Post-Game Talk: Gagner > McDrai

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
McLeod hasnt brought anything but he was injured last year and remained injured missing all of training camp and didnt magically heal for game 1. Guy maybe is avoiding a surgery or something, but it doesnt look like hes gonna be able to provide much beyond limited 4C duties this year. At least theres a reason hes not performing, most of the guys are just slumming it.
And what are we expecting from a healed McLeod? He is what he is.. fast player with no finish. He has never projected to be anything more. Our bottom 6 needs a punisher. Look at what Kane and Desharnais did last couple games. Kostin may be a healthy scratch material but at least he had a pulse unlike all the other vanilla players (including Holloway)

Samwise sure has it. :)
Not sure if Gagner could bring it consistently. I fear it was just a one off night for him.

Reactions: mkatcherin00

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
No f***ing chance we lose that game if Skinner was in their net. We would have scored 8.
And who would have scored on him? Nurse with his muffins? Foegele ? Drai whiffs? McInjured? Holloway no finish? Oilers buzzed around and shot a lot but quality just wasn't there.

Dallas showed how to finish your chances with assist from Nurse and Ceci

Reactions: M Ace and ElysiumAB

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Interesting to see how much difference a smart player makes to this team.
Why would that be...because this team doesnt have enough of them. Gagner is a smart player and it really showed last night,
So many massive mistakes by this team at the wrong time. Vet teams like Vegas and Dallas will just continue to make them pay. Even well coached teams like Vancouver have made them pay.

What we have here (now that Brown is out) is essentially a 2 and a half line team of players that (for the most part) cant seem to make sense of the defensive part of the game and relies almost exclusively on outscoring their mistakes.
That is why I am not hammering on Connor Brown like many posters are doing.
He isnt part of the problem. He has been excellent defensively the last 3-4 games and scoring is just a matter of time. I dont have an issue with a player that isnt costing the team because he plays strong defence. He does something that too many players on this team wont or cant seem to do.
That's where the problem with this team lies. The Oilers lack of intelligence/lack of commitment on defence is the reason why this team is 2-6-1.
You cant continue to try and score 4 to 5 goals per game (outscore your mistakes) and expect to be a contending team.
Its just not going to happen.
Until that changes this team isnt going anywhere.

Meh I'm not sold on Brown. They've all had games put together where they were somewhat defensively responsible and looked good. It's just that it rotates through the whole team.

Kane was f***ing awful, then turns it around. Is just an example. It's a merry go round of players rotating into garbage play/games.

They have a next man up mentality. Except it's for mistakes. This game players X,Y,Z
Next game players A,B,C
Next game players M,N,O

Heck the most consistent players on the team this year have been the goalies. Consistently below average is the problem.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
And who would have scored on him? Nurse with his muffins? Foegele ? Drai whiffs? McInjured? Holloway no finish? Oilers buzzed around and shot a lot but quality just wasn't there.

Gagner would've had a 9 point night.

Bouchard still would've hit the post 3 times tho.

Reactions: LTIR

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
Well f*** me then. I thought he got shuffled to some other random role.

If we lose it has been the tendency this year for the team to only make the players that weren't a joke on the night to answer to the media, which honestly pisses me off. I think Foegele has done like 5 post games so far for no reason other than he's one of the few guys that has actually shown up in nearly every game even the really bad ones.

McDavid is the captain, put him out there.

You would think, but neither of them really answer the questions anyway. I've never seen two more passive-aggressive dudes on the same team before. I rarely take anything away (other than that) from their interviews.

M Ace

Apr 12, 2010
Orebro, Sweden
Because he was once again significantly worse than the other team's goalie.
How can you say that?

The team left him floating on all 4 goals. If Dallas had made them same to Wedgewood we’ve could’ve scored 15!
My lord this fanbase needs scapegoats!

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

You are acting like you need to be elite to score on skinner. Broberg would probably get one.

Yah I think a muffin would get it. You think skinner is holding his own against 50 shots? He couldn’t hold his own against 15.

Last edited:
Reactions: mkatcherin00

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You are acting like you need to be elite to score on skinner. Broberg would probably get one.

Yah I think a muffin would get it. You think skinner is holding his own against 50 shots? He couldn’t hold his own against 15.
The Alex Chiasson shootout attempt is about how well the Oilers shoot.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
I'm one of the harshest critics of this team, but I didn't actually think it was that bad yesterday.. but once again they ended up taking the loss. They remain 14? 16? points behind Vegas and this team continues to spiral / circle the drain into mediocrity. Just a miserable start and they continue to punch themselves in the face with poor performance by different sets of players on each night.

I don't even know where to begin to clean this mess up, because if you can't get a save from your goalies, never mind a timely one, and you are so restricted on cap that you can't even afford to bring up players who are demonstrating they deserve a chance.. how do you get out of it? That f***ing moron they floated in from Detroit has created such an absolute dog's breakfast of the roster and cap management that they can't even do anything to try and shake up the roster or change the complexion of this line up.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
You would think, but neither of them really answer the questions anyway. I've never seen two more passive-aggressive dudes on the same team before. I rarely take anything away (other than that) from their interviews.

I'm not really that interested in their answers, just think it's bullshit that the team has seemed to basically make it policy for the guy that actually showed up to bear the burden of answering why his 19 other teammates decided to half ass it.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Even when Gagner scored to make it 4-3, I wasn't celebrating too hard because I just knew we wouldn't be able to complete the comeback. Not to be a downer. It's hard to have faith in this years club because of how inconsistent they've been. McDrai especially. But they're both probably injured.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
How can you say that?

The team left him floating on all 4 goals. If Dallas had made them same to Wedgewood we’ve could’ve scored 15!
My lord this fanbase needs scapegoats!

Say what you want about Ceci pinching on that led to the 2 on 1 but that 1st goal Skinner let in was ugh. He seems to let in an awful lot of 5 hole goals

It'd be nice if he can stop one of those now and then

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Meh I'm not sold on Brown. They've all had games put together where they were somewhat defensively responsible and looked good. It's just that it rotates through the whole team.

Kane was f***ing awful, then turns it around. Is just an example. It's a merry go round of players rotating into garbage play/games.

They have a next man up mentality. Except it's for mistakes. This game players X,Y,Z
Next game players A,B,C
Next game players M,N,O

Heck the most consistent players on the team this year have been the goalies. Consistently below average is the problem.
Completely disagree with the bolded. This team has been consistently bad defensively the entire season and its mostly the same players. There isnt enough commitment to the work required to be a better defensive team. Some players like Kane (moreso) and Brown have found their physical/defensive games and that was primarily due to effort. That hasnt rotated through the lineup at all. Same players...same types of mistakes.
Too many players are just not putting in the effort. Probably because with 2 nuclear weapons you dont really need to.
This teams MO is to try and outscore their mistakes. That IMO is pretty clear.

Oilerfan4lyfe

Mar 22, 2014
How can anyone defend Skinner? An average goalie gives up 2.5 goals in last night’s game, he allows 4. Dallas had 10 high danger chances and scored 4, we had 17 and scored 3.

Goaltending on our team is atrocious. Yeah, sure you can say stop giving up odd man rushes and all that, but the goalie needs to fricken stop something.

If Skinner plays to that of an average NHL goalie, we should have statistically won 3-2 or at least gone into OT.

How many games has our goalie been better than the one for the other team? Two? Skinner blew the second Vancouver game too.

Campbell hasn’t been much better so both guys can screw off. Or maybe it’s Schwartz that needs the kick.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
How can anyone defend Skinner? An average goalie gives up 2.5 goals in last night’s game, he allows 4. Dallas had 10 high danger chances and scored 4, we had 17 and scored 3.

Goaltending on our team is atrocious. Yeah, sure you can say stop giving up odd man rushes and all that, but the goalie needs to fricken stop something.

If Skinner plays to that of an average NHL goalie, we should have statistically won 3-2 or at least gone into OT.

How many games has our goalie been better than the one for the other team? Two? Skinner blew the second Vancouver game too.

Campbell hasn’t been much better so both guys can screw off. Or maybe it’s Schwartz that needs the kick.
Most of our fanbase thinks every Grade A we give up is an auto goal.....Meanwhile, SJ has a better team save% than us...

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Interesting to see how much difference a smart player makes to this team.
Why would that be...because this team doesnt have enough of them. Gagner is a smart player and it really showed last night,
So many massive mistakes by this team at the wrong time. Vet teams like Vegas and Dallas will just continue to make them pay. Even well coached teams like Vancouver have made them pay.

What we have here (now that Brown is out) is essentially a 2 and a half line team of players that (for the most part) cant seem to make sense of the defensive part of the game and relies almost exclusively on outscoring their mistakes.
That is why I am not hammering on Connor Brown like many posters are doing.
He isnt part of the problem. He has been excellent defensively the last 3-4 games and scoring is just a matter of time. I dont have an issue with a player that isnt costing the team because he plays strong defence. He does something that too many players on this team wont or cant seem to do.
That's where the problem with this team lies. The Oilers lack of intelligence/lack of commitment on defence is the reason why this team is 2-6-1.
You cant continue to try and score 4 to 5 goals per game (outscore your mistakes) and expect to be a contending team.
Its just not going to happen.
Until that changes this team isnt going anywhere.
Connor Brown has been a medium GA player his last full season in Ottawa and the two short bits of seasons since. Brown was -15 that last ottawa season. -4 in Washington and now -5 here. Those are not swimming numbers.

Theres no indication whatsoever that Brown has been strong here defensively. I think more the case is that a player is rumored to be of a certain type and people believe it no matter what the player is actually doing.

Connor Brown mostly has been getting easy minutes here against mostly bottomsix opposition in last several games and couldn't even produce a drop. Gagner gets dropped into a bottomsix spot one game and sports 2 goals. With Gags also showing an improved 200ft game.

Finally Connor Brown is age 30 in 2mths, is damaged goods with extensive injury, and is now injured yet again. This is as good as Connor Brown will look. Likelihood is getting worse from here.

cut
bait
now

This was an awful signing.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Connor Brown has been a medium GA player his last full season in Ottawa and the two short bits of seasons since. Brown was -15 that last ottawa season. -4 in Washington and now -5 here. Those are not swimming numbers.

Theres no indication whatsoever that Brown has been strong here defensively. I think more the case is that a player is rumored to be of a certain type and people believe it no matter what the player is actually doing.

Connor Brown mostly has been getting easy minutes here against mostly bottomsix opposition in last several games and couldn't even produce a drop. Gagner gets dropped into a bottomsix spot one game and sports 2 goals. With Gags also showing an improved 200ft game.

Finally Connor Brown is age 30 in 2mths, is damaged goods with extensive injury, and is now injured yet again. This is as good as Connor Brown will look. Likelihood is getting worse from here.

cut
bait
now

This was an awful signing.
So...you really want to use +/- to establish a players defensive ability?
You really want to base an argument on the quality of a players value defensively on that flawed stat?
Very weak.

Reactions: TB12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad