Post-Game Talk: Gagner > McDrai

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I mean the Oilers track record over the past two decades speaks for itself. Zero impact players drafted since McDavid. No starting goalies drafted since Fuhr.

Whatever these bozos are doing it’s not working and I’m not convinced it’s going to be different without sweeping changes.

It's almost kinda funny that the last time the Oilers drafted a goalie who was a starter for them, Ronald Reagan was alive and the US president, the Berlin Wall was standing, Madonna's career hadn't even started, and video games looked like this:

a4f877_011744a8632946aeae314e1792963fb0~mv2.jpg

Donkey Kong was still a year away from being invented, lol.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
We arent' making it as long as woody is coach. These here are coach kill efforts. Team has done it before. The difference this time is this is a roster that was supposed to go far.
Sad to say :( when he took over for Tip, I was pretty happy with him but this year there is so many mistakes and he just doesn’t seem to be showing any effort to change things.

With that said…. I still believe the oilers can go on a 5 or 6 game win streak and get back into the thick of things. But…. Does anyone here truly believe we could beat Vegas lol? The ultimate goal is to go to the Stanley cup. No point is squeaking into the playoffs and getting stomped by Vegas or Colorado

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Bob Green is the Chief Amateur Scout and from what I understand was the guy who pushed hard for Reinhart.

Scouting Staff​

Chief Amateur Scout: Bob Green

Well f*** me then. I thought he got shuffled to some other random role.

Great interview by Kane post game. No Drai or McDavid interview, but I rarely click on those anymore.

If we lose it has been the tendency this year for the team to only make the players that weren't a joke on the night to answer to the media, which honestly pisses me off. I think Foegele has done like 5 post games so far for no reason other than he's one of the few guys that has actually shown up in nearly every game even the really bad ones.

McDavid is the captain, put him out there.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Sure looks like Vegas is going to repeat. I think the true cup final will be whatever round the Knights inevitably play the Avs, so likely the conference finals.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Oilers333

Jul 8, 2022
So, what you're saying is you dont know what you're talking about?
haha ok bud. Im just not a stat slave, they dont tell the whole story for me and shouldn't for anyone else. People absolutely live and die by them. Not saying your one of those people, I dont know you. But its silly IMO that people formulate opinions strictly based on very surface level basic stats that dont even come close to telling the whole story.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I've never seen as many puck bobbles as I have this season from McDavid.

Something isn't right with him. I mean they used "career 40% FO man" Nuge in place of McD during PP's when Drai got waived [waved?] off the dot.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
What did Kane say? I stopped listening to any post game comments from any players or coaches a long time ago. It's always all useless fluff
Reporter more or less said “there is a sense you guys are a good team.”

Kane said basically f*** off with that we need to show it on the ice.

Then he said they played some solid hockey but they can’t keep making the big mistakes.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Sure looks like Vegas is going to repeat. I think the true cup final will be whatever round the Knights inevitably play the Avs, so likely the conference finals.
Hard to make such predictions after 9 or 10 games in an 82 game season. Lots can happen, injuries, etc. They look good right now, but it's a highly competitive league with a lot of parity, and really tough to repeat. Hell, Boston looked like a shoo-in after a historically great regular season last year, and they went out in the first round.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Hard to make such predictions after 9 or 10 games in an 82 game season. Lots can happen, injuries, etc. They look good right now, but it's a highly competitive league with a lot of parity, and really tough to repeat. Hell, Boston looked like a shoo-in after a historically great regular season last year, and they went out in the first round.
Is it a highly competitive league though? There’s maybe 6 teams at most right now that are good.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
haha ok bud. Im just not a stat slave, they dont tell the whole story for me and shouldn't for anyone else. People absolutely live and die by them. Not saying your one of those people, I dont know you. But its silly IMO that people formulate opinions strictly based on very surface level basic stats that dont even come close to telling the whole story.
Results are more important than your eye test.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Did they beat 2 of the favourites? Yes they did.

I'm not sure what you're trying to provoke or where you're attempting to go with this, but I'm done. Go argue with someone else on something else inane , like you usually do.
The goal for most playoff teams is to win the Cup. Upsets happen but the underdog never takes home the trophy.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The goal for most playoff teams is to win the Cup. Upsets happen but the underdog never takes home the trophy.
How many Presidents Trophy winners have won the cup in the last 20 years?

Like I said, just piss off, and go argue about something stupid on another thread, like you usually do.

Reactions: Senor Catface

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Interesting to see how much difference a smart player makes to this team.
Why would that be...because this team doesnt have enough of them. Gagner is a smart player and it really showed last night,
So many massive mistakes by this team at the wrong time. Vet teams like Vegas and Dallas will just continue to make them pay. Even well coached teams like Vancouver have made them pay.

What we have here (now that Brown is out) is essentially a 2 and a half line team of players that (for the most part) cant seem to make sense of the defensive part of the game and relies almost exclusively on outscoring their mistakes.
That is why I am not hammering on Connor Brown like many posters are doing.
He isnt part of the problem. He has been excellent defensively the last 3-4 games and scoring is just a matter of time. I dont have an issue with a player that isnt costing the team because he plays strong defence. He does something that too many players on this team wont or cant seem to do.
That's where the problem with this team lies. The Oilers lack of intelligence/lack of commitment on defence is the reason why this team is 2-6-1.
You cant continue to try and score 4 to 5 goals per game (outscore your mistakes) and expect to be a contending team.
Its just not going to happen.
Until that changes this team isnt going anywhere.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Sam Gagner was on the Oilers 2nd line in the 13-14 season with Eakins. Now he's back on the 2nd line, 10 years later.

Which tells you how it's been going management wise here.

Sign Phil Kessel FFS too ... why not at this point.

Reactions: M Ace

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Its still early but these vet teams that are 100% committed to a defensive system will beat the Oilers in a 7 game series every time.
Perhaps thats the curse of having 2 superstar players. The team identity will always be that they can outscore their mistakes.
That sure seems to be the case with this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad