News Article: Galchenyuk Willing to accept 1 year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Mistake. Sounds like how Subban was handled (both in contract and treatment as a player). Lock him up now. The talent is there just like how the talent was there with Subban before his bridge deal.

There is a difference, a huge difference. One had proven he can handle his position/role, the other has not.

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There is a difference, a huge difference. One had proven he can handle his position/role, the other has not.

You missing the entire point and now going to make it a Subban vs Galchenyuk side debate.

The point is this. Galchenyuk is a serious talent and has been mismanaged by the organization. I'm not saying Galchenyuk (today) = Subban (before bridge deal). I'm saying we miss manged how we have treated Subban and he stuck it to us in his $9M contract because of it. We really going to do this again with Galchenyuk?

Worse case with Galchenyuk is he is a 30 goal winger. You don't think that is worth $6M today? If Galchenyuk succeeded at center similarly to how Subban was good on D, then Galchenyuk would be asking for $8M. Thats not what I'm saying though.

There is an opportunity to make both player and team happy IMO. This whole center/winger roller coaster ride has confused many to think Galchenyuk is not that good. I would have no problem giving him a little less than MacKinnon or Monahan money

Last edited:

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
I think so. But we must absolutely avoid the arbitration process.

Agreed. The kid already has questionable confidence; hearing his GM dig at all of his faults is the last thing he needs.

So be it. Give him a one year deal and let him prove (again) that he deserves a longterm contract. If it leads to a career season for him then I don't see what the problem is. He'll still be an RFA next summer.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
3.5M per year after a 60 point season is a ridiculous contract... Ok, buddy...

I did say that I had more problems with the contract length than the money, didn't I?

At that point, Desharnais should have received a 1 or 2 years contract, not a multiple years contract. At that point, he wasn't really proven and there was no rush in giving him an extension during the shortened season. Waiting for the end of the season would have shown that his pace over a full season was significantly lower than his 60 point season and that he was terrible in the playoffs.

You can try to defend that contract all you want. It wasn't a smart move. Especially considering that he when he didn't produce points, he was utterly useless and frankly detrimental to the team's progression towards the last 2-3 years of his contract as he was given ice time in situations that would have been better invested in developping other players, starting with Galchenyuk. He was also prctically untradable, with reason.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I think it's more about not being played at center then wanting to maximize his contract. The guy wants to be a center, he always has. So unless we commit to him as a center he has no incentive to sign long term. He'll sign a one or two year deal to get to UFA and then go to a team that will play him as a center.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Your missing the point. Not my debate and lets not lose focus on a side debate. Happens way to often. My point is Galchenyuk is worth $6M for 8 years. Galchenyuk may or may not be worth that in the next 2 or 3 years but he likely is over the next 8 years! What is a top 6 winger worth today? A top 6 player who can score 30 goals and his heading into his prime years?

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think it's more about not being played at center then wanting to maximize his contract. The guy wants to be a center, he always has. So unless we commit to him as a center he has no incentive to sign long term. He'll sign a one or two year deal to get to UFA and then go to a team that will play him as a center.

Lie to his face then and tell him he is a center lol. Get the long term deal done! Never heard of a NWC (no winger contract)

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

I wouldn't blame him one bit if he did go the 2 year route to get to UFA asap. I still think he gets moved this summer and the return will be underwhelming. :(

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
It's a relative world. Subban was not dominate before his bridge deal. He has very good seasons of 36pts and 38pts and showed tons of potential. Most people with hockey sense, knew he was going to be very good! That deal was in 2013

Fast forward 4 years later. Galchenyuk has similar question marks in his game as Subban did back when. The knock on Subban was his risk taking in unnecessary situations. This kept him off of team Canada's roster but he surely has fine tuned his game over the last few seasons. Galchenyuk is a serious talent and his question mark is does he have the vision and skating to be a #1C. Regardless of that, he's still a legit 30 goal threat on the wing at worse case. That's worth $6M in today's NHL!

$6M for 8 years gets the deal done. Make it happen.

There is a pattern here with the Habs. Management, Fans, and Media are way to hard on our players! And we wonder why players don't want to play for the Habs eh? Support your team and your potential elite level superstars FFS!

PK was already our #1/#2 D at that time! Here we are after 5 years with Chucky and we don't even know what the heck he is.

Nobody's questioning his talent, it's everything else that's still a question mark.

You missing the entire point and now going to make it a Subban vs Galchenyuk side debate.

The point is this. Galchenyuk is a serious talent and has been mismanaged by the organization. I'm not saying Galchenyuk (today) = Subban (before bridge deal). I'm saying we miss manged how we have treated Subban and he stuck it to us in his $9M contract because of it. We really going to do this again with Galchenyuk?

Worse case with Galchenyuk is he is a 30 goal winger. You don't think that is worth $6M today? If Galchenyuk succeeded at center similarly to how Subban was good on D, then Galchenyuk would be asking for $8M. Thats not what I'm saying though.

There is an opportunity to make both player and team happy IMO. This whole center/winger roller coaster ride has confused many to think Galchenyuk is not that good. I would have no problem giving him a little less than MacKinnon or Monahan money.

How was this kid mismanaged? Playing him on the wing because he can't handle the center position is mismanaging him?

He scored 30 goals once in his career in a lost case season with no pressure and expectations! Is Byron a 20 goal scorer now?

Stop comparing him to Monahan and MacKinnon, he's nowhere close to those guys!

Give him Pacioretty's money for 5 years and go from there.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
One year works for both sides, allows use to sign him cheaper this year which could help us sign Radulov. Then next year we have $10 million coming off our cap with Emmy/Plekanec's contracts up.

Gives him incentive to work harder this year and hopefully he can improve his skating a bit over the summer.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Galchenyuk and his agent aren't stupid. They know what he's capable of when he's not being jerked around in the bottom-six on wing positions. He was a PPG player pre-injury at center and broke out in terms of goal scoring last year when he was moved to center. They know what he can do, and a one-year "prove it" deal benefits Galchenyuk in the long run most likely.

The decision comes down to Bergevin (ugh). Give him the one year "prove it" deal, negotiate a longer term deal with a bit more money, or trade him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
PK was already our #1/#2 D at that time! Here we are after 5 years with Chucky and we don't even know what the heck he is.

Nobody's questioning his talent, it's everything else that's still a question mark.

For me it doesn't matter if he plays wing or at center. He is a legit top 6 forward who can score 30 goals with the shot and hands he has. 8 Year deal takes him from age 24-31. That's worth $6M AAV to me.

How was this kid mismanaged? Playing him on the wing because he can't handle the center position is mismanaging him?

He scored 30 goals once in his career in a lost case season with no pressure and expectations! Is Byron a 20 goal scorer now?

Stop comparing him to Monahan and MacKinnon, he's nowhere close to those guys!

Give him Pacioretty's money for 5 years and go from there.

MT did mismanage him. Julien quickly realized he was a winger.

MacKinnon (206pts in 300 NHL games), Monahan (217pts in 319 games), Galchenyuk (204pts in 336 games). Be careful with how you use "nowhere close". What did I say? I said I use MacKinnon and Monahan contract as a benchmark and Galchenyuk can't make more then them. Try to understand the point before you make it into a side debate on something your trying to say I said.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Your missing the point. Not my debate and lets not lose focus on a side debate. Happens way to often. My point is Galchenyuk is worth $6M for 8 years. Galchenyuk may or may not be worth that in the next 2 or 3 years but he likely is over the next 8 years! What is a top 6 winger worth today? A top 6 player who can score 30 goals and his heading into his prime years?

I would have to assume that MB is offering Galchenyuk an 8 year $48m contract. Galchenyuk probably feels that by year 2 or 3 he will be worth significantly more than $6m.

If he signs for 1 year and has a 70pt season at centre, he'll garner significantly more than $6m per year.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
What happens to Galchenyuk's arbitration rights if he does sign a 1 year deal? He will still be an RFA for one more season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would have to assume that MB is offering Galchenyuk an 8 year $48m contract. Galchenyuk probably feels that by year 2 or 3 he will be worth significantly more than $6m.

If he signs for 1 year and has a 70pt season at centre, he'll garner significantly more than $6m per year.

Not sure how Galchenyuk can ask for more money than MacKinnon or Monahan. If I was MB, Id be willing to go as high as $6.25 AAV. Both MacKinnon and Monahan signed their contracts in 2016. It's only one year later.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Here is the problem with the current Habs salary cap management and how Galchenyuk fits.

Option 1
: Sign Galchenyuk to a one year deal at $4M. Save money to go after a free agent. Problem is we already have cap space where we can move Pleky/Emelin who are making $10.1 in cap space. Then we run the risk of Galchenyuk having a break out year next year and then asking for $7M+

Option 2: Sign Galchenyuk to a 8 year deal now at $6.25M (Max AAV). I believe this is a deal you can convince him to sign and it's fair.

So we are willing to let Galchenyuk take a 1 year deal and save what? $2-3M in cap space for one year? Then the following year we get ourselves in cap trouble?

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
For me it doesn't matter if he plays wing or at center. He is a legit top 6 forward who can score 30 goals with the shot and hands he has. 8 Year deal takes him from age 24-31. That's worth $6M AAV to me.

MT did mismanage him. Julien quickly realized he was a winger.

MacKinnon (206pts in 300 NHL games), Monahan (217pts in 319 games), Galchenyuk (204pts in 336 games). Be careful with how you use "nowhere close". What did I say? I said I use MacKinnon and Monahan contract as a benchmark and Galchenyuk can't make more then them. Try to understand the point before you make it into a side debate on something your trying to say I said.

The game is not just about the points.

Those two guys are already legit #1 centers on their respective teams.

This team can't afford a 6M second line winger when our center depth is a mess.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Not sure how Galchenyuk can ask for more money than MacKinnon or Monahan. If I was MB, Id be willing to go as high as $6.25 AAV. Both MacKinnon and Monahan signed their contracts in 2016. It's only one year later.

Both Monahan and MacKinnon deals came after their ELC, so the contract was mostly RFA years with a few UFA years.

Galchenyuk's contract would only cover 2 RFA years and the rest would be UFA years.

So all else being equal it would be normal for Galchenyuk to make more then they do. That's the price of going with a bridge deal like we did.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Both Monahan and MacKinnon deals came after their ELC, so the contract was mostly RFA years with a few UFA years.

Galchenyuk's contract would only cover 2 RFA years and the rest would be UFA years.

So all else being equal it would be normal for Galchenyuk to make more then they do. That's the price of going with a bridge deal like we did.

That's the thing : the "all else" isn't exactly equal.

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg

There is an opportunity to make both player and team happy IMO. This whole center/winger roller coaster ride has confused many to think Galchenyuk is not that good. I would have no problem giving him a little less than MacKinnon or Monahan money.

Agreed there, they should be trying to sign him longterm because he's done damn well even though his minutes have been limited. His even-strength scoring rates throughout his career have been good, not elite, but good

But if I'm Galchenyuk I don't see a longterm future for myself in the organization He's probably better off using arbitration to bridge himself to free agency and get away from Bergevin's regime to a place that wants him and will put him in a position where he can thrive.

Mind you, I also thought Subban should have used arbitration to bridge to free agency to move to an organization that would actually want him. I guess it worked out okay for him in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad