Post-Game Talk: Game 1, Battle of Florida: Panthers vs. Lightning - 7:30 pm ET in Sunrise

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
Still salty today. We had overcome everything in this game. But when it mattered, we shit the bed. Had a lead with 7 to go. You know a PK is coming. Kill that. You don't? Well...90 seconds to go...2 on 1, we don't bury it, Vasi save, goes the other way, no Bob save, we lose. The game was ours, and we couldn't finish. Let's hope they are as salty as I am and work harder next game.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
I don't care.

Kucherov and their PP was the difference in this game. It has nothing to do with the cap. Kucherov would have been there anyways.

We own these guys at 5 vs 5 even with their good depth. We just have to be better on the PK or better yet, staying out of the box.

You should. The league should be on an even playing field.

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
I know it's just frustration talking, but I still have a hard time believing people are actually whining about Yandle after this game. Dude had two assists, a +/- 0, and no penalties. If everyone played their role like that we would have won the game.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I know it's just frustration talking, but I still have a hard time believing people are actually whining about Yandle after this game. Dude had two assists, a +/- 0, and no penalties. If everyone played their role like that we would have won the game.

There's a bit more to it than what you find on the scoresheet.

Reactions: Cold Cat

DrMom9900

Nov 2, 2011

Did you notice the tempo of that game was a bit different than a regular season game? High tempo, extreme physicality, 0 margins of error? All these things, Yandle excels in being a detriment to. Yandle's game is too soft and he is too mistake-prone to be giving significant minutes in the playoffs against a team like TB. I've repeated this mantra time and time again. A team with Yandle can NOT be successful in the playoffs. As a player on the ice, he is the anti-thesis to the successful qualities of a victorious playoff team. He is soft, stupid, show-offy. This is serious time. Serious mode. The Yandle Gudas pairing will be the death of us.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

It's not frustration. It's the fact he is incapable of winning a puck battle.

On the PP, when Tampa clears Yandle is slow to retrieve. When he gets there and there is pressure, and there is as Tampa has game planned on attacking Yandle all year, he needs forward help just to get the puck.

5v5 it is the same thing. He can't win a battle, forward comes to help, but then defense is scrambled.

Look at the shift prior to the first pp goal Tampa scored. Yandle was there for the puck but he saw Tampa's F1 coming. Instead of maybe taking a hit or try to make a play, he just throws the puck behind the net even though the F1 still had a distance to go.

It results in a slow rolling puck with Gudas had no chance with as F2 was already on top of him. Scramble ensues, directly leads to a penalty.

Reactions: austropanther

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
First goal he assisted on was all Huby and Barky, second goal he assisted on was all Barky and Verhaege. Don't see why this stat still is relevant, given how the goals were scored.

If the only Dman on the ice on the PP cannot defend at all, there is an issue - see exhibit first TB goal. How can a 2-on-2 become a breakaway? Alone for that he should be benched.

The solid performance over the rest of the game does not undo that. Plus he makes too much money for what he brings, so he gets the Bob treatment... :sarcasm:

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Did you notice the tempo of that game was a bit different than a regular season game? High tempo, extreme physicality, 0 margins of error? All these things, Yandle excels in being a detriment to. Yandle's game is too soft and he is too mistake-prone to be giving significant minutes in the playoffs against a team like TB. I've repeated this mantra time and time again. A team with Yandle can NOT be successful in the playoffs. As a player on the ice, he is the anti-thesis to the successful qualities of a victorious playoff team. He is soft, stupid, show-offy. This is serious time. Serious mode. The Yandle Gudas pairing will be the death of us.

Yup. Like I said before the game, Yandle will single-handedly let the Bolts win this series. Q doesn't just let Yandle have couple of minutes as a 7th dman so he can continue his fraudulent streak but instead uses him bottom pairing dman in which he is incapable of performing at adequate level. Coupled with the fact that the Cats have to play against the refs too, this series is done if both of those continue to take place. Quite honestly, I'd rather have Connauton there instead of Yandle.

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
upload_2021-5-17_11-5-29.png

found this gem on reddit

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Staying out of the box can't be our only game plan. That's like saying "don't let them score goals." Yes, we obviously need to cut down on penalties, but we're going to end up taking penalties no matter what. The focus needs to be on getting the PK to be competent.

The bottom line is we aren't going to win jack shit allowing PP goals all over the place. The team looked horrid from a structural standpoint on the PK. Guys were running around trying to hit people and leaving Kuch/Stammer wide open.

Q needs to settle the team down a bit. Emotion is great, but it can go overboard and negatively impact our game. The Bennett charging call is an example of this. We have to play smarter than that.

Driedger should play game two. He has a calming influence on the team and has won games all year. Statistically he's on another planet compared to Bob. It's time.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz

Even the commentators say it could easily have been a major penalty. Yet we hear only talk about a Bennett hearing.

Just rewatched the Bennett hit. Should have been a major - retaliaton for the Coleman hit on Barky and charging - BUT: everybody missed the blatant cross-check in the face of Bennett at the blue line after this scene! The double standard starts to hurt

Yup. Like I said before the game, Yandle will single-handedly let the Bolts win this series. Q doesn't just let Yandle have couple of minutes as a 7th dman so he can continue his fraudulent streak but instead uses him bottom pairing dman in which he is incapable of performing at adequate level. Coupled with the fact that the Cats have to play against the refs too, this series is done if both of those continue to take place. Quite honestly, I'd rather have Connauton there instead of Yandle.
Would love to see Forsling as QB on the PP1, and Connauton take his place on the PK so that Forsling's minutes don't get too high

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
leaving Kuch/Stammer wide open.

The main issue is that guys like Bennett, Mush and Lomberg aren't targeting specifically Kucherov, Point and Stamkos. Bolts' AHL fodder like Rutta knows exactly that if Barkov is in close proximity then he has to take him out of the play. In comparison, our 4th liners are just letting the Bolts' best players have a field day out there while they are more concerned over Coleman, Moroon and Goodrow.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
A lot went wrong last night.

1. PK was terrible

2. Phantom goalie interference call. This f***ed us and I don't think the guys recovered mentally, which is why they gave up an easy one literally the next shift.

3. Bob was typical Bob. Good saves, but not enough to get the job done and at times was chaotic in his own net (Acciari saving his ass while he decided to go swimming, for example)

I'm still optimistic. It's game 1. Plenty of teams win game 1 and lose the series. We got this.

HogTown06

Jul 20, 2012
Hammonds Plains
Hey guys, Leafs fan here but was former FL resident with a soft spot for Florida teams. I feel for you guys after last night's brutal officiating, it was a fantastic game by both teams. Panthers have to try to stay out of the box, the Lightning PP is deadly. Good luck next game!

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
For all the people saying Judge should be in that for game 2:
Have you ever heard the saying the grass is always greener on the other side?
Watch what you wish for. If Judge sucks really bad, I don't know how you go back to Bob after you yank him.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
For all the people saying Judge should be in that for game 2:
Have you ever heard the saying the grass is always greener on the other side?
Watch what you wish for. If Judge sucks really bad, I don't know how you go back to Bob after you yank him.
It’s happened all year and worked out very very well. If we lose we switch goalies. Let’s keep rolling with what’s worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad