Gallant

Sheriff Bert

Blash is Trash
Apr 24, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I don't credit Blashill with putting rookies in the lineup. Injuries forced him to. Mantha should have been in the lineup far before guys like Ott or Bertuzzi, and Smith has been playing over XO nearly all season.

Hell, didn't Blash bench AA for Ott in like the second game this year?

As for Gallant, unless he's willing to take an assistant coach role, there's no way that Holland would consider replacing Blashill. Even if we end up tanking near the end of the season, he's a "Holland guy"

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Great post. Blashill has done 90% of things majority in here whined never happens at Red Wings.

Now team is losing, so let's blame the guy!

More and more, year after year, it's totally hilarious how it goes. Reasons will change, people just have to blame somebody. Blame this and that.

It's not simple as that. And you know it.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
From Spector:

Gallant was a key reason the Panthers took the Atlantic last season and was a finalist for the Jack Adams Awards as NHL coach of the year. He didn’t suddenly turn into a bad coach this season…In my opinion, the Panthers front office seized the first opportunity to replace a coach that they had inherited. Gallant wasn’t their guy. His firing is being greeted with widespread puzzlement and condemnation by the hockey media, leaving the Panthers players disappointed and unhappy.

This also speaks volumes about Tallon’s position, since Gallant was “his†guy. I suspect Dale could be on the move, as well.

Gerard is sitting pretty at the moment (despite having to hail his own cab), he gets paid to do nothing for two years. However, I suspect that he’ll land with the Islanders if they decide to make a move, or could be a leading candidate for Vegas.

Doesn't it seem like Florida today is looking a lot like Tampa Bay during the pre-Vinik/Yzerman days?

Last edited:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Islanders also came on my mind as first next address for Gallant.

Capuano's head should be on the table soon.

I don't think many high-profile head coaches like Gallant would go for that job. He's better off waiting to see if a better opportunity opens up after another 20 games and through the rest of the season than going to another circus with the Islanders.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Yeah capuano should be fired. They are playing better then where they are in the rankings

But where they are in the rankings is unacceptable

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Gallant is terrible. Dude is also like Cooper and whines to the refs about everything.

No ******* thanks. I'll stick with Blashill.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
Gallant is terrible. Dude is also like Cooper and whines to the refs about everything.

The "dude" was one of the finalists for the Jack Adams last year. He improved Florida into a team that had the most points they have ever had. I have watched him coach, and sure don't remember much whining. Plenty of injuries this year is most likely why they aren't where they want to be record wise.
He looks confident behind the bench. Blashill doesn't look confident to me. I would take him next year if he was available.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

The same Blashill that plays Larkin 11 minutes and Mantha 12 while Zetterberg plays 20. Yah good choice.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Florida has much more talent than the Wings and he mismanaged them to that record.

Florida has been hit by major injuries this season and Jagr is finnaly showing his age.

Gallant coached Florida to 103 points and won the division last year. MOD

Last edited by a moderator:

Ottarr

Nov 30, 2016
I feel most of us Panthers fans were fond of Gallant. And wont forget how he helped this young team. On the flip side there are things that he never seemed to try and fix. I think he was too soft on the guys at times. On a more veteran team i feel he would do better. A team that you could allow more freedom.

Top Shelfer

Bingo Bango!
Dec 22, 2008
The Motor City
Last Red Wings fired

1982: The Detroit Red Wings hire Nick Polano as coach, replacing Billy Dea, who finishes out the 1981-82 season after Wayne Maxner is fired. The Red Wings go 79-127-34 in three seasons before Polano is replaced by Harry Neale and becomes an assistant general manager.

John Barrett a defensman back then finished career -114. he was -31 81-82.

Johnny O and Reed Larson were the only positives I remember.

Owner of Panthers a military West Pointe grad and he promoted a fellow army buddy in front office above Dale Tallon :shakehead
Viola (the owner) also big on analytics and surely plays with plastic army men.
Fool thinks game is played in paper.
Military intelligence, two words combined that can't make sense imo.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
The "dude" was one of the finalists for the Jack Adams last year. He improved Florida into a team that had the most points they have ever had. I have watched him coach, and sure don't remember much whining. Plenty of injuries this year is most likely why they aren't where they want to be record wise.
He looks confident behind the bench. Blashill doesn't look confident to me. I would take him next year if he was available.

Jack Adams is a joke award for one season wonders who inevitably come back down to Earth the following year.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
From Spector:

Gallant was a key reason the Panthers took the Atlantic last season and was a finalist for the Jack Adams Awards as NHL coach of the year. He didn’t suddenly turn into a bad coach this season…In my opinion, the Panthers front office seized the first opportunity to replace a coach that they had inherited. Gallant wasn’t their guy. His firing is being greeted with widespread puzzlement and condemnation by the hockey media, leaving the Panthers players disappointed and unhappy.

This also speaks volumes about Tallon’s position, since Gallant was “his” guy. I suspect Dale could be on the move, as well.

Gerard is sitting pretty at the moment (despite having to hail his own cab), he gets paid to do nothing for two years. However, I suspect that he’ll land with the Islanders if they decide to make a move, or could be a leading candidate for Vegas.

Doesn't it seem like Florida today is looking a lot like Tampa Bay during the pre-Vinik/Yzerman days?

This is the primary reason I wouldn't make the move. Holland hopefully retires after next season. If that's the case and you bring in a new GM - who knows, maybe they'll just give the job to Martin like they gave Blashill the coaching job - and that guy should be able to hire the next coach.

We'd be repeating the same exact thing Florida just did where we would possibly fire Gallant so the new GM can go out and get his own guy. Holland put us in the position we're in right now. We need him to stop digging, retire and then let the next guy make the big moves that will potentially get us out of our current spiral down the toilet bowl.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
1982: The Detroit Red Wings hire Nick Polano as coach, replacing Billy Dea, who finishes out the 1981-82 season after Wayne Maxner is fired. The Red Wings go 79-127-34 in three seasons before Polano is replaced by Harry Neale and becomes an assistant general manager.

John Barrett a defensman back then finished career -114. he was -31 81-82.

Johnny O and Reed Larson were the only positives I remember.

Owner of Panthers a military West Pointe grad and he promoted a fellow army buddy in front office above Dale Tallon :shakehead
Viola (the owner) also big on analytics and surely plays with plastic army men.
Fool thinks game is played in paper.
Military intelligence, two words combined that can't make sense imo.

Forgot about this guy:

http://www.upi.com/Archives/1986/06...-Tuesday-as-coach-and-director/3001518155200/

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Fire Blashill and hire Gallant

Title. It's no coincidence that both Nyquist and Tatar have fallen off a cliff offensively since he took over. They look uninspired and are routinely outshot. Gallan took the Panthers to new heights, but was unfairly blamed for their struggles this year due to injuries.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
why would gallant want to come into this impending train wreck that will be picking top 10 for at least a season or two

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Tatar was given more ice time than last year and plays on the top line consistently. He's getting the best opportunity in his career right now and he's not producing. Tell me how that's Blashill's fault.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
That's actually a terrible idea.

Agreed. Please fire Holland before Blash (or please just fire him anyways). Blash is doing well with what he's got, which is not a lot of scoring.

Datsyuk and Z we knew were getting old yrs ago and we were asking why there was no proper succession plan in place, now as those guys slowly creep away the panic sets in.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
At this point there is no more argument it is only fire now or on the offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad