Rumor: Gagner New Captain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billybaroo*

How long would you expect Tampa to sign a 37 old player like St.Louis for. He had just finished his previous 6 year contract...

:shakehead

Lucid? Krecji?
Great point. Do your homework
Oh, btw, good job on not using "SS" OR "fanboys".

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Ference would get my vote, Mature, has won, trains diligently, mentors, respected around the league, can lead on the ice with physical play and fighting if need be. What else would you want from a captain?

Yep, I'd want this guy leading my team considering what the other options are.

Couldn't agree more if he shows that he fits in well in camp he is the most suitable short term option, hall would be good dont get me wrong but he is just too young to really show the team what it's like to battle day in and day out. I can see Eakins liking Ference alot as well as the fan base

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
This thread:laugh: A blogger rumor causes a riot, next time its a Omark rumor about a illigate child with Renneys wife!

Theres a outshot chance that Gagsy gets the C, its make not much sense but it could happen if a couple turns the job down!

For Gagsy- 6 year oiler, nice kid who probably could run the charity stuff and a sober face for the team.He also trying hard out there on the ice. could be a good dressingroom guy?

Against Gagsy- Isnt a lock as a future Oiler. Arbitration filed last 2 contracts.
Short contracts. The hard trying out there doesnt lead to much(se for).
Has a history to be streaky. Isnt even top 5 best player on the team.
Is a complimentary player.

Hall is a hardworking gamechanger a franchise guy, its his team now whoever gets the C, should be very very surprised if he didnt get the question first.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Couldn't agree more if he shows that he fits in well in camp he is the most suitable short term option, hall would be good dont get me wrong but he is just too young to really show the team what it's like to battle day in and day out. I can see Eakins liking Ference alot as well as the fan base

Yea exactly, give it to Hall when Ference retires in 3-4 years. By then Hall should have seen some success with the team and be mature enough that the other guys would look up to him.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Lucid? Krecji?
Great point. Do your homework
Oh, btw, good job on not using "SS" OR "fanboys".

Do my homework? Do your own.

The Oilers had set a precedent of signing forwards who are part of their core now and moving forward to long term deals. Boston never did that before signing Krecji and LuciC until this season with Bergeron.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Are you ******** me?? Hall battles day in and day out more than any other player on the roster.

Oct 15, 2008
None of which is really relevant to whether or not he'd be a good captain.

Right. Mediocre non-core players make great captains.

See Moreau, Ethan.

Gagner arguably shouldnt even be on the team at all, never mind being the captain of the team.

Is this the summer of George?

MrOiler

Jul 28, 2006
Calgary
I'm not against Gagner as captain - for a kid, he's paid some dues (6 seasons and he's just turned 24 y.o.).

However, I'm starting to buy into the talk about a bridge captain (like Ference) for 2 years until they top line is a little more mature.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Hall spent last summer while under rehab working on his passing game, and look at the results it netted. He was also more aggressive last year,

I don't know how anyone could say Hall has a poor off-season regime.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't know. The Pronger type personality is the reason why many people don't want Hall to be captain.

Hall has a Pronger type of personality? Who are these many people that don't want Hall as captain?
I'm not sure where some of you get this stuff from about Hall's supposed immaturity and now he has a Pronger type of personality unworthy of being captain according to MANY people? Oh good lord. :shakehead
It's funny how some of you act as if you know these guys behind the scenes, mind boggling actually.

Anyway, i don't really see the argument for Gagner being captain. Think about it, how many captain's are second tier, relatively unproven young players signed to a bridge contract? The captain is either one of the best players on the team or a veteran who has been through the wars. Promoting a player like Gagner to captain would be an unprecedented move.

I wasn't referencing that. I'm just saying game ready shape. I'll be straight up here. Eberle is the worst for it. But I don't know that either RNH or Hall have been in peak condition and using best possible work out regimen either. Krueger hinted at it last year and singled Gagner for praise multiple times and using him as an example in so many words of what the club wanted the core players to be doing.

Are there any quotes about Hall not being in game ready shape while Gagner is some work out demon far and above everybody else?
I agree that the anti-Gagner stuff gets out of hand at times but the stuff being said about Hall's character and work ethic in this thread are just as bad.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
No, Smith is to Ethan Moreau, what good non core captain is to bad non core captain. Disproving your point. ;)

Jason Smith was a top pairing level shutdown Dman. He was the undisputed leader in the dressing room. One of the greatest warriors to wear an oilers jersey in the last 20 years. He commanded the respect of his peers. Moreau was not that, and Gagner isn't even close.

Billybaroo*

Jason Smith was a top pairing level shutdown Dman. He was the undisputed leader in the dressing room. One of the greatest warriors to wear an oilers jersey in the last 20 years. He commanded the respect of his peers. Moreau was not that, and Gagner isn't even close.

Jason Smith was not a top pairing d man. Not even close.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Jason Smith was not a top pairing d man. Not even close.
In theory, very true. But for many years, on a mediocre Oilers squad, he was forced into it many years. Same with Steve Staois. A bottom pairing dman if I ever saw one, but due to the Oilers pathetic drafting and roster incompetence, played way above his water line.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I wasn't referencing that. I'm just saying game ready shape. I'll be straight up here. Eberle is the worst for it. But I don't know that either RNH or Hall have been in peak condition and using best possible work out regimen either. Krueger hinted at it last year and singled Gagner for praise multiple times and using him as an example in so many words of what the club wanted the core players to be doing. Why would a club be stating that unless there WAS an issue?

ALL of our top picks need to be playing better, even including Hall. These are top draftpicks in the world playing together. They should fairly quickly be owning. They weren't even owning the AHL for the first month last year as they worked their way into shape. I would imagine the org thinks this isn't enough and expects more. I would say that the best players in the world should motivate to be the best. A tad bit of resting on laurels has gone on. Theres 3 forwards on this club that are obviously more talented than Gagner. But so far only one of them, Hall, is showing the same tenacity.

Didn't Gagner get demoted to the 4th line when Quinn was here due to work ethic?

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Jason Smith was a top pairing level shutdown Dman. He was the undisputed leader in the dressing room. One of the greatest warriors to wear an oilers jersey in the last 20 years. He commanded the respect of his peers.

And was he all these things when he was named captain of the Oilers, his third NHL team?

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Hall has a Pronger type of personality? Who are these many people that don't want Hall as captain?
I'm not sure where some of you get this stuff from about Hall's supposed immaturity and now he has a Pronger type of personality unworthy of being captain according to MANY people? Oh good lord. :shakehead
It's funny how some of you act as if you know these guys behind the scenes, mind boggling actually.

Well it's definitely not me, I think Hall is a completely fine choice as captain. The more vocal people on here against Hall being captain were apparently alpha'd by him at the bar.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Didn't Gagner get demoted to the 4th line when Quinn was here due to work ethic?

He got demoted due to Quinn not knowing who he was. Pat Quinn had seriously stated he had never seen Sam Gagner play. He actually stated that. Gagner was "demoted" right out of camp presumably due to size and assumption of creampuffery..

How many people are noting that even this past due date codger soon recognized Gagner was among his better players.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Well it's definitely not me, I think Hall is a completely fine choice as captain. The more vocal people on here against Hall being captain were apparently alpha'd by him at the bar.

People are AGAINST Hall being captain? All I've seen is people who aren't especially against Gagner being captain, versus people who are ARE especially against Gagner being captain. I think you're fabricating a stance to argue against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad