News Article: Galchenyuk Willing to accept 1 year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree. If Chucky can go out and show he can perform at the level of other guys his age he'd be in that $5-6M range. He's not there now and I'm sure he wants to show he can be that player and Bergevin wants him to show it during the season to help the team, in particular, at centre. This is Chucky's "show me" contract and he knows it.

Like I said, is he signs for a $2-3M 1 year contract it'll help the team sign a top end centre for this year which will be tight as it is.

Mistake. Sounds like how Subban was handled (both in contract and treatment as a player). Lock him up now. The talent is there just like how the talent was there with Subban before his bridge deal.

As far as the Cap. We have no issues with cap space when guys like Pleky/Emelin have one year left and $10.1M in cap space. If you evaluate this team and the cap situation over the next 3 years, you will find that there is plenty of cap space next year. With everybody back and Radulov at $7M and Galchenyuk at $6M we still have $4M (+/-) in cap space. Use Pleky/Emelin to create more cap space if we need it.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Maybe Bergevin isn't willing to sign him to a long term deal which is why Chucky is saying he's happy to do a one year to prove himself.

Gives Beregevin more cap room this year to get a true no. 1 and gives Chucky another year to prove himself or be a valuable trade chip at the deadline if we have to trade him.

I realize the downside but there's also an upside too.

I think you are right. Interesting though to look at Shawzee at $3.9M for 6 years and MB being concerned about 6-8 years of Galchenyuk at what, $6M ?

I don't think the "show me" is one way as I do not for a second doubt that Chucky thinks he has been managed by buffoons and his career has suffered for it. I think he also wants to see if CJ will play him as a top offensive guy or whether he will plant him on the 3rd line due to lack of defensive responsibility etc.

Hope Chucky is still with us next season.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
This is decision time on the whole Galchenyuk situation in any case. The organization has to either really commit to him or use him as an asset while his value is still good. There is no middle ground that will benefit the team. If we give him 1 year now, we better be willing to go all the way with the kid moving forward. If not, it's time to make a move.

Totally agree with that.

You accept to live or die with him or you trade him.

His trade value will be higher if he's locked up long term on a decent deal.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I think so. But we must absolutely avoid the arbitration process.

I don't think an arbitration would be in his favour though. If he gets awarded like say 4m and he gives up a 6x6m deal, that means his next contract would have to be worth 6.3m at the very least to make up for the lost 2m because of the arbitration.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
A one year deal is a gamble but it could pay off in the long run. I would prefer a 5 year deal at something like 4-5M per season

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He doesn't deserve 6M per year let's be honest here, way too many holes in his game.

Is he going to be able to overcome them? Maybe, but what if he doesn't?

It's the same treatment as Subban before his bridge deal. The talent is there, lock him up now. $6M for 8 years is not a bad deal. No way he can ask for more money than MacKinnon or Monahan

2017 (age 24): $4M
2018 (age 25): $4.5M
2019 (age 26): $5M
2020 (age 27): $5.5M
2021 (age 28): $6M
2022 (age 29): $6.5M
2023 (age 30): $7M
2024 (age 31): $7.5M

This equals to $5.75M AAV. If he want's $6M for 8 years, give it to him. The talent is there and we will have many 30+ goal seasons from him!

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
It's the same treatment as Subban before his bridge deal. The talent is there, lock him up now. $6M for 8 years is not a bad deal. No way he can ask for more money than MacKinnon or Monahan

This equals to $5.75M AAV. If he want's $6M for 8 years, give it to him. The talent is there and we will have many 30+ goal seasons from him!

Is it know that AG would accept 6 million?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Brisson is handling Galchenyuk and owned Bergevin on the DD deal. It'll happen again.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Is it know that AG would accept 6 million?

Not sure where they would start at in a long term deal. I'm sure their strategy going in is to focus at a 1 year deal. Bergevin needs to change his tune (vs what he says through the media) and tell this kid that we want you to succeed as a Habs (winger or center) for a very long time. Use MacKinnon and Monahan contract as a bench mark ($6.3M). Tell him that the Habs see him as similar talents but he has not reached their level yet but we have confidence he will.

I usually support Bergevin but if he is not trying to get a long term deal done now, he didn't learn from the Subban situation. Never knuckle and dime talents like Subban and Galchenyuk! Especially when they are heading into their prime years.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Mistake. Sounds like how Subban was handled (both in contract and treatment as a player). Lock him up now. The talent is there just like how the talent was there with Subban before his bridge deal.

As far as the Cap. We have no issues with cap space when guys like Pleky/Emelin have one year left and $10.1M in cap space. If you evaluate this team and the cap situation over the next 3 years, you will find that there is plenty of cap space next year. With everybody back and Radulov at $7M and Galchenyuk at $6M we still have $4M (+/-) in cap space. Use Pleky/Emelin to create more cap space if we need it.

I'd prefer a long contract as well, I'd also be inclined in offering around 5.5M$-6M$ for the maximum contract length. People saying he is not worth that much have to look at his comparables and also realize that any contractual year after 2018-2019 is actually buying UFA years and this is significant.

But, I don't really like the analogy with Subban's situation. Subban was pulling for a long-term contract at a reasonable price tag for the long run. The organization chose otherwise. In this situation, it's in Galchenyuk's interest to have a 1 or 2 year(s) deal and he seems to be asking for such a contract. If he's open to a long-term contract at a reasonable salary and not asking like 7M$, then sure, by all means, lock him up.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

This is not the same situation as PK, PK was dominant, Chucky is not.

Brisson is handling Galchenyuk and owned Bergevin on the DD deal. It'll happen again.

Yes please, I hope Brisson owns Bergevin again and Chucky is extended for 3.5M/year long term!

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl

I agree with the general idea, but I'd suggest a different salarial structure throughout the years :P

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd prefer a long contract as well, I'd also be inclined in offering around 5.5M$-6M$ for the maximum contract length. People saying he is not worth that much have to look at his comparables and also realize that any contractual year after 2018-2019 is actually buying UFA years and this is significant.

But, I don't really like the analogy with Subban's situation. Subban was pulling for a long-term contract at a reasonable price tag for the long run. The organization chose otherwise. In this situation, it's in Galchenyuk's interest to have a 1 or 2 year(s) deal and he seems to be asking for such a contract. If he's open to a long-term contract at a reasonable salary and not asking like 7M$, then sure, by all means, lock him up.

My whole problem with the situation is Bergevin needs to shut his mouth. I think he's a good GM but he opens his mouth too much. Just look at how Galchenyuk reacted in the end of season meeting with the media and then what Bergevin and Julien said in their meeting with the media. This kid was clearly upset about something. I would of loved to be a fly on the wall when Bergevin and Julien met with him.

Talent is there. Get the deal done!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If he's open to a long-term contract at a reasonable salary and not asking like 7M$, then sure, by all means, lock him up.

I don't see someone like Brisson advising his client to settle for a low amount. Galchenyuk will produce, question is does he still want to be here? I wouldn't blame him for seeking a new start elsewhere.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't see someone like Brisson advising his client to settle for a low amount. Galchenyuk will produce, question is does he still want to be here? I wouldn't blame him for seeking a new start elsewhere.

I agree. He has not been treated very well and what bugs me the most is what our management is saying to the media. How do you think Galchenyuk feels about the organization. Just look at how he reacted in the end of season meeting with the media..

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl

Yes please, I hope Brisson owns Bergevin again and Chucky is extended for 3.5M/year long term!

I know I shouldn't reply to this because this is clear conscious ignorance of what the guy meant: that Brisson made Bergevin sign Desharnais to a ridiculous contract that he did not deserve (both money and length, but mostly length). In Galchenyuk's case, it would be equivalent to signing him, 8 years at 7+M$ :p:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The top 6 player that he is, opened the playoffs as a winger on the 4th line. A player of his caliber will think twice about how much he's willing to commit to the Habs. Just the fact that a one year deal is being floated about as what Galchenyuk would consider is a red flag. I have a feeling he's a goner.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I know I shouldn't reply to this because this is clear conscious ignorance of what the guy meant: that Brisson made Bergevin sign Desharnais to a ridiculous contract that he did not deserve (both money and length, but mostly length). In Galchenyuk's case, it would be equivalent to signing him, 8 years at 7+M$ :p:

Yup. Comment was mangled by Fox News: "we distort, you deride." ;)

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
This whole situation reminds me of Ryan Johanssen in Columbus. Torts put him in the doghouse because he wasn't good enough two-way, because he didn't play hard enough consistently.

Johanssen asked for a trade knowing that the coach was ruining his chances at being a 1st line center who will cash in on 7+ million a year.

People forget that Galchenyuk centered Semin and Eller for half a season. Asking your top prospect to carry those two and when he fails blame it on his bad two way play and he isn't a game changer? Pretty sure Crosby would be the only guy on planet earth that could carry Semin and Eller.

The way he has been handled since season 2 has been a huge head scratcher and Galchenyuk isn't about to give the team a long term deal when he thinks, as do many in the hockey world that he can/is a gamebreaker.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

It's a relative world. Subban was not dominate before his bridge deal. He has very good seasons of 36pts and 38pts and showed tons of potential. Most people with hockey sense, knew he was going to be very good! That deal was in 2013

Fast forward 4 years later. Galchenyuk has similar question marks in his game as Subban did back when. The knock on Subban was his risk taking in unnecessary situations. This kept him off of team Canada's roster but he surely has fine tuned his game over the last few seasons. Galchenyuk is a serious talent and his question mark is does he have the vision and skating to be a #1C. Regardless of that, he's still a legit 30 goal threat on the wing at worse case. That's worth $6M in today's NHL!

$6M for 8 years gets the deal done. Make it happen.

There is a pattern here with the Habs. Management, Fans, and Media are way to hard on our players! And we wonder why players don't want to play for the Habs eh? Support your team and your potential elite level superstars FFS!

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree with the general idea, but I'd suggest a different salarial structure throughout the years :P

I was just showing example of how each year could go. Personally, I would give him whatever money he wanted yearly as long as the AAV would be close to $6M and was within the CBA.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

3.5M per year after a 60 point season is a ridiculous contract... Ok, buddy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad