Post-Game Talk: GAME 1 - BRUINS 3 Chicago 1

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
The coach who won't and can't change his style to suit his personnel you mean? At least Mr. Positive called them out as "average" and threw a jab at Sweneely for assembling a team with no team speed.
With all due respect, I must've missed that jab.

Trizz617

Jan 5, 2018
Boston/Quebec
soundcloud.com
He certainly does.

He's got the hands, the vision and the hockey smarts to be the next 1C (Sorry Charlie Coyle, I love you but you're not a 1C or 2C except when there's an injury.)

As far as I'm concerned Poitras is up for good. Yes he'll probably hit the wall at some point the way most rookies do and he does need to add some muscle. Other than that I see no point in sending him back to juniors.
Agreed! Tempering my expectations. He isnt the next Bergy or the next Kreci. He is the first, Matty P. Gonna be a blast for us to watch him develop. A jewel in the making.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Agreed! Tempering my expectations. He isnt the next Bergy or the next Kreci. He is the first, Matty P. Gonna be a blast for us to watch him develop. A jewel in the making.
He has potential to be a super 2nd round find and they could go out and get say a Lindholm in free agency if Flames don't get him signed by then.Bruins will have cash.
Too long between games. :banghead:
Bruins play 4 games in 6 days starting next Thursday.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
For those wondering about the hits count remember that it is not counted as a hit unless it results in possession change.
I don't think this is true.

If it were, we'd put a ton of value on those players who accumulate 200+ hits instead of the lazy argument of "If you're outhitting the other team, that means you're constantly chasing the puck"

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
In regard to counting hits, some of you may be interested in this article. It shows how incredibly inconsistent hits are recorded in the NHL. The differences in some arenas are pretty crazy. Pittsburgh gives out a hit if you merely breathe on someone the wrong way it appears, while Buffalo it looks like you have to instigate 10 or more fans beating on the glass after a hit for it to be recorded. Looks like takeaways are another stat very much arena-dependent.

Breaking down the inconsistencies in counting hits between different NHL arenas - The Win Column

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
In regard to counting hits, some of you may be interested in this article. It shows how incredibly inconsistent hits are recorded in the NHL. The differences in some arenas are pretty crazy. Pittsburgh gives out a hit if you merely breathe on someone the wrong way it appears, while Buffalo it looks like you have to instigate 10 or more fans beating on the glass after a hit for it to be recorded. Looks like takeaways are another stat very much arena-dependent.

Breaking down the inconsistencies in counting hits between different NHL arenas - The Win Column
Yep, pretty much.

Which is why It's weird when a "hit" requires a turnover - In that case, Radko Gudas essentially created 99000024824 turnovers over the past 3 seasons.

That said, the last game the Bruins played there were a TON of clear hits that weren't recorded.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Yep, pretty much.

Which is why It's weird when a "hit" requires a turnover - In that case, Radko Gudas essentially created 99000024824 turnovers over the past 3 seasons.

That said, the last game the Bruins played there were a TON of clear hits that weren't recorded.
If he played in Pittsburgh Gudas might hit the 500 hit mark for a season. Heck, even Heinen doubled his hits per game with the Pens. His last season in Boston (with a handful in Anaheim) he made 35 hits in 67 games. His final season in Pit he made 76 hits in 65 games, and that's assuming half of those games were away games.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
If he played in Pittsburgh Gudas might hit the 500 hit mark for a season. Heck, even Heinen doubled his hits per game with the Pens. His last season in Boston (with a handful in Anaheim) he made 35 hits in 67 games. His final season in Pit he made 76 hits in 65 games, and that's assuming half of those games were away games.
When I saw he was over a hit per game in Pittsburgh I knew something was seriously wrong.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
For those wondering about the hits count remember that it is not counted as a hit unless it results in possession change.
Interesting. I never considered that, as far as stats go. It's not something I put a lot of stock in (PJ or otherwise), but I suppose that makes sense. If you hit a guy and he maintains possession of the puck, it can't have been much of a hit!

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I am glad we won. I have been thinking about this game. IMO Carlos doing a blindside hit on Taylor Hall deserved an ejection because the NHL is trying to do away these type of hits. NHL put your actions where your mouth is.

The other thing I have been thinking about our new Captain and his disrespect towards Bedard with his move to welcome Bedard to the Boston Bruins. The Bruins will meet the Blackhawks on October 24 in Chicago. Does the Blachawks have anything planned to take out for the season one of our players?

• Wow
Reactions: BBruins

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I am glad we won. I have been thinking about this game. IMO Carlos doing a blindside hit on Taylor Hall deserved an ejection because the NHL is trying to do away these type of hits. NHL put your actions where your mouth is.

The other thing I have been thinking about our new Captain and his disrespect towards Bedard with his move to welcome Bedard to the Boston Bruins. The Bruins will meet the Blackhawks on October 24 in Chicago. Does the Blachawks have anything planned to take out for the season one of our players?

Anybody looking to do that has to get through Looch, and they don't have anyone who can get through Looch.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

Is this satire? Did you just post "disrespect" Bedard? On another note I hope they give Carlo a 81 game suspension

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

Disrespect? He was joking, lol.

The league will get the same questions and get the same generic answers. Marchands response was hilarious.

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
Pretty close to my thoughts on the game as well, but I was a little higher on Gryz's game, and less on Mac's.
In fact, I thought Gryz was the best D-man last night even though it seemed like he had to defend a 2-on-1 on every other shift.

Mac had a rough game, and kept getting caught up ice which lead to a bunch of odd man rushes for Chicago that Gryz( and Ullmark) had to defend. I'm not against him joining the offense, but one of the forwards needs to be alert to cover for him when he does.

Exhibit A:

It was nice that Poitras hustled to get back, but Gryz had already defended the play when he got there.

Gryz also made a nice defensive play when Carlo got beat near the wall:

On top of the excellent defense(even on 1:30 of PK), he also had a couple nice one-timers from the point, and some nice outlet passes that led to great scoring chances...but none of them went in so...-1.

Also, Luc looked awesome. It's so nice to have hockey back!

Myb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad