Post-Game Talk: Game 1 Afterglow: Still Undefeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Did people really think Smith was that bad? The whole 4th line for that matter? I'll admit I thought Comeau looked terrible (took two stupid penalties to boot) but the play of Martinsen and Smith didn't really bother me that much. Of course that's just "eye test" ya know...

Chet made a comment in the previous thread about Duchene, he definitely looked a bit off, thought IMO I didn't think he looked outright bad. Unfortunately I think that shoulder is still really bothering him and might be a thing that hampers him for a good long while.

Thoughts on Iggy's play? I thought he definitely had more jump but was not a huge factor otherwise. I thought that line as a whole was good though.

Yeah, I would love to hear an explanation on how Martinsen and Smith were no good other than "they are AHLers".

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
I thought Grigorenko was really good last night ! He had a number of excellent opportunities and wasn't far from burying a couple of them (especially that 3rd period shot he took where it went off the two posts). He's going to be producing this year !! His skating looks better too.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
So fun to read through the threads after the game and watch the emotions of the posters soar and plunge. Not to mention the exclamations of giving up, after say 7 minutes of game time. Or dismissing (or confirming) a guy's career because of one or two plays. All the flip flopping throughout the thread can be hilarious if you read it straight through knowing the score.

I have only been able to catch highlights, as I had to work (on a Sunday when the whole country is mourning....f'ing Canadians thinking they can run a pizza shop). But the only real takeaways I have are straight up hot-takes from those highlights and the stats. Varly was a sieve... sub .850 Sv% is inexcusable for a tendy of his ability. And Colborne has paid dividends already...if for no other reason that he has shown the Avs that getting dirty in the paint pays off.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Wier and Tyutin are cheaper versions of Holden and Stuart (his first year) while Weir is less physical than Holden but better with the puck. I worry about Tyutin come game 25-30, but solid defensive play is acceptable considering his role.

I like Zads-EJ, except on Dallas's 1st goal. I never felt confident in one of the pairings being the type to lock down a line, and that is a bit concerning. Much of that has to do with how quick strike and skilled that Dallas team is, especially Seguin-Benn.

Smith and Martinsen were ok, but I want to see a couple more games especially on PK from that duo before I think they should be locks for the 4th line.

Comeau was poor. While I think he'll improve, I do think he will be a player the Avs move by end of year.

Iggy will be marginalized back to his end of 15-16 role by game 20.

Grigs seems to have improved his first couple steps over the offseason. I think he had a very good game.

The core looked better to me as in they all had at least average games. Hope that continues rather than the old way of some playing well and others playing awful. I thought Varly struggled a bit, but expected it with the small layoff.

Liked the new approach to exiting the zone and transition. Will be great if that continues. Short quick passes seemed to lead to less possession giveaways and less icings.

Encouraging start

edit: Colborne out scoring Radulov so far makes me happy

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Regarding the PP, I think Bednar made some adjustments to it. It didn't look a whole lot like had seen the last 5 or so years.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Interesting, all of our D had a point except Tyutin lol, then with Barrie and FB getting two points.

Another interesting thing from the Box Score. Grigorenko led the forwards in SOG with five. Colborne had four, and no one else had more than three after those two.

Who would have expected that from Greg lol? I think this guy is all about that net.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Smith's instincts are AHL caliber. That's what gives him problems. He turns a little too late towards loose pucks, he sees openings a little too late, he makes passes a little too late. It causes him to lose battles, and just generally not bring much to the table.

He's fine as a depth callup but the Cliche description is perfect. He's a warm body that doesn't really hurt you too much, but that's not an NHLer in today's game. He's just not good enough in any area, and is just ok defensively. Not good enough to make up for the rest, and you can see when he's out on the ice he's overmatched compared to most guys.

Martinsen on the other hand, I've never thought was a pure AHLer. He could end up there for sure, but he brings elements to the table the team needs. He's just effective in his role, and his shot, and drive the net move he has, give him a different dimension that most big bodied physical 4th liners don't have.

He committed to the 4th line role in ways Everberg and Rendulic didn't, in terms of playing a grinding physical game. He doesn't have Rendulic's hands, and he's not as good as Everberg defensively 5 on 5, but he doesn't have to be. He just has to be ok in those areas, and bring the rest that he does to the table, and do it on a consistent basis.

I never understood why people wrote him off because the things holding him back from being a consistent NHLer, were things he could work on. Skating, and adding a PK ability to his game ala McLeod. It was also his first year playing in NA.

From what I saw he definitely worked on his skating over the summer, as he had a much higher top gear, and more fluidity to his game. Bednar also gave him some PK time, so if he can continue to get better there, he will turn himself into a legit NHLer.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Kinda hope 55 gets to play either tomorrow or Tuesday. Seemed like the bottom 2 lines were missing some of the energy he usually brings. Especially on a night like opening night.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I don't think the bottom 6 was missing any energy with Martinsen and G. Bourque in there. What they were missing was some skill, so we need Rantanen to get up here soon.

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
That was so much fun. They got the W, played some good hockey in the process and I liked how they fought back after going down 2-0 early.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Nice to see the ice time as even as it was. No need to be pushing our top players hard this early in the season. I feel like that was something Roy did a little to much of early in the year during his time with us.

No forward played more then 19 minutes(Soderberg at 18:45 the highest), and no Dman played over 25(Beauch at 23:42 the highest).

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Having not read the GDT I'm a bit surprised at the suggestion Martinsen was bad. You want two things from 4th liners: physicality and not being stupid, and he did both. If he plays 82 games where he flies around hitting everything that moves I'll be quite happy.

Elsewhere, it's nice to see a defence consistently being part of the attack. Whether it was the amount of long passes trying to stretch the neutral zone (see: Barrie to Soderberg (and what a goal), whoever it was to Iginla who's probably the last person you want about to be on a breakaway) or following up and being able to consistently get pucks on net and get through to the goalie, that's going to be big. It helps if you have someone with the night Colborne had where he has three guys trying to bring him down and he's still managing to get it over the line, but if the opportunities are there people who crash the net are going to be able to capitalise on them. The fact that Dallas had ringers like Oduya in defence helps a lot with this.

Again, without reading the GDT it's good to see a team that can come out from a down period in a game and come back. Going 2-0 down within seven minutes or whatever it was, especially with the clinical nature of the goals, that's bad. You've got the big occasion, you've got the new start for lots of the guys and then an appalling penalty kill constantly leaving Seguin open to run the show. Bad. Yet the response was to stretch the game, to attack rather than try to sit in and not manage damage limitation. Seeing a fraud like Niemi get chased was hilarious, as was that spell in the second where it looked like every entry into the zone was going to cause at worst mass panic, at best a goal. At 5-2 up there was only the slightest fear we'd end up throwing it away as Varlamov didn't look as imperious as usual. I've always found he's one of the worst for becoming jerky and getting rattled when he gets scored on quickly (not many goalies wouldn't, I guess) but he made some big saves in the 3rd and by the time we were killing the penalty to close the game nothing was getting through to him anyway.

A good performance, largely. Hopefully this frantic swording of Central opponents by scoring as many goals as possible is something which continues.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I only caught part of that Buffalo-Montreal game the other night, but the best part was when Rads and Gorges went to the box after a mini scrum, and Rads was just screaming at him in the box, even though it didn't look like they got into it on the ice.

Gorges had that look on his face like when a crazy person is getting in an argument with an empty seat on the subway, and then they start looking at you. It was hilarious. He looked totally bewildered as to what Rads was upset about.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Smith's instincts are AHL caliber. That's what gives him problems. He turns a little too late towards loose pucks, he sees openings a little too late, he makes passes a little too late. It causes him to lose battles, and just generally not bring much to the table.

He's fine as a depth callup but the Cliche description is perfect. He's a warm body that doesn't really hurt you too much, but that's not an NHLer in today's game. He's just not good enough in any area, and is just ok defensively. Not good enough to make up for the rest, and you can see when he's out on the ice he's overmatched compared to most guys.

Martinsen on the other hand, I've never thought was a pure AHLer. He could end up there for sure, but he brings elements to the table the team needs. He's just effective in his role, and his shot, and drive the net move he has, give him a different dimension that most big bodied physical 4th liners don't have.

He committed to the 4th line role in ways Everberg and Rendulic didn't, in terms of playing a grinding physical game. He doesn't have Rendulic's hands, and he's not as good as Everberg defensively 5 on 5, but he doesn't have to be. He just has to be ok in those areas, and bring the rest that he does to the table, and do it on a consistent basis.

I never understood why people wrote him off because the things holding him back from being a consistent NHLer, were things he could work on. Skating, and adding a PK ability to his game ala McLeod. It was also his first year playing in NA.

From what I saw he definitely worked on his skating over the summer, as he had a much higher top gear, and more fluidity to his game. Bednar also gave him some PK time, so if he can continue to get better there, he will turn himself into a legit NHLer.

Smith wasn't late on everything last night. He was breaking up a lot of plays. Like I said, I would like to hear an explanation as to why Smith had a bad game other than claiming he is an AHLer based on previous opinions.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Kinda hope 55 gets to play either tomorrow or Tuesday. Seemed like the bottom 2 lines were missing some of the energy he usually brings. Especially on a night like opening night.

He looked so sad when they introduced the team last night. The dude has some serious passion for the game and the Avs, so seeing him being scratched on opening night was heartbreaking. I'd like to see him back in the lineup (in a very limited role) soon.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Smith wasn't late on everything last night. He was breaking up a lot of plays. Like I said, I would like to hear an explanation as to why Smith had a bad game other than claiming he is an AHLer based on previous opinions.

He wasn't terrible. He's a safe option just like Cliche. He doesn't hurt you much and he doesn't help you, but this is what you want in a depth callup, not a NHL regular, or even really a 13th forward if you can help it. I stated his deficiencies as to why I don't think he's an NHLer, and the biggest one is his instincts and hockey IQ. It works at AHL speed not NHL speed. Cliche has the same deficiencies.

He's fine for now if they really want Grigo playing wing instead of center, making McLeod's scratch somewhat understandable, but once Rantanen, and especially Mitchell get back, he should not be up anymore.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
PSA (semi-off topic)...I saw some of y'all (looking at you RiaL) talking about drinking scotch.

I'm a big fan of Laphroaig, Talisker and the real peaty, earthy single malts....I highly recommend just getting a huge (I use one of those big-ass blue plastic 24oz tumblers) glass of ice water to sip on while enjoying the scotch neat. Because this doesn't cut or mix water or ice into the scotch you can enjoy each and every sip as it is intended and still be able to satisfy your thirst while being able to maintain some sense of sobriety over the course of a night. :)

For the love of god and all that is holy, do NOT ever under any circumstance drink beer (especially a 64oz growler of high alcohol, >10%, stout) while enjoying your scotch. It is entirely possible you will sleep through the next day completely...awaking in time for a massive hangover at supper and then not being able to sleep properly that night.

[edit...I say this like it may help...but in my experience, everyone is just going to have to piss on the electric fence for themselves before they learn.]

What's wrong with sleeping though the entire next day. You get to wake up to more hockey.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I thought Duchene was fine, I saw him have a few shifts where he was causing trouble down low.
I don't think he was terribly impressive offensively but he played a solid, calm game in all three zones. He's working on becoming a more complete player imo and I like the first steps he took in this direction. I also liked his presence and confidence. Scoring will come.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
He wasn't terrible. He's a safe option just like Cliche. He doesn't hurt you much and he doesn't help you, but this is what you want in a depth callup, not a NHL regular, or even really a 13th forward if you can help it. I stated his deficiencies as to why I don't think he's an NHLer, and the biggest one is his instincts and hockey IQ. It works at AHL speed not NHL speed. Cliche has the same deficiencies.

He's fine for now if they really want Grigo playing wing instead of center, making McLeod's scratch somewhat understandable, but once Rantanen, and especially Mitchell get back, he should not be up anymore.

He looks a lot better than Cliche. He seems to be faster, more energetic and more aggressive against the puck. He has shown to have a good looking shot. People have not died in laughter every time he tried to pass the puck. And Cliche wasn't even a safe option defensively. Cliche hurt the team quite a bit. Not to mention Smith's past production which is much better, including goals, points and FO% (magnified as a 4th line defensive C/PKer). I really don't know what to say if you see another Cliche.

McLeod's scratch is understandable no matter what. He is the worst skater on the team, besides Iggy. And he is the least skilled. I know you like Cody. I personally don't have anything against him. But with Martinsen destroying people we don't really need Cody at all. Everything he brings to the table is replaced by guys who are younger, faster and more skilled (and in Martinsen's case, tougher as well, which is the main thing Cody brings).

If everyone is healthy, Rene and Smith should be the scratches with Cody sent down or traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad