Post-Game Talk: Game 1 Afterglow: Still Undefeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Just finished reading some comments from various posters about the game Varly had and man, not sure if you know what you're looking at :

Dallas goal #1 - Bad bounce, everyone saw it, Seguin left all by himself 5 feet in front of the net. (I will blame defensive positioning and Zads+EJ getting crossed up more than Varly on that play...it's a bad break, it happens)

Dallas goal #2 - Beauchemin with a bad read and an even worse backcheck leaves Dallas with a 2-on-1 and they score. (While it's great to get a save there, you can't fault him for a 'bad goal', imo.)

Dallas goal #3 - Redirect from Benn on the PP (those 2 guys are one of the best duos in the NHL, they are going to get their points, especially on the PP - a redirected shot 3 feet from Varly is near impossible to stop.)

Dallas goal #4 - This one he could have had back as Stars player is driving towards the net (Eakin I think) with the Avs defender causing a disruption and it appears as though Varly goes down too early. The shot is still a nasty slapper that goes over his shoulder. (Varly would probably like that one back)

Dallas goal #5 - Zadorov makes a rookie mistake and gets caught chasing the puck carrier who makes a pass and creates a 3-on-2. No one picks up the man speeding on the left side and he has an empty net. (I don't blame Varly on that one either...bad read on Zadorov on that play)

So there was ONE semi-questionable goal that was still a great shot by Seguin and the rest he didn't have much of a chance on, imo. I understand the general feeling that when you put up as many goals as we did, you need your starting goalie to shut the door because I felt that way initially as well until I had to some time to think it over some more and look at how their goals were scored.

Besides, Varly DID save the game for us with 2 stellar pad saves in close that (I think) would have tied the game. That was huge!

Varly was not nearly as bad as some of you are letting on.

Yes Varly had a Grant Fuhr like game. Let in 5 but came up with the big save when we needed it.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Just finished reading some comments from various posters about the game Varly had and man, not sure if you know what you're looking at :

Dallas goal #1 - Bad bounce, everyone saw it, Seguin left all by himself 5 feet in front of the net. (I will blame defensive positioning and Zads+EJ getting crossed up more than Varly on that play...it's a bad break, it happens)

Dallas goal #2 - Beauchemin with a bad read and an even worse backcheck leaves Dallas with a 2-on-1 and they score. (While it's great to get a save there, you can't fault him for a 'bad goal', imo.)

Dallas goal #3 - Redirect from Benn on the PP (those 2 guys are one of the best duos in the NHL, they are going to get their points, especially on the PP - a redirected shot 3 feet from Varly is near impossible to stop.)

Dallas goal #4 - This one he could have had back as Stars player is driving towards the net (Eakin I think) with the Avs defender causing a disruption and it appears as though Varly goes down too early. The shot is still a nasty slapper that goes over his shoulder. (Varly would probably like that one back)

Dallas goal #5 - Zadorov makes a rookie mistake and gets caught chasing the puck carrier who makes a pass and creates a 3-on-2. No one picks up the man speeding on the left side and he has an empty net. (I don't blame Varly on that one either...bad read on Zadorov on that play)

So there was ONE semi-questionable goal that was still a great shot by Seguin and the rest he didn't have much of a chance on, imo. I understand the general feeling that when you put up as many goals as we did, you need your starting goalie to shut the door because I felt that way initially as well until I had to some time to think it over some more and look at how their goals were scored.

Besides, Varly DID save the game for us with 2 stellar pad saves in close that (I think) would have tied the game. That was huge!

Varly was not nearly as bad as some of you are letting on.

I think you make a fair point, and the team in front of him certainly played a big part on all the goals, but goals 2 and 4 were saves he could make, and that's kind of like some of the games that gave him trouble last year. I think that might be where some of the concern lies.

Goal 2 - Any time you give up a five hole goal like that, it's a save you needed to make. He just didn't close the pads fast enough. He's put in a tough position with the 2 on 1, but he's taking the shooter, and the puck goes through him. Not a terrible goal to give up, but in the NHL you need a save there. Varly would tell you the same.

Goal 4 - He's a bit too deep in his crease, and if you watch the end of the replay, you can see he lets up a bit when Eaves turns back and isn't anticipating or set for Seguin's one timer. I think he was a bit distracted by Roussel too, and there wasn't too much contact.

https://www.nhl.com/video/seguins-second-goal-of-the-night/t-282699722/c-45355803

Smith's poor defensive read skating too far down low and taking no one, while he left his man Seguin open, started the breakdown. Iggy didn't exactly hustle to cover for Smith, so that didn't help. Neither did Wiercioch's soft play in front of the net, but I think Varly can fight through Roussel's distraction there. That's a save Varly can make from that far out IMO. Probably would have given up a rebound, but that's better than the puck going straight in.

I wouldn't characterize Varly's game as terrible, but it was sub par IMO. The bar is so high for goaltending in the NHL now, that if you give up two goals that you're capable of saving, it can put your team in a tough position, and give a guy like Pickard a chance to take your spot if you keep doing it.

It's still just the first game though. Not too much to be concerned with since they won, but if it keeps happening, I think we'll end up in a goaltending controversy.

Last edited:

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
He didn't have a great game.....but the only goal I remember thinking "what is wrong with you Varly?" is the 4th one. But I'm sure that is a pretty universal opinion.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Goaltending as a whole has been atrocious throughout the league in Weak Week One. I'm not sure what the deal is, not that I mean to complain about the temporary bump in scoring but man, even the best of them have looked horrendous. And the really bad ones (Bernier) somehow have looked worse.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
He didn't have a great game.....but the only goal I remember thinking "what is wrong with you Varly?" is the 4th one. But I'm sure that is a pretty universal opinion.

That was Seguins second goal right? Yah I didnt like that one. All night though Varly didnt look comfortable until the final 10 minutes of the game.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
That was Seguins second goal right? Yah I didnt like that one. All night though Varly didnt look comfortable until the final 10 minutes of the game.

Yeah, it was that slapper he missed with his glove. Like Bender said it looks like he got distracted and went down a little early. It was a bad goal, kind of let them back in the game imo, but he did play well in the last ten minutes or so, so I think he deserves some credit for that.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
I think you make a fair point, and the team in front of him certainly played a big part on all the goals, but goals 2 and 4 were saves he could make, and that's kind of like some of the games that gave him trouble last year. I think that might be where some of the concern lies.

Goal 2 - Any time you give up a five hole goal like that, it's a save you needed to make. He just didn't close the pads fast enough. He's put in a tough position with the 2 on 1, but he's taking the shooter, and the puck goes through him. Not a terrible goal to give up, but in the NHL you need a save there. Varly would tell you the same.

Goal 4 - He's a bit too deep in his crease, and if you watch the end of the replay, you can see he lets up a bit when Eaves turns back and isn't anticipating or set for Seguin's one timer. I think he was a bit distracted by Roussel too, and there wasn't too much contact.

https://www.nhl.com/video/seguins-second-goal-of-the-night/t-282699722/c-45355803

Smith's poor defensive read skating too far down low and taking no one, while he left his man Seguin open, started the breakdown. Iggy didn't exactly hustle to cover for Smith, so that didn't help. Neither did Wiercioch's soft play in front of the net, but I think Varly can fight through Roussel's distraction there. That's a save Varly can make from that far out IMO. Probably would have given up a rebound, but that's better than the puck going straight in.

I wouldn't characterize Varly's game as terrible, but it was sub par IMO. The bar is so high for goaltending in the NHL now, that if you give up two goals that you're capable of saving, it can put your team in a tough position, and give a guy like Pickard a chance to take your spot if you keep doing it.

It's still just the first game though. Not too much to be concerned with since they won, but if it keeps happening, I think we'll end up in a goaltending controversy.

I feel like Varly's 5-hole is terrible...

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I feel like Varly's 5-hole is terrible...

I think he's pretty good in that area usually. Just when he's not quite on his game, it tends to be an issue. The same can be said about most goalies though.

When he's on his game he's swallowing up every shot down low with no rebounds. That was the 2013-14 Varly.

AdamCalderHero

Jul 20, 2010
Coventry, England
Outside of the actually rebounds I thought Varly's rebound control was poor which meant a lot of dangerous plays stayed alive. Coupled with poor clearing of the crease by the dmen and it was an issue. I'm not worried though he's normally much better than that and he's just feeling his way back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad