GDT: Game 1 - Colorado Avalanche vs Minnesota Wild - 7PM MT. PART II

Status
Not open for further replies.

trip trancid

May 23, 2015
I always propose Duchene for OEL but it's just a joke, PHX won't do that in million years anyway unless Avs add more.

But I would strongly consider trading Duchene for a 2nd line 2 way center which the Avs badly need and lack since departure of ROR and Stastny.

Trade Duchene now while he has value because if his production keeps dropping every year so will his value.

This is probably an uncomfortable topic for most fans to confront. The masses are almost always against it until it's too late. And the masses almost always later say, they should have traded him sooner.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Does Duchene get welcomed back into the core when he scores twice on Saturday?

Yikes. Let's ditch Barrie and Varlamov while we're at it too. It is clear Varlamov is mentally weak and will never come up big in the third.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
We're trading Duchene after a 4-3 loss in the first game of the season?

trip trancid

May 23, 2015
Does Duchene get welcomed back into the core when he scores twice on Saturday?

Yikes. Let's ditch Barrie and Varlamov while we're at it too. It is clear Varlamov is mentally weak and will never come up big in the third.

Once again. Duchene is supposed to play well. Hes tha highest paid forward on the team. And when he's not playing well, he's not supposed to play so poorly that he greatly contributes to losing games. He's not getting paid 6 million dollars fir zero sum contribution.

There's very little growth. There's very little ability to adapt to circumstances. And when it's not working for him, games like last night are not acceptable.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Once again. Duchene is supposed to play well. Hes tha highest paid forward on the team. And when he's not playing well, he's not supposed to play so poorly that he greatly contributes to losing games. He's not getting paid 6 million dollars fir zero sum contribution.

There's very little growth. There's very little ability to adapt to circumstances. And when it's not working for him, games like last night are not acceptable.

Okay, so what's the excuse for Varlamov who continuously gets lit up by the Wild? He didn't contribute to that loss, or game 7, by constantly getting sniped on top corner?

Some of you put way too much stock into one game.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
For God sakes, it's one game! Duchene will be fine.

I wasn't proposing Duchene trade based on last game, I'm just saying the Avs don't have a two way forward, specially at center since ROR and Stastny left, and now they got two playmakers Duchene and MacKinnon. What if Duchene would get a good solid two way center who could put up 50 to 70 points in return, making MacKinnon the #1 center.

Duchene has great speed and flashiness , but there is no stability in his game and he's hard to play with, that's why it's hard to find wingers for Duchene

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Even if they have been in the league a while, they are still young in human years. 22 is still young no matter what. I'm not saying it like they can just get a free pass, it's more about expectations. Pretty much the media around here has told them if they aren't as good as the glory years then nobody in this town is going to care about them and it's true. That's the standard which they are trying to live up to everyday. This team was nothing two years ago, a few nice pieces and nothing else. Nothing in the pipeline and nothing around them. They have to walk before they can run but there's so much pressure because they've wasted the last 10 years.

It is fair to wonder at what level Duchene is going to be at for the bulk of his career. It's probably best if MacK becomes the 1C and takes the pressure off of Duchene to be the next Sakic, I think he's felt that since the day he came into this league. He will probably play better in that 2C role. I also think playing with a Iginla affects him too. Just because the team might have to manage him a bit doesn't mean he's worthless. This is what a smart org does, they know how to get the best out of their players. Some players don't need as much massaging, that's just how it is.

I've bought in to see where the core goes. It won't last forever. Duchene, Varly's contracts will be up first, we'll know a lot more by then. But for now what really can we do but just see what happens. It's not like this is a contender that's being mismanaged, it's still in the cleanup stage from a 10 year long dumpster fire.

I don't know, I feel like at a certain stage in your NHL career games like the one Duchene had last night just can't happen. It's ok to have a bad stretch, everyone does even Sid, but last night wasn't just a bad game for Dutchy. He had a deer-in-the-headlights look going on all night and looked lost, like he didn't belong in the NHL. That just isn't what I'd expect from a 6-going-on-7 year NHL player.

The pressure is there to live up to the standards of the team that moved here from Quebec but at the same time, Denver or just Colorado in general isn't a pressure-filled market. If Dutchy struggles with the pressure of playing for the Avs I'd hate to imagine his psyche if he ever played for the Leafs, Canadiens, Oilers, Rangers, Hawks, etc, where there's a ton more public pressure. We've got to hope MacKinnon can make the leap to 1C as soon as possible in order to relieve Duchene of any added pressure he feels to carry this team because that's when he's arguably at his worst.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Duchene has great speed and flashiness , but there is no stability in his game and he's hard to play with, that's why it's hard to find wingers for Duchene

Other than Flash, Mueller, McGinn, O'Reilly, Parenteau, and what looks to be like Comeau, yes it is hard for him to find chemistry with wingers.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I don't know, I feel like at a certain stage in your NHL career games like the one Duchene had last night just can't happen. It's ok to have a bad stretch, everyone does even Sid, but last night wasn't just a bad game for Dutchy. He had a deer-in-the-headlights look going on all night and looked lost, like he didn't belong in the NHL. That just isn't what I'd expect from a 6-going-on-7 year NHL player.

The pressure is there to live up to the standards of the team that moved here from Quebec but at the same time, Denver or just Colorado in general isn't a pressure-filled market. If Dutchy struggles with the pressure of playing for the Avs I'd hate to imagine his psyche if he ever played for the Leafs, Canadiens, Oilers, Rangers, Hawks, etc, where there's a ton more public pressure. We've got to hope MacKinnon can make the leap to 1C as soon as possible in order to relieve Duchene of any added pressure he feels to carry this team because that's when he's arguably at his worst.

I dont get it he can have a bad game or cant he?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I dont get it he can have a bad game or cant he?

That's not what I meant to say. It's ok for players to have bad stretches or a bad game every so often if you're supposed to be the caliber of Duchene, but that's not what he had last night. I don't know what kind of game that was but -3 with the amount of turnovers he had and lack of both awareness and effort he showed, calling it a bad game wouldn't do it justice lol. He was god awful, and I hope he can recover quickly and not let it get in his head

Maybe the caffeine is starting to kick in

trip trancid

May 23, 2015
Okay, so what's the excuse for Varlamov who continuously gets lit up by the Wild? He didn't contribute to that loss, or game 7, by constantly getting sniped on top corner?

Some of you put way too much stock into one game.

Dude, nice try but deflecting blame just isn't going to work.

Trinstin

Oct 30, 2009
Denver, CO
Fortunately Duchene can have a rough first game and his fan base is perfectly understanding that just last season he was one of the only Avs who showed up during the first 20 or so games before he burned out. I'm glad that this fan base can cut him a little bit of slack.

This team is looking good... Just need to stay away from the Wild somehow in the playoffs. :(

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I just don't see the need to find a scapegoat for every bad loss and that's what this feels like.

Sure the media here will never rival those markets but ask yourself, what's worse; to be hated or forgotten?

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
That's not what I meant to say. It's ok for players to have bad stretches or a bad game every so often if you're supposed to be the caliber of Duchene, but that's not what he had last night. I don't know what kind of game that was but -3 with the amount of turnovers he had and lack of both awareness and effort he showed, calling it a bad game wouldn't do it justice lol. He was god awful, and I hope he can recover quickly and not let it get in his head

Maybe the caffeine is starting to kick in

LOL I knew it! im like "someone is feeling it with the commenting right now"

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Dude, nice try but deflecting blame just isn't going to work.

Duchene had a terrible game. There's no deflecting that. There also isn't the need to talk about trading him one game into an 82 game season.

Unless you were beating this drum as well when he almost won the calder, had 67 points as a sophomore, 40 points in 48 games, And then 70 points in 70 games.

Two bad seasons and one bad game isn't enough to erase all that success.

Trinstin

Oct 30, 2009
Denver, CO
I just don't see the need to find a scapegoat for every bad loss and that's what this feels like.

Sure the media here will never rival those markets but ask yourself, what's worse; to be hated or forgotten?

I'm honestly just getting sick of seeing so many of our good posters wasting their time whining about the same exact things over and over again. I'm not even talking about Duchene which has been in mostly this one thread, I'm talking about the mind numbing and constant complaining of Holden and Guenin, half of which is nothing but hyperbole.

Patrick Roy who honestly has the career to back up the fact that he knows more than anyone on this message board seems to think differently than some of you. I wonder which side is the wiser of the two?

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
It was nice watching Beauch for the first couple periods, like so thats what a vet D does out there, cool.

The play on the Landy goal was smart, and a couple things he did in the def zone i dont think any of the D have done besides EJ

trip trancid

May 23, 2015
Duchene had a terrible game. There's no deflecting that. There also isn't the need to talk about trading him one game into an 82 game season.

Unless you were beating this drum as well when he almost won the calder, had 67 points as a sophomore, 40 points in 48 games, And then 70 points in 70 games.

Two bad seasons and one bad game isn't enough to erase all that success.

I love it. The Duchene apologists try to deflect blame. Then, if that doesn't distract them, point to success 3-7 years ago. Even better than that, suggest that Duchene somehow had a good season last year because he played well during a 20 game stretch. This was actually suggested in this thread.

trip trancid

May 23, 2015
It was nice watching Beauch for the first couple periods, like so thats what a vet D does out there, cool.

The play on the Landy goal was smart, and a couple things he did in the def zone i dont think any of the D have done besides EJ

Yes, let's focus on the positives. There's no way this was worse than last year when the didn't score. I don't care what anyone says. For this team to be successful, they'll need offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad