Rumor: Gagner New Captain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
People are AGAINST Hall being captain? All I've seen is people who aren't especially against Gagner being captain, versus people who are ARE especially against Gagner being captain. I think you're fabricating a stance to argue against.

You need to read more of these captain threads then.

Oct 15, 2008
No, Smith is to Ethan Moreau, what good non core captain is to bad non core captain. Disproving your point. ;)

What exactly did Smith and Moreau's captainships have in common? Besides absolutely nothing. One player led by example, while the other fumbled his way to the penalty box, led dressing room splitting factions, and embarrassed the team both on and off the ice with the infamous Cow Town New Year's unpaid bar tab fiasco.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
IMO if Hall isn't ready for the C then you roll with no C for now. This team will be Hall's and RNH's no matter who wears what on their jersey, if Gagner is truly a leader in the room then give him an A. Gagner would get Horcoffed if he gets the C IMO.

Captain-Ference (short term guy with cup experience)
A's on the road-Gagner and Smid
A's at home-Hall and Eberle/RNH

Last edited:

The Perfect Human*

Jason Smith was not a top pairing d man. Not even close.
Agreed. At his best he was a #3-4 defenseman that when playing with Pronger was passable as a top-pairing guy.

For him to be playing in the ideal situation it took the addition of Jaro Spacek as a #2 behind Pronger in 2006. Staios was playing at his peak that year as well (#3-4). Both were stabilized by playing with a true top-pairing defenseman in Spacek/Pronger.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
What exactly did Smith and Moreau's captainships have in common? Besides absolutely nothing. One player led by example, while the other fumbled his way to the penalty box, led dressing room splitting factions, and embarrassed the team both on and off the ice with the infamous Cow Town New Year's unpaid bar tab fiasco.

How about neither one was among the best players on the team at any point in their career, something that many people are using as an argument against the hypothetical Gagner captaincy.

The Perfect Human*

Yes he was. Lots of people here think Smid is a #2D. Smith was better than Smid in every aspect except skating.

Smith was a better hitter and a better puck-mover. That's all I'll give him over Smid. Equal defensive shut-down presence. Smid the better skater, which is a big factor.

To me Smid right now = Smith in his prime.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Smith was a better hitter and a better puck-mover. That's all I'll give him over Smid. Equal defensive shut-down presence. Smid the better skater, which is a big factor.

I agree. Slightly different skills and very similar effectiveness.

Billybaroo*

Well, neither was elite and neither was a core player. Thought that was pretty clear to virtually everybody. Not surprisingly, aparently not.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Smith was an inept puck mover. This was the bang it up the boards era and Smith and Staios would do that incessantly. Ryan Smyth was one of the better players in the game for finding garbage dumps off the boards and somehow making a rush off of it.

To even have PMD or Shutdown D and Smith in the same sentence is a laugh. Lets not forget either how much MacT had to do with Smith and Staios playing the best hockey of their career right here.

oilman9482

Jun 21, 2010
Ontario
IMO if Hall isn't ready for the C then you roll with no C for now. This team will be Hall's and RNH's no matter who wears what on their jersey, if Gagner is truly a leader in the room then give him an A. Gagner would get Horcoffed if he gets the C IMO.

Captain-Ference (short term guy with cup experience)
A's on the road-Gagner and Smid
A's at home-Hall and Eberle/RNH

This. Very well said, couldn't agree more.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
"Someone shared with me that a blogger already knew who our captain was. He can come share it with me" - Dallas Eakins on Gagner report

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
"Someone shared with me that a blogger already knew who our captain was. He can come share it with me" - Dallas Eakins on Gagner report

I think "Wayne Gretz" might have an accident in his pants if he tried to tell Eakins face to face what he wrote in his blog.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
"I'm not going to rush into this... If it’s not until November or December, we’ll do it then." #oilers Dallas Eakins on naming next captain

http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=4&id=443365

Definitely seems like a decision hasn't been made on this yet. Possible that there was some bad info here.

11:55-Tencer gets owned

I'll be Eakin's biggest fan regardless of on-ice results if he answers every rambling scenario Tencer proposes with his ongoing effort to avoid letting people answer questions in their own words, in the same way as he did in that video.

That was fantastic

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
I'll be Eakin's biggest fan regardless of on-ice results if he answers every rambling scenario Tencer proposes with his ongoing effort to avoid letting people answer questions in their own words, in the same way as he did in that video.

That was fantastic

I've always thought of Stauffer as being more the one who tries to lead people on with his questions. Tencer just says dumb things period, IMO. What's nice is that Eakins won't humor someone for asking a stupid question... you just know Krueger and Renney would have pretended like Tencer had asked them something of substance rather than just give the minimum reply then glare at him.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I've always thought of Stauffer as being more the one who tries to lead people on with his questions. Tencer just says dumb things period, IMO. What's nice is that Eakins won't humor someone for asking a stupid question... you just know Krueger and Renney would have pretended like Tencer had asked them something of substance rather than just give the minimum reply then glare at him.

There is asking leading questions, and then there is presenting verbal essays and asking if someone agrees or disagrees with it. Any Tencer interview, you spend more time listening to him presenting his opinions than listening to the guests talk.

I normally find Tencer fairly inoffensive, but the passive aggressive way he goes about trying get sound bites without ever asking a real question just irritates the hell out of me.

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
Renney and Kreuger would always nod and smile while being asked questions like Tencer was asking. I love how Eakins just kept staring until he finished his question. Seemed to made Tencer uncomfortable as he began rambling on and just trailed off at the end.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
About time we get a no bs coach. Some guys are in for a wakeup, will be interesting to see who responds to him and who doesn't. He's a coach that demands respect rather than panders for it, no more excuses. Time to weed out guys who arnt willing to give it 100% both on and OFF the ice. Once he finds someone who can handle his message and deliver on the ice while providing a good example for everyone else he will name a captain. I have a feeling Ference is a strong choice, especially given that he's already done more in the community than any other player. He's spent his whole off season in edmonton training and doing his November project, which Eakins is a major fan of. Ference doesn't put up with anything on the ice and sticks up for teammates in any situation, most if all the guy is a champion. He knows how to win .

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
About time we get a no bs coach. Some guys are in for a wakeup, will be interesting to see who responds to him and who doesn't. He's a coach that demands respect rather than panders for it, no more excuses. Time to weed out guys who arnt willing to give it 100% both on and OFF the ice. Once he finds someone who can handle his message and deliver on the ice while providing a good example for everyone else he will name a captain. I have a feeling Ference is a strong choice, especially given that he's already done more in the community than any other player. He's spent his whole off season in edmonton training and doing his November project, which Eakins is a major fan of. Ference doesn't put up with anything on the ice and sticks up for teammates in any situation, most if all the guy is a champion. He knows how to win .

Don't look now but the hard as nails, hard work coach has only met two Oilers so far, Ryan Smyth, and RNH, and looks to be less prepared then the last no bs coach, Phat Quinn, who came in here and by his own admission hadn't even seen most of our players play before.

Eakins is still in the process of moving to Edmonton, isn't settled in, and has the added distraction of family moving here sometime this week. This on top of everything else on his plate this week learning a new NHL job and meeting a new team. Learning curve cliff ahead..have an experience.

This looks like not great due diligence or preparation. If I'm CEO of somebody I hired months ago to be a manager of a company in deep deep **** I kind of expect said hire to be here earlier than minutes before work in earnest starts. The Oilers brass now has about a couple days to chew over what they want to establish in TC, what drills, what approach, get up to speed etc. This is prep Oilers style. Just throw it together at last minute as if its a Junior squad. Strike that, theres Junior Squads proably much more prepared.

I'm a bit bothered that Eakins hasn't done more to establish with the players and team during the offseason. Calls on the phone and twitter doesn't seem like much.

He's meeting everybody on the ice on Wednesday and during the physicals. Thats where it starts. One of my worries is by the time the team starts to get a handle on what Eakins is even like it'll be around November.
This assuming no infamous "philosophical differences" that this org is famous for.

jebus, this could be Bucky and Steve Smith essentially running everything for the first while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad