Gallant

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Florida is 11-10-1 and Gallant gets the boot.

I know that Florida invested a lot in the off-season, but Gerard has always impressed me as a stand-up guy and he did wonders with that team last year.

We are 10-10-2. Is there a place for Gallant in our organization?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Probably not, but I'll always be a Gallant fan form back in the days when he was playing on Stevie's wing.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I actually thought the Gallant hiring (in Florida) was a bad idea. Didn't like him in Columbus either. I think he's a good "rally the troops" coach but I don't like him for playoff-calibre teams.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I actually thought the Gallant hiring (in Florida) was a bad idea. Didn't like him in Columbus either. I think he's a good "rally the troops" coach but I don't like him for playoff-calibre teams.

Yeah, I still remember the total disaster that Columbus was under him, sorta surprised by the love/defense for him now on my twitter feed. I don't think Florida underperforming a little is entirely on him, but some of the stuff being said acts like the guy is a premier NHL coach.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Glad they had the guts to make big changes quickly. They have high expectations. I wish Detroit showed the same urgency- it takes us 3 season to fire a coach. :)

Bring him here, dual coach with Blashill! Toronto thinks they're so clever with an elaborate management team, we could have 2 coaches. Hey there were ancient civilizations with 2 rulers, it can work. Blashill needs all the help he can get I would welcome Gallant in some form.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Yeah, I still remember the total disaster that Columbus was under him, sorta surprised by the love/defense for him now on my twitter feed. I don't think Florida underperforming a little is entirely on him, but some of the stuff being said acts like the guy is a premier NHL coach.

I didn't see him in Columbus but that was 10 years ago. He then went down into the juniors and did nothing but win. Named the greatest CHL coach two years in a row and was assistant to Therrien for 2 years before head coach of the Panthers. They finished 1st in the Atlantic last season by the way. He'd be an asset to any NHL team. Premier NHL coach no, but the guy clearly has some good ideas.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
anyone is better than Blash

I think Blashill is a bad coach right now, having a hard time adjusting to the NHL level. He's still the second youngest coach in the game right now I think. I believe he'll turn into a good NHL level coach some day. I don't think it's in Detroit though.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

Before the season started everyone said this team was a bubble team or, possibly, a lottery team. Right now, Detroit is a bubble team. I don't understand the criticism of a second-year coach when we all know and decided this team is average at best. A new coach doesn't turn this team around.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Before the season started everyone said this team was a bubble team or, possibly, a lottery team. Right now, Detroit is a bubble team. I don't understand the criticism of a second-year coach when we all know and decided this team is average at best. A new coach doesn't turn this team around.

I think a new coach makes this team better to be honest.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

To be honest.

People are moving up and down the lineup at an acceptable rate for me.

Sproul was getting playing time.
Mantha placed on the top line.
AA was getting top 9 minutes.
He has been benching Miller / Ott.

A lot of these things Babcock would never have done.
I think he is doing fine.

Our players are playing poorly.

Nyquist Helm Vanek Neilsen have been OK
Most the other forwards really need to step it up.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I think a new coach makes this team better to be honest.

Maybe in the short term a coaching change ignites the team and they play above their capability for a stretch, but an average team is still an average team. You only make a coaching change right now if you believe the team isn't playing up to its potential. The power play could be better, I suppose, but it was crap last season, too. About time to start admitting the players on the roster aren't good with the extra man for some reason.

What happens next year? Do you fire the coach you replaced Blashill with when he inevitably starts the season the same way? Do you just keep firing coaches every season until something happens? I just think it's dumb to spend an entire summer complaining about how bad the roster is and then when reality hits 20 games in and the team isn't good we start throwing the coaches under the bus.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Maybe in the short term a coaching change ignites the team and they play above their capability for a stretch, but an average team is still an average team. You only make a coaching change right now if you believe the team isn't playing up to its potential. The power play could be better, I suppose, but it was crap last season, too. About time to start admitting the players on the roster aren't good with the extra man for some reason.

What happens next year? Do you fire the coach you replaced Blashill with when he inevitably starts the season the same way? Do you just keep firing coaches every season until something happens? I just think it's dumb to spend an entire summer complaining about how bad the roster is and then when reality hits 20 games in and the team isn't good we start throwing the coaches under the bus.

the power play wasn't that bad last year really

I mean it wasn't good but the Wings finished the year in 13th at 18.8%

this year they are in 24th at 14.3% so far

and start throwing the coaches under the bus? you say that like people weren't unhappy with Blashill last year too,it's hardly a new thing

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He had higher end players and his team underachieved probably worse than ours is. Do. Not. Want.

One Blurred Eye

Prefer the future.
Sep 27, 2014
Ekblad is better than any defenseman we have. Barkov is better than any forward we have. And they have 1 more pt than us.

Not coming down on either side, just wondering whether the quality of Florida's losses (or their wins for that matter) is similar to what we've seen with Detroit this year--because we've looked terrible for long stretches most nights, even in victory, and have perhaps one or two games we could hold up as strong 60 minute efforts (more like 50ish really, in my opinion). I haven't seen enough of Florida to say one way or another but I could certainly see their record being a product more of bad luck and not so much bad coaching/preparations/etc. On the other hand, if a team with the talent of Florida is playing like we have most nights, then the change was probably justified--even if how it went down seemed rather dickish on the part of the organization. I don't have much of an opinion on Gallant either way--don't think he'd improve our team much short or long term in any case, but as an outsider I was surprised by the move.

But then you never know, might be a crafty change for a young team like the Panthers, whether Gallant deserved it or not--like the Pens switching out Therrien for Bylsma in 09--somewhat of a lateral move they probably suffered for long term but helped them enough in the short to get them to a Cup (even if they needed a lot of good fortune too).

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
To be honest.

People are moving up and down the lineup at an acceptable rate for me.

Sproul was getting playing time.
Mantha placed on the top line.
AA was getting top 9 minutes.
He has been benching Miller / Ott.

A lot of these things Babcock would never have done.
I think he is doing fine.

Our players are playing poorly.

Nyquist Helm Vanek Neilsen have been OK
Most the other forwards really need to step it up.

Great post. Blashill has done 90% of things majority in here whined never happens at Red Wings.

Now team is losing, so let's blame the guy!

More and more, year after year, it's totally hilarious how it goes. Reasons will change, people just have to blame somebody. Blame this and that.

I would also like Gallant. There was something really good on Panthers play. Injuries caused this season, Ekblad hasn't been same guy since World Cup concussion etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad