Friedman: Galchenyuk likely to be traded

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Nobody forgets anything with him. It's nearly impossible to forget about high potential forwards from huge hockey markets, there are discussions about them all the time. :laugh:

It's more that people have seen that Montreal isn't sold on him being their #1C so they are making offers for him so they can bring him in as a top six winger instead. And on HF, that typically involves both sides valuing their player moreso than the one on the other team. You guys don't see fair value for your 30 goal scoring young center, and others are offering for a top six winger who just had an uneventful second half of the season and is being shopped by his team.

Galchenyuk is 24 and heading into his prime years. All 30 NHL GM's are interested when a talent like this is made available. Habs will get full value for a former 3rd overall pick who has a 30 goal season and averaging 25 goals, and 50+ points from age 21-23. Most agree that his potential is so much more!

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I don't believe for a second that this is the entire story. It might be with fans, but competent management doesn't sour on a guy just because he isn't turning into a #1C at the rate that they thought he would.

There have been numerous local rumors of Galchenyuk partying hard (drugs, etc). Also, it doesn't help that Galchenyuk looks lost when he doesn't have the puck (his defensive game isn't there). I still believe in Galchenyuk - I think he's going to become a beast of a player rather soon. His PPG player pre-injury this season was no fluke either. His confidence was shot when he kept being ragdolled around the line-up. Whoever gets Galchenyuk will be one happy team before not long.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There have been numerous local rumors of Galchenyuk partying hard (drugs, etc). Also, it doesn't help that Galchenyuk looks lost when he doesn't have the puck (his defensive game isn't there). I still believe in Galchenyuk - I think he's going to become a beast of a player rather soon. His PPG player pre-injury this season was no fluke either. His confidence was shot when he kept being ragdolled around the line-up. Whoever gets Galchenyuk will be one happy team before not long.

If he is traded, I agree.

xshaanx

Apr 18, 2016
Nobody forgets anything with him. It's nearly impossible to forget about high potential forwards from huge hockey markets, there are discussions about them all the time. :laugh:

It's more that people have seen that Montreal isn't sold on him being their #1C so they are making offers for him so they can bring him in as a top six winger instead. And on HF, that typically involves both sides valuing their player moreso than the one on the other team. You guys don't see fair value for your 30 goal scoring young center, and others are offering for a top six winger who just had an uneventful second half of the season and is being shopped by his team.

I agree but some(most) of the offers i see on here for him are pretty lowballing and undervaluing imo

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Galchenyuk is 24 and heading into his prime years. All 30 NHL GM's are interested when a talent like this is made available. Habs will get full value for a former 3rd overall pick who has a 30 goal season and averaging 25 goals, and 50+ points from age 21-23. Most agree that his potential is so much more!

Probably true, but having interest doesn't equal paying any certain price. Having interest could mean that they would move picks and depth players for him.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
If I was the Habs, I would make this trade. However the kings get our 2nd round pick and we get their 1st. This closes up the 9 year age gap!

Kings:
- Carter
- 2017 1st (11th pick)

Habs:
- Galchenyuk
- 2017 2nd (56th pick)

If you don't like. We just keep Galchenyuk. 9 year age gap is massive!

Keep him! You're not going to get the better player and better pick right now in this deal. Thats an ugly deal for LA. Only way I can see Galchenyuk being moved is a Subban/Weber type trade like this but without the crazy dealing of picks.

And you keep complaining about a "9 year age gap" but Carter is one of the most hardcore gym rats in the NHL. He keeps his body in shape better than most 20 year olds. So worrying about an age gap shouldn't be a big deal.

Last edited:

xshaanx

Apr 18, 2016
Keep him! You're not going to get the better player and better pick right now in this deal. Thats an ugly deal for LA. Only way I can see Galchenyuk being moved is a Subban/Weber type trade like this but without the crazy dealing of picks.

And you keep complaining about a "9 year age gap" but Carter is one of the most hardcore gym rats in the NHL. He keeps his body in shape better than most 20 year olds. So worrying about an age gap shouldn't be a big deal.

You must be delusional. Fair ask imo

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
You must be delusional. Fair ask imo
Carter is a much better all round player who is also much better at playing center. Saying that the poster must be delusional for point out the Kings give up the better player and a much better pick is the truth, not delusion

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
At this point, I don't think Galy even enters that top pick territory. To me, he's worth a mid 1st and a good prospect, or a top 4 defenceman.

Galy for Ellis and a 1st.

Liked him as a player, tons of skill, but I've yet to see him play top line hockey for more than a 5 or so game stretch.

Ryan Ellis???

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
At this point, I don't think Galy even enters that top pick territory. To me, he's worth a mid 1st and a good prospect, or a top 4 defenceman.

Galy for Ellis and a 1st.

Liked him as a player, tons of skill, but I've yet to see him play top line hockey for more than a 5 or so game stretch.

You're clearly over valuing picks - significantly. :shakehead

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Blues
Galchenyuk
Drouin

Canadiens
Edmundson
Barbashev
Johnson, Tyler

Lightning
Jaden Schwartz
Sergachev
Juulsen,Noah

So the Blues give up by far the least value and return by far the most value.
You're a Blues fan, I'm assuming?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad