Post-Game Talk: Game 1 Afterglow: Still Undefeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
No more dumping vets in SA. It's not a dumpster for contracts to wait to for expiration. The guys on two ways on one year contracts yeah they know they could be sent down but no long time vets on the team. They'd have to find a trade or some other solution for McLeod.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Cliche got pushed around WAY too easily in addition to his limited skill. In the Avs' defense he was supposed to be the team's 13th forward, and then effin' Winchester got concusssed. :rant:

I'm sure Cody will see time in the lineup. At this point he probably shouldn't be a player who dresses for every game. But yes, a part of me kinda feels for him...there's probably not a more loyal player on the roster.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He looks a lot better than Cliche. He seems to be faster, more energetic and more aggressive against the puck. He has shown to have a good looking shot. People have not died in laughter every time he tried to pass the puck. And Cliche wasn't even a safe option defensively. Cliche hurt the team quite a bit. Not to mention Smith's past production which is much better, including goals, points and FO% (magnified as a 4th line defensive C/PKer). I really don't know what to say if you see another Cliche.

McLeod's scratch is understandable no matter what. He is the worst skater on the team, besides Iggy. And he is the least skilled. I know you like Cody. I personally don't have anything against him. But with Martinsen destroying people we don't really need Cody at all. Everything he brings to the table is replaced by guys who are younger, faster and more skilled (and in Martinsen's case, tougher as well, which is the main thing Cody brings).

If everyone is healthy, Rene and Smith should be the scratches with Cody sent down or traded.

I don't see what you see in him, but that's fine. I do like Cody, but I wouldn't necessarily argue he should be in this year's healthy lineup. I think G Bourque is a better option.

In a totally healthy lineup with Mikko and Mitchell in it, I think Cody and Marty are 13th and 14th forwards, depending on how poorly Rene is playing at the time. They both bring a lot more of what the Avs need in a 4th line, than what Smith brings though. Smith should be part of the AHL depth to be called up along with Vogelhuber and Grimaldi IMO.

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
Since the '05 lockout we've only won 4 season openers (prior to last night). We made the playoffs 3 of those years. In the 7 years that we lost game #1, we only made the playoffs once.

So based on the result of our opening night win, I can say with 82% confidence that we will make the playoffs.

:sarcasm:

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I don't see what you see in him, but that's fine. I do like Cody, but I wouldn't necessarily argue he should be in this year's healthy lineup. I think G Bourque is a better option.

In a totally healthy lineup with Mikko and Mitchell in it, I think Cody and Marty are 13th and 14th forwards, depending on how poorly Rene is playing at the time. They both bring a lot more of what the Avs need in a 4th line, than what Smith brings though. Smith should be part of the AHL depth to be called up along with Vogelhuber and Grimaldi IMO.

What exactly do we need on the 4th line? Seems to me the only thing Cody has over Smith is his ability to get hits after the puck has moved along and a net front body

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Comeau did look dreadful, and I was actually pretty happy with his play last season. He was a perfectly fine third liner, it was his usage that I had a problem with. I don't know where his head was, but he was pure crap.

Smith looked fine, but I feel like I'll have the same issue with him that I had with Mitchell. He's a good 4C who should never be used outside of that role. Having his line out for O-zone faceoffs so much was really frustrating considering that all that line was really good at was forechecking. Rantanen coming back is going to be really key to our offensive depth getting down to the third line.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Comeau did look dreadful, and I was actually pretty happy with his play last season. He was a perfectly fine third liner, it was his usage that I had a problem with. I don't know where his head was, but he was pure crap.

Smith looked fine, but I feel like I'll have the same issue with him that I had with Mitchell. He's a good 4C who should never be used outside of that role. Having his line out for O-zone faceoffs so much was really frustrating considering that all that line was really good at was forechecking. Rantanen coming back is going to be really key to our offensive depth getting down to the third line.

Remember, Comeau was bad to start last season with us as well (His first season here). Maybe he spends too much time with Duchene, and is a slow starter for the Avs?

I hated that contract after game #1, but everyone eventually decided he was fine/good. Hopefully that happens again, because he was horribad his first week.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Remember, Comeau was bad to start last season with us as well (His first season here). Maybe he spends too much time with Duchene, and is a slow starter for the Avs?

I hated that contract after game #1, but everyone eventually decided he was fine/good. Hopefully that happens again, because he was horribad his first week.

Dont forget slow starter Iginla. They must all hang out. Dutch did look ok last night though. Hopefully he scores next game and celebrates like a mad man to piss off Roy.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
What exactly do we need on the 4th line? Seems to me the only thing Cody has over Smith is his ability to get hits after the puck has moved along and a net front body

The things Smith brings to the table, they pretty much have an entire roster that is light years better than he is. The physical play, agitators role, and net front presence is pretty thin on the Avs. Only Landy and sometimes Comeau bring that first element to the table, and no one really brings the second. The net front presence is starting to get better, but it's always good to have another guy that can create some energy by stirring it up in front of the net.

They don't need both McLeod and Marty in the lineup at the same time, but they can interchange and fill that role as 13th and 14th forwards if there's an injury. With Bourque and Mitchell potentially on the 4th line with them, they have enough skill and speed, they can use the last spot on a gritty physical player. I'm not particularly worried about either of their skating ability for 4th liners. Also I'm not really sold on Smith's PK ability, and at least McLeod is ok at that, though not exceptional.

Last edited:

Shaggy88

Bananular phone
Nov 13, 2013
I liked overwhelmed for Comeau. He'll get the hang of the systems after a couple more games and practices.

What I saw last night was promising but a work in progress. Z and EJ together were great, but I wish EJ would rein it in a bit and let Z do more of his thing. Perhaps that's coaching, EJ more experienced, leader on the team, better overall, etc. I just see the same move from EJ every time, skate up with speed, drift wide, put a weak backhand into the crest. But I really do enjoy Zadorovs inherent nose for the net. If they could learn to play well off each other that'd be fantastic. If it means giving Zadorov a longer leash, so be it. Let him grow.

Grigorenko, Landeskog, MacKinnon and Soderberg all has good nights. Lando was great in all 3 zones. Grigo looked engaged, enthusiastic, and had some great scoring chances. Soda was solid all around.

I thought Duchene tried to do too much at times but he still had some good shifts in the O-zone where he was causing trouble. He'll be fine.

Wierdo was a love/hate all night. He'd make a dumb play followed by a good followed by a dumb. I think we might just have to accept that.

Varly was not on his game. That first goal against definitely shook him up and gave him PTSD from last year.

Seguin and Benn are a treat to watch live. Did not notice Klingberg at all.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Sakic was on the radio before the game, and they asked him what they want from Z. He basically said they want him to keep it simple for now, and focus on his defense, so it seems like he's got a bit of a leash for now. Once he gets that down, they'll give him more room to go.

I do like that he was shooting last night. He had 3 shots of his own, and obviously the tip from Colborne was another shot. EJ had 4 shots on net too, so they were getting it to the net.

Shaggy88

Bananular phone
Nov 13, 2013
Sakic was on the radio before the game, and they asked him what they want from Z. He basically said they want him to keep it simple for now, and focus on his defense, so it seems like he's got a bit of a leash for now. Once he gets that down, they'll give him more room to go.

I do like that he was shooting last night. He had 3 shots of his own, and obviously the tip from Colborne was another shot. EJ had 4 shots on net too, so they were getting it to the net.

I wish they would let him go a bit in the offensive zone. I get it, the whole EJ is the better of the two angle, but I don't want them to stifle Zadorovs offense. He's got a bullet of a slap shot and an underrated wrister.

I also understand the focus on defense first angle and then develop the offense. It's much easier to learn how to get shots through than learning how to defend.

First game of the year, 1 goal lead, I get it, put out the safe guys. Maybe part of Tyutins allure is him teaching Zadorov about how to play those late game situations.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

I want to see his offensive potential unleashed on the NHL as much as anybody, but I have to agree with Sakic here. Let EJ do his thing, he knows where to pick his spots, and Z can watch and learn while smoothing out his remaining defensive lumps.

Shaggy88

Bananular phone
Nov 13, 2013
First you claim he is Cliche. Now everyone is light years better than he is at everything. The hyperbole is getting old and honestly just a crappy argument.

I wasn't terribly impressed nor disappointed with Smith. He was usually in early on the forecheck, barring some discussion on the ice which I saw a couple times. Getting the system down I assume.

While he was usually in early and good on getting pressure on the forecheck, I also saw him out muscled, out skilled or just pure out played more than a few times. That was disappointing. Thought the Bourques were miles better. That may have had something to do with Bednars line matching though. He does seem to give 100% every shift, which I appreciate.

He had a couple good shifts in both zones, keeping possession or gaining. I'd give give him a C. Mitchell should push him down but he's decent depth callup

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't count Cody as a big net presence guy. Yes he's big but he doesn't have the savvy to get to rebounds or deflect shots. He's not much of a shooter either. Most of his offense comes from crashing the net, like McGinn used to. But there's a big difference between crashing the net and setting up shop in there.

Again I think McLeod still has good value in his limited role are a guy who crashes and bangs and foments chaos on the forecheck. But he really doesn't have value beyond that, at least not on the ice. He will see ice time but I'm fine with the Avs giving other players looks.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
My biggest problem with McLeod, not counting him not being all that good at hockey, is that the refs hate him. I don't know if it's because he's running his mouth all the time but he gets nailed for everything and a little bit extra.

That limits what you can do as an energy fourth liner, when clean hits get called as charges.

arun

Click here to hide this advertisement
Jun 23, 2016
Holland
My biggest problem with McLeod, not counting him not being all that good at hockey, is that the refs hate him. I don't know if it's because he's running his mouth all the time but he gets nailed for everything and a little bit extra.

That limits what you can do as an energy fourth liner, when clean hits get called as charges.

I'd say Greer and/or Compher could take his role and add more skill/points to the team as well.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Varly

Just finished reading some comments from various posters about the game Varly had and man, not sure if you know what you're looking at :

Dallas goal #1 - Bad bounce, everyone saw it, Seguin left all by himself 5 feet in front of the net. (I will blame defensive positioning and Zads+EJ getting crossed up more than Varly on that play...it's a bad break, it happens)

Dallas goal #2 - Beauchemin with a bad read and an even worse backcheck leaves Dallas with a 2-on-1 and they score. (While it's great to get a save there, you can't fault him for a 'bad goal', imo.)

Dallas goal #3 - Redirect from Benn on the PP (those 2 guys are one of the best duos in the NHL, they are going to get their points, especially on the PP - a redirected shot 3 feet from Varly is near impossible to stop.)

Dallas goal #4 - This one he could have had back as Stars player is driving towards the net (Eakin I think) with the Avs defender causing a disruption and it appears as though Varly goes down too early. The shot is still a nasty slapper that goes over his shoulder. (Varly would probably like that one back)

Dallas goal #5 - Zadorov makes a rookie mistake and gets caught chasing the puck carrier who makes a pass and creates a 3-on-2. No one picks up the man speeding on the left side and he has an empty net. (I don't blame Varly on that one either...bad read on Zadorov on that play)

So there was ONE semi-questionable goal that was still a great shot by Seguin and the rest he didn't have much of a chance on, imo. I understand the general feeling that when you put up as many goals as we did, you need your starting goalie to shut the door because I felt that way initially as well until I had to some time to think it over some more and look at how their goals were scored.

Besides, Varly DID save the game for us with 2 stellar pad saves in close that (I think) would have tied the game. That was huge!

Varly was not nearly as bad as some of you are letting on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad