Post-Game Talk: Game 1: Caps vs. Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caps Circle

Jan 19, 2015
Chantilly, VA
This is such a ridiculous notion. Yes, it's only one game, but we've literally seen this play out multiple times now. Pessimism is very valid at the moment.

Other than Montreal, I have NEVER seen the Caps so dominant, ESPECIALLY against the Penguins.

BTW, Caps were 8-1 in Game 1's against the Pens. The Pens were 8-1 against the Caps overall. One game has absolutely no predictive power. The Caps were great, if they continue to be great, they will win the series. Plain and simple.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
This is such a ridiculous notion. Yes, it's only one game, but we've literally seen this play out multiple times now. Pessimism is very valid at the moment.

This is way beyond pessimism. I could give two ***** about the past. Live in the now, don't cower in the corner because of history.

maybam

Mar 30, 2010
Other than Montreal, I have NEVER seen the Caps so dominant, ESPECIALLY against the Penguins.

BTW, Caps were 8-1 in Game 1's against the Pens. The Pens were 8-1 against the Caps overall. One game has absolutely no predictive power. The Caps were great, if they continue to be great, they will win the series. Plain and simple.

Yep, this game felt much more like the Habs series than the Pens series from last year.

I would say I'm optimistic about this one, but we lost both series :laugh:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Honestly don't know how to feel. Hate that we lost but we've won a lot of game 1s against that team in the past. Guess I'm just still anxious.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It is not over by a long shot but they need to show a little urgency here. Even if they win the next game, they are going to have to steal a game in Pittsburgh or they will be down 3 games to 1.

Some positive signs in this game, to be sure, but it is critical to win the next game. Hoping they get it done. :)

Absolutely it's critical to win the next one.

WE WILL.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Honestly don't know how to feel. Hate that we lost but we've won a lot of game 1s against that team in the past. Guess I'm just still anxious.

Anxious is a great way to describe it....this year is about breaking the mold for me. 8-1 in game ones and what's that gotten us? Win the next one and steal home ice back in Pittsburgh.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I have zero expectations that the Caps will win this series. zero power plays isn't really a good sign. But knowing our team and how they can be, I would suggest that they are in a more comfortable position behind than ahead.

I also am reminded on so much of the pre game doom and gloom. The Pens were too fast and the Caps couldn't compete with them and....From what ive seen the Caps sure as hell did compete with them. Looks to me like they took it too them.

They were down 2-0 and came back. Being down 1-0 in games is not a big deal. Winning a game in Pittsburgh is not a big deal. I mean...they cant get fewer power plays.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
On a positive note, I liked what I saw from #88. He was giving us easy entries and creating scoring chances for everyone. #74 is getting his game back, that's another positive. It's a shame #44 got more ice time than #88 though.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
No. If you make the decision to take your man, you commit and take him. So first of all, it's a reach to say he should have taken the man instead of playing the 2-on-1. And second, he did a ****-poor job "taking" his man. Get your stick in position and hit the guy like a man. Don't half-ass it.

And given that he's a guy that routinely hits like a girl, playing the 2-on-1 was the better choice for him.

Hell, even falling down comically would have forced a much tougher pass.

It wasn't a 2-on-1. It was 2-on-2. Shattenkirk didn't anticipate Orpik ****ing lollygagging at center ice and being beaten by 3 steps.

No idea how you put that on Shattenkirk, unless you just have an aversion to his type of player.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
On a positive note, I liked what I saw from #88. He was giving us easy entries and creating scoring chances for everyone. #74 is getting his game back, that's another positive. It's a shame #44 got more ice time than #88 though.

Orpik played nearly 2 minutes more on the pk than Schmidt did. That's the difference there.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
First Crosby goal was Niskanen's fault. It was also stoppable. It hit Holtby.

2nd Crosby goal was Holtby's fault. Bad rebound.

Bonino goal is on Orpik. Probably should have just tripped him for a penalty shot after he got beat.

To my drunken eye, the Penguisn looked like he more dangerous team because their chances were better.

Fleury stood on his head. Capitals probably should have tied in the last 10, and probably scored the first goal (Oshie in the first).

They will go as far as Ovechkin - Backstrom - Oshie takes them.

Schmidt was the Caps 2nd best defensemen. He plays exactly like Brian Campbell.

The Caps need to play a simpler game and get the puck off their stick, towards the net quicker.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
If the Caps were playing any other team than Pittsburgh, I would feel fine after this game. Maybe even hopeful. But it *is* Pittsburgh, the defending Cup champs, and there's no such thing as moral victories. Outplaying the Penguins and losing the series is entirely possible.

I wish Saturday was in like 3 hours.

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
I was at the game. Optimistic leaving but now that I'm home, idk.

Like someone said earlier, at some point you have to finish. This team struggles with that. Pens have proven they can win without playing their best because they execute better than anyone. Bonino does not miss his chance. Crosby does not. We leave plenty on the ice.

2 goals isn't gonna cut it even if we have 68844849 shots on net. Our star goalie can't make mistakes like that.

Game 2, have to have results

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Orpik played nearly 2 minutes more on the pk than Schmidt did. That's the difference there.

Trotz cut the bench and only rolled his first 3 forward lines for a good portion of the game. He should go down to 9 forwards and 4 Ds in critical situations like when 44-22 doesn't get it done.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
For me, Orpik is pretty low on the scapegoat scale. Mainly, because he's a known quantity. We knew he was slow, we knew the 3rd pairing was iffy against fast teams, so... it's not exactly surprising that they got caught. For what it's worth, it's not like they were leaking chances left and right all game, so... again, overall it was neither unexpected nor a particularly bad performance overall. As far as single egregious mistakes, Orpik certainly wasn't the only guy who made one today.

The other thing is, there are no real alternatives to Orpik. Alzner? There was a stretch of games in the regular season where Alzner & Carlson allowed a breakaway for something like 3 or 4 straight games. At least Orpik takes a physical toll on people. In choosing the lesser evil, I think I'd go with Orpik at this point.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Good game. Wish for a better result but you can't question the effort.

Some notes.

-Holtby hasn't necessarily been a problem but he surely hasn't been a solution.
-We don't have a 4th line. All these years of building up depth and we are missing a whole line.
-Orpik just so happens to find himself on the wrong end of game deciding plays very often. I would love to see what Shattenkirk is capable of if he is not paired with Orpik.

+Did Pens get 10 good scoring chances this game? Maybe 2 in the last 30 minutes.
+Malking could have just as well not dressed. Kessel wasn't far behind him.
+3rd line is so close to breaking through. Just terrific game by them.
+Leafs must be a really hard team to hit, Pens are definitely not. Their D coughs up the puck at the first sign of contact.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Trotz cut the bench and only rolled his first 3 forward lines for a good portion of the game. He should go down to 9 forwards and 4 Ds in critical situations like when 44-22 doesn't get it done.

I think the 4th line and 3rd pairing should play reduced minutes, but nothing too crazy, especially early in the series.

Last edited:

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Good game. Wish for a better result but you can't question the effort.

Some notes.

-Holtby hasn't necessarily been a problem but he surely hasn't been a solution.
-We don't have a 4th line. All these years of building up depth and we are missing a whole line.
-Orpik just so happens to find himself on the wrong end of game deciding plays very often. I would love to see what Shattenkirk is capable of if he is not paired with Orpik.

+Did Pens get 10 good scoring chances this game? Maybe 2 in the last 30 minutes.
+Malking could have just as well not dressed. Kessel wasn't far behind him.
+3rd line is so close to breaking through. Just terrific game by them.
+Leafs must be a really hard team to hit, Pens are definitely not. Their D coughs up the puck at the first sign of contact.

I actually thought the 4th line was ok today. Not great or anything, but ate some minutes without really getting exposed. Not sure the Wilson-Connolly switch makes sense, but... if the 3rd line can get it going, I could live with the way the 4th line played today.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Connoly is killing the 4th line in my opinion. So many times Winnik and Beagle go into grind mode and Connolly just jacks up a shot. He's just killin' them. I also think Shattenkirk was much more engaged this game, I just really think he's not meshing with Orpik at all. Even though Carlson is starting to find his game, I'd really like to see 88 - 22 and 44 - 74 before they bring Alzner back. Though maybe 27 - 22 can be a solid line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad