Friedman: Galchenyuk likely to be traded

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I agree there are way too many Galchenyuk threads but Stepan has been declined every time.

I didn't mean that Stepan was a good fit by any means. Just calling out the absurdity of the post in relation to way Galchenyuk gets hyped and then constantly offered to every team as well, thats all.

For what its worth, i think hes a great player. I just dont think his future lies at C, which is a problem for a lot of people.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Knowing Bergevin, he'll probably trade him for a couple of those ****** 4th liners he got at the trade deadline last year.

Like when he got that BUM Martinsen and whatever was left of Steve Ott's long since cremated remains.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I can see Galchenyuk traded and breaking out on another team. I highly doubt his 30 goal production in the 2015-2016 season was a fluke. He can still be a #1b center on the Islanders for instance.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I can see Galchenyuk traded and breaking out on another team. I highlydoubt his 30 goal production in the 2015-2016 season was a fluke. He can still be a #1b center on the Islanders for instance.

Indeed
Not sure why people are undervaluing Galchenyuk.
Just because hes in a lot of proposals doesnt mean hes bad. He was top 10 in scoring after 1/4 of the season (he got injured). He got 2 knee injuries, and still finished on pace for 60 pts.

The reason why the habs might be looking to trade him is not because hes bad, but rather because hes one of the few chips the habs have that can land you a top C (in a package most likely).

If the habs already had a top center, Galchenyuk wouldnt be in any proposals because hes a good player...

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Indeed
Not sure why people are undervaluing Galchenyuk.
Just because hes in a lot of proposals doesnt mean hes bad. He was top 10 in scoring after 1/4 of the season (he got injured). He got 2 knee injuries, and still finished on pace for 60 pts.

The reason why the habs might be looking to trade him is not because hes bad, but rather because hes one of the few chips the habs have that can land you a top C (in a package most likely).

If the habs already had a top center, Galchenyuk wouldnt be in any proposals because hes a good player...

Exactly this.

hockeyheadlines

Oct 9, 2016
Canada
Rnh is a 2nd line center which is more than galchenyuk can say.

If Bergevin trades Galchenyuk for a player like Hopkins, he'll be fired before the end of next season. This would be a huge mistake.

Galchenyuk can score 30 goals on a very defense oriented team and Hopkins can't manage to get more than 24 on an offense-minded one.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
I know his coaches seem to dislike the guy but is it really smart to trade him when his value is so low. He's a legit top-6 forward but the Habs seem determined to keep him as a bottom-6.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Blues
Galchenyuk
Drouin

Canadiens
Edmundson
Barbashev
Johnson, Tyler

Lightning
Jaden Schwartz
Sergachev
Juulsen,Noah

LOL. Galchenyuk and the Habs two best prospects to get Joel Edmundson, Barbashev and a guy that Tampa can't even retain? Come on.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Carter+ for Galchenyuk+

If I was the Habs, I would make this trade. However the kings get our 2nd round pick and we get their 1st. This closes up the 9 year age gap!

Kings:
- Carter
- 2017 1st (11th pick)

Habs:
- Galchenyuk
- 2017 2nd (56th pick)

If you don't like. We just keep Galchenyuk. 9 year age gap is massive!

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Trading a proven 30 goal scorer at 22 years old for a prospect who has yet to play?

if you want to use that logic...

we'll trade you Ryan for Price... he's a proven 30G score and 2nd overall pick, you know he's way better than Price

c'mon man, use your ****ing head

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Bergevin trades Galchenyuk for a player like Hopkins, he'll be fired before the end of next season. This would be a huge mistake.

Galchenyuk can score 30 goals on a very defense oriented team and Hopkins can't manage to get more than 24 on an offense-minded one.

Agreed. Galchenyuk is worth more than most fans would admit. Many GM's are interested in a talent like this. Even if he is a winger ;)

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Galchenyuk also gets busted down to the fourth line and Nuge doesn't. :laugh:

Seriously though, I like Galchenyuk and would love to have him playing wing for the Oilers. I think I've mentioned before that I have no idea what is value is - he was a top draft pick, had a good rookie season and has become a good scorer. So why is Montreal unhappy with him? Why are they wanting to move him? There has to be something else here, teams don't just get fed up with young 30 goal scorers like seems to be happening here. If there is something behind the scenes going on, other NHL teams probably have some idea of that, and it might affect his value to other teams because of it. I'd do Nuge for Galchenyuk, but wouldn't be surprised if it took more to get him. Given the scenario, I wouldn't be surprised if he went for less either.

As per Bergevin, he might feel like he's on the hot seat anyway, and if that's the case then he could very well be in desperation mode. I'm not saying that the Habs should pounce on a Nuge deal, there are other centers out there that they should be looking into as well. But if Bergevin is dead set on getting a top six center and no number one centers are out there, he might have to take one of those 2C's. Maybe not for Galchenyuk, but he seems to be comfortable with the idea of moving him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Galchenyuk also gets busted down to the fourth line and Nuge doesn't. :laugh:

Seriously though, I like Galchenyuk and would love to have him playing wing for the Oilers. I think I've mentioned before that I have no idea what is value is - he was a top draft pick, had a good rookie season and has become a good scorer. So why is Montreal unhappy with him? Why are they wanting to move him? There has to be something else here, teams don't just get fed up with young 30 goal scorers like seems to be happening here. If there is something behind the scenes going on, other NHL teams probably have some idea of that, and it might affect his value to other teams because of it. I'd do Nuge for Galchenyuk, but wouldn't be surprised if it took more to get him. Given the scenario, I wouldn't be surprised if he went for less either.

It's because we drafted him as our potential #1C and he has not become that player for us after 5 seasons. He is a serious young talent who can score goals and we would trade him "IF" we can get a legit #1C in return. We would even add a pick or prospect on top of Galchenyuk to make the deal work.

xshaanx

Apr 18, 2016
People seem to forget he finished last season with 30 goals.
He was top 10 in league scoring at the start of the season before getting injured.
He had an average end of season and im sure it was due in large part to his injury, the way he was handled, and a completely new coach who has yet to see what he can do.

Not trying to make excuses but the kid has talent and people who havent watched the habs consistently need to stop acting like they know everything about him lol

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It's because we drafted him as our potential #1C and he has not become that player for us after 5 seasons. He is a serious young talent who can score goals and we would trade him "IF" we can get a legit #1C in return. We would even add a pick or prospect on top of Galchenyuk to make the deal work.

I don't believe for a second that this is the entire story. It might be with fans, but competent management doesn't sour on a guy just because he isn't turning into a #1C at the rate that they thought he would.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't believe for a second that this is the entire story. It might be with fans, but competent management doesn't sour on a guy just because he isn't turning into a #1C at the rate that they thought he would.

Why is the Avs considering to trade Duchene? You believe the story of them wanting to address their D?

Listen, this is Montreal where almost everything is blown out of proportion. We were likely being very hard on Galchenyuk and Beaulieu because we didn't want their egos to reach the roof when they were negotiating their next contract this off season. Julien was sending a message and they needed to compete harder on the ice.

However, the real reason why we would trade Galchenyuk is only if it address a team need... #1C. Believe it or not but those are the reasons.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
People seem to forget he finished last season with 30 goals.
He was top 10 in league scoring at the start of the season before getting injured.
He had an average end of season and im sure it was due in large part to his injury, the way he was handled, and a completely new coach who has yet to see what he can do.

Not trying to make excuses but the kid has talent and people who havent watched the habs consistently need to stop acting like they know everything about him lol

Nobody forgets anything with him. It's nearly impossible to forget about high potential forwards from huge hockey markets, there are discussions about them all the time. :laugh:

It's more that people have seen that Montreal isn't sold on him being their #1C so they are making offers for him so they can bring him in as a top six winger instead. And on HF, that typically involves both sides valuing their player moreso than the one on the other team. You guys don't see fair value for your 30 goal scoring young center, and others are offering for a top six winger who just had an uneventful second half of the season and is being shopped by his team.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Why is the Avs considering to trade Duchene? You believe the story of them wanting to address their D?

Listen, this is Montreal where almost everything is blown out of proportion. We were likely being very hard on Galchenyuk and Beaulieu because we didn't want their egos to reach the roof when they were negotiating their next contract this off season. Julien was sending a message and they needed to compete harder on the ice.

However, the real reason why we would trade Galchenyuk is only if it address a team need... #1C. Believe it or not but those are the reasons.

The Aves are considering trading Duchene for a number of reasons that have been addressed numerous times - addressing their D, Duchene being disgruntled, the team needing a major overhaul, etc. It isn't just about fixing the defense.

I agree that everything seems to get blown out of proportion with Montreal rumors though. But remember the last time that a big name was rumored to be on the outs with management - it took awhile, but he was traded, and it was for a good player, but a return that most Habs fans weren't happy with (due to age primarily).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad