consistent 1st liner and give Duchene some easier minutes. Hishon didn't pan out and ROR/Stastny wanted to abondon ship but we're still alright at centre in the long-term.

I think Dutchy's proven he can be a legit first line guy, the question of his ceiling remains though. I'm guessing he lands firmly in the "very good but not quite elite" category, which is fine. Not every team can be spoiled rotten with a Sakic/Forsberg tandem. I do, however, kinda expect MacKinnon to reach elite status. Time will tell.

One thing's for sure...we have yet to see Matt Duchene line up alongside wingers that truly complement him for a full season, or at least most of a season. We've seen brief snippets here and there (Fleischmann, Stewart when he was good) but for the most part we've never seen a top-flight talent still in his prime play on Duchene's wing...please correct me if I'm wrong here anyone.

I kinda wish the Avs would

Also, that EJ/Beauch paring is nice and all but EJ isn't gonna be able to get 25+ minutes a night to begin with every night if it's usually with Beauch, the guy is old and got gassed out at the end of last season. Still glad we have him though.

Well...that's the thing. Avs shouldn't need to use them that much, not when they have Barrie and Zadorov rounding out that bottom four...with maybe Gormley and Stuart in there. But when you put clearly inferior pieces like Holden and Guenin, two guys you have to shelter the living **** out of for fear of them being exposed on a nightly basis, then yes, you're already over-relying on two guys who simply can't handle that level of workload.

I'm not expecting this team to contend...but I think they could be competitive if they ice a competitive lineup. Last night's lineup was not competitive. And it could (potentially) be with two, maybe three substitutions.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Can we just make a venting/frustration thread? I mean, the hardest thing you'll have to do is make a new thread once it reaches 1000 posts every other day :laugh:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Thats just pathetic..And he got tossed twice in a 5 minute span.

This infuriates me. Linesman never should have been given the power to toss the centre from the draw. The only time it should ever happen is if a winger blatantly jumps in early. Otherwise, leave them there. The coach has him taking the draw for a reason, no need to throw them out, especially since a lot of linesman take their sweet time dropping it and make it look like they're about to drop it but don't, which can trick centres.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad